Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

African items, blankets, baskets, etc.

socks
last year

I have a collection of vintage African items collected in the late 60's from Sub-Saharan Africa, Niger. It includes statuary, blankets, fabric, woven baskets. I would like to sell them so I can donate the money to an African charity organization. I'm just not sure what would be the best way, ebay or?

I know there are buyers for these items, just don't know how to reach them. I'm not looking to make a killing, just get them into some proper hands and make a little for my charity. It pains me to think of such items going for $10 at a yard sale.

Comments (11)

• linda campbell
    last year

Agree....but might add to look on ebay and other selling sites to see if you can find people interested ins uch items....and find a way to contact them to get you into a groujp....or prhaps search of Facebook for a collectors group of African art....artifacts....souvenires etc.

Good luck!

socks thanked linda campbell
  • Olychick
    last year

Also check with some African American museums to see if any of the items might be of interest to them...or even any local museum that may have an African collection. You wouldn't make $, but could get a hefty tax break, which could translate into $ you could donate to your charity.

socks thanked Olychick
  • socks
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you, all. We will probably try ebay. There are some similar blankets there for $250 and one for over $400. We would take a lot less than those. Just want to make a bit for the group that helps by giving grants in Niger.

• Sigrid
    last year

I'd contact a museum and see if they can give you an idea of price. Some museums are really helpful. It's not uncommon that a collection of that sort might have mostly stuff for the tourist trade of no great value and one or two gems.

You could also ask your chosen charity. They might have an auction and they'd attract the right buyers.

socks thanked Sigrid
  • woodrose
    last year

Make sure to look at the "sold" listings on ebay to learn value, not what sellers are asking.

socks thanked woodrose
  • socks
    Original Author
    last year

Sigrid, yes we are in touch with the charity. They haven't gotten back to us yet. We're also contacting an African American museum. Frankly, I can't find the "sold" listings on ebay. Would it be on the page for a similar item, Woodrose?

• blubird
    last year

You should be able to see the sold items by entering your search terms and scrolling down the list on the extreme left hand side and putting a checkmark in the ’completed’ category. The items which have actually sold have the sale price in green. unsold items show the list price in red.

socks thanked blubird
  • socks
    Original Author
    last year

Ahhh.....thank you!

• lindsey_9002
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can you post the link to your ebay site once you get them listed? Or private message it to me? I have a few vintage pieces that I inherited from my grandma as well as purchased on consignment so would fit in with my aesthetic. And while I’m sure there’s a market for them, I personally am not into the mass-produced look-alike pieces. So I‘d be interested in purchasing some of the items myself.

• socks
    Original Author
    last year

OK, will do, Lindsey. I'll let you know what I do with the items, but it will be at least a month before deciding.