Software
Houzz Logo Print
jkt182

Updated the golden oak look to a modern black/white

13 years ago
We decided to update our boring kitchen. Even though putting granite and a nice backsplash in a house in our neighborhood might be overkill we'll definitely enjoy it for years to come before we sell. And that's all that should matter. ;)

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    Very nice! And it Does matter to enjoy it while you live there. Who knows, when you sell it might just be the tipping point for someone and you could sell sooner.
  • 13 years ago
    Love it! Really interesting layout. I'm glad you didn't change it.
  • 13 years ago
    Nice!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Kitchens are used and used and used! Yes, make changes if you want! Nice changes here! Enjoy!
  • 13 years ago
    Love it!!! I want an island for my kitchen!
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice!
  • 13 years ago
    Great job! Very nice. I've gotta say it...the light fixture over the sink isn't elegant enough for your new fab kitchen. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice, but I'd take down all the art above the sink. The kitchen is artistic enough. The art makes it a bit busy.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Great job! I think Darzy may be on to something regarding the light. I don't see a problem with the artwork at all, its lovely. A tailored well proportioned semi flush fixture would be modern and a nice compliment to your finishes. Although a glamorous option with some bling would be so perfectly over the top.
  • 13 years ago
    ritevibe, The island is 38" x 26." Here is an image of the measurements.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great choice on painting the existing cabinets and adding the counter/backsplash, now the floor makes sense and brings the whole space up to another level. So......about those outlets/switches on the backsplash and the one in the Island. Please switch them out for a dark one on the island and dark or med toned on the backsplash. And I agree that the light fixture could also use an update.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the sizes and drawings jkt182 , that's been a huge help!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What a transformation! I'm trying to work out from the pictures if that's a new sink or if the work top is covering it? :)
  • 13 years ago
    Love it! Are these the same cabinets? Were they professionally stained or a DIY? Were were thinking about staining our orangey Maple cabinets.
  • 13 years ago
    @kustin, that is a new sink and faucet. It is an under-mount sink. @browniebear, those are the original cabinets. We filled in the holes with wood putty so we could reposition them. We had our handyman friend sand them, drill new holes, and sprayed oil-based paint instead of staining them.
  • 13 years ago
    Nicely done, but for me the Island wouldn't work... it's blocking the fridge doors and if one needs something from the fridge while cooking, one has to walk around the island all the time.
    It's just not how I work in the kitchen...
    But I like that the sink and stove are connected by benchspace.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wow, such a great transformation. What kind of backsplash is that?
  • 13 years ago
    @US Door, that is a Casa Antica Stick Glass Mosaic Tile called GLA Tomanivi. We purchased it from a local Tile store here in Dallas
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of chunky looking granite. I like yours just fine. It's simplicity made it so that you can add that beautiful backsplash. Lovely job on your kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm a fan. nice work :-)