Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_31257

Paint color help

3 years ago

Looking for help with paint color choices for my dining room. I need to paint before we finish out the windows but I’m stuck with color choices.

Traditional cape style home layout. All the other rooms downstairs are painted in SW Repose Gray. Floors are rustic oak throughout.

I’m trying to decided between: repose gray, BM edge comb gray or SW evergreen fog.

My concern with the green is that my sofa is Pottery Barn Sierra red in color and I’m not sure how the flow from the green to the repose gray living room with the red couch will look.

I don’t have a style per say, but like relaxed/cozy.

Comments (8)

  • 3 years ago

    Room is a south-west facing room.

  • 3 years ago

    I don't know why you wouldn't stick with the Repose Gray that is everywhere else. Everyone doesn't have to have continuity, but if you like the color I can't think of any reason to diverge from it. Grays are usually good in southern exposures. I agree with you about Evergreen Fog and your sofa. I don't know exactly what color that red is, but anytime you put green and red together you're running the risk of making people think about Christmas. :-) I love Evergreen Fog as a color - maybe there is another room you could use it in? It seems like it would be easier to carry off in your dining room. Or use it in a bathroom or bedroom. It is a dark color, so I would only use it as an accent wall, or in a room with a lot of natural light. Dark colors can be cozy, however, if that's the look you're going for.

  • 3 years ago

    I'd stay with the Repose Gray and swap the Hutch with the wash basin stand.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'd also stay with Repose Gray. For an accent, I suggest painting the railing and bottom post of the staircase in black and also replacing the fan above the dining table with a black chandelier, and accessorize the top of your hutch..


    While you're painting, if you paint the risers white in your staicase, the oak steps with stand out and your staircase will look brighter.



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I think Evergreen Fog could look beautiful in there. It’s hard to say, not being there in person, but I think it might be an interesting look and set the room apart. (And I know I’ll be the lone dissenter.)

    Informative articles about it:

    https://modandmood.com/sherwin-williams-evergreen-fog-2022-color-of-the-year-plus-dupes-sw-9130/

    https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-colour-review-sherwin-williams-evergreen-fog-9130/

  • 3 years ago

    I too would use the color you have on the rest of your first floor. Is it also what is on the staircase walls? This room is open to other spaces and the stairs, I think it would be an odd room in which to paint a different color. You are smart to think about the clash with the red sofa. If you are craving more zing or a deep green, introduce it by way or painted furniture, artwork, or accessories.

  • 3 years ago

    Since the Sienna Red sofa is in the room, I think the blues and grays are the wrong direction.


    With those beautiful oak floors and oak pieces in the dining room, I'd try some of these shades to work w/the wood and the red.


    Luckiy, Respose gray does coordinating w/the pink/red tones


    (If you had a blue sofa, then the blue tones would be fine. but not w/the red)


    you could go w/more of a taupe gray, but I think the dining room would look so pretty in any of the blushy/mauve tones. Make sure the white trim is also on the red end of the color spectrum. (polite white and Ibis white are)



    if you want a grayish green, I suppose you could do that too (shown here w/Repose



    Personally I think the blush colors look nicer.


    why not get a few samples and just paint one of the walls with it?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    South/West light...hot, introduces yellow into the room. Consider dark gray:



    This is B.M. Steel Wool, a suggestion from Kylie M Interiors. It will work with natural light, your floors and a great backdrop for the sofa.



    Your dark stair wall can be painted a brighter color...a green: