Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giavanna_severino

Any tips on how to add curb appeal?

Giavanna Severino
last year
last modified: last year

We know this house has beautiful potential but we have no idea where to start to bring it out! please help! this home was built in 1927

Comments (5)

• Sigrid
    last year

Start with a real picture, not a photoshopped real estate pic. Next, I suspect it had a fairly substantial addition in the not-too-distant past. That nested gable was not common in 1927. Then, look at the neighbor's houses. Particularly the doors.

It's a nice house with strong, simple massing. You don't need to do much.

Giavanna Severino thanked Sigrid
  • roarah
    last year

I think your original front entrance was a porch. I would get larger shutters for the full windows, a new door/ storm door. and and hang a nice copper mailbox to the left of the door under a nice exterior lantern.

Just changing the door will make a great difference

Houses that kept the porches

Yours might have looked like this originally

I have an a similar age house it has an original front vestibule so nested gables can be authentic.

Giavanna Severino thanked roarah
  • kculbers
    last year

Consider painting your front door a nice bright color and planting some pink Dogwood trees on the property.

Giavanna Severino thanked kculbers
  • Giavanna Severino
    Original Author
    last year

Yes it was originally an open porch but now it is just a screened in porch. im thinking of maybe doing like a double storm door like of look. something like this:

• Lars
    last year

I would get rid of the shutters altogether. If you like, you could replace the trim around the windows with something more substantial than what they have now, like the houses next door to you.

The shutters do not go with the bay window IMO.