Software
Houzz Logo Print
nonashouse

need help with dark living room

3 years ago

Living room needs updated
First I’m definitely getting rid of popcorn ceiling and I’m thinking about taking out the chevron wood on the top and dry walling it. Can’t decide about board and batten ~painting or leaving ~
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments (10)

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Start by scraping the popcorn ceilings and then remove the chevron that doesn't line up with the board and batten.

    Next, I would remove the carpet and then reevaluate the situation.

    Depending on what you do with the flooring, you might want panelized walls in wood.



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Everything Beverly said, plus scrub the fireplace. Get a beefy mantel in wood that matches your trim. Paint firebox black in paint especially for fireplaces.



    Open plan Living room · More Info


  • PRO
    3 years ago

    There are too many tones and patterns not working together.


    i would say remove the chevron pattern, as that definitely looks like an afterthought.


    From there, it depends on what you want the feel of the room to be. Do you have any inspiration photos of the direction you'd like?

  • 3 years ago

    CDR Design, yes I found two but I’m not sure if thy would work with my kitchen that was done by someone and it is
    Modern gray and white so if I follow that theme if they would work?

  • 3 years ago

    Or leave the wood instead of painting it?/

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    It is so hard to judge from photos, but what I see is the chevron design in pine(?). Maybe the best part of the room. I think I would leave the chevron and paint what I think is just plywood. Ceiling...for sure get rid of the popcorn.




  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The panelized wood wainscot looks to be an expensive installation. You don't have Board and Batten but a wood veneer panelized installation of wainscoting.


    I would not remove it, and I would evaluate it after the 70's chevron wood is removed.

    You might want to consider just updating the finish of the wood.










  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Thanks for those inspo photos. Do you like those rooms you posted? What about the kitchen? Do you like it? Can you please post a photo of the kitchen?


    Of the 2 photos, I think the this one is more appealing, although I suggest a less formal feel and without the arts and crafts touches. Obviously, inspiration photos, as you know, are only that....inspiration.


    I feel the other room, the board and batten is just too dominant in that dark tone.


    Does this board and batten repeat itself in other areas of the home?


    Painting the board and batten a light color and the walls the same light tone will leave the feature, while minimizing the contrast.

    One thing I am not liking is where the board and batten ends vertically.


    If it were my space, I'd remove it altogether for a cleaner look. Let the fireplace and the dark beams shine



  • 3 years ago

    I’d remove the popcorn, chevron pine, and carpeting. The board and batten is a more expensive treatment and seems to be in good condition. Depending on your preference/approach, you could either keep the board and batten as is…I certainly think it could work with updated furnishings…or paint it all. Consider how you will furnish the space. Do you want the background for your furnishings to be the wood finish or would you rather have a painted background? I’m leaning towards painting the fireplace, but it depends on what is decided for the board and batten and the style of furnishings. If you want keep the 70’s vibe, just clean the brick.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Can we get more pics of the room it is hard to see all that is going on. Do you have a wood floor under the carpeting? Do you want to keep the lodge look? We suggest removing the saloon doors. The beams look great. Ageed, the popcorn ceiling should go. What do you want to replace it with, a tongue and grove pine?

    Here is a pic of ours. We have a lodge style but without the antlers.