Software
Houzz Logo Print
christa_holmes83

How would you redo this room

3 years ago

We’re moving into this house and want to update it and make more our style. i like simple and classic, some more modern touches. we want to remove the large built in in this family room open to the kitchen & eat-in area. if we remove it, the window is exactly as you see it, large and starts halfway up the wall — worried it will look odd.


left side of room is a large sliding glass door to the pool (not main door we will use).


i want to add some neutrals and brighten up the space to make it more modern. thoughts thoughts?





Comments (10)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    This is a duplicate post. Why are you starting a new one with exactly the same question? You could answer the questions of people who were trying to help on your original thread and perhaps get more advice.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6355084/how-would-you-update-this-living-room

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The answer was right here: 23 days ago

    "If your budget allows, I'd consider replacing the window as well. What kind of fireplace is that? It doesn't look like it's got a flue. I'd reconfigure that entire wall if possible.

    You'd get better advice if you showed photos of the entire room, and added a dimensioned floor plan."

    If your rip the built in? Plan on replacing all the flooring in that room, and a new "built in", straight across. Or an entirely new window, exterior fix etc.

    You aren't IN the house yet. Just getting rid of ten paint colors, will be project enough. : )

    It's completely out of context with the surrounding slider.......it's not modern, and it's a big project to be done well. Start the piggy bank.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Hi. Congrats on the new house!


    Good idea to remove that built-in. A couple of photos below. I realize these are not your style, but the same design principle rules:


    You need something wider than the window to ground the space below the window. Ideally a simple built-in or likely 2 or 3 consoles side-by-side put together to look like one. Then tv over the console, if you are wanting a tv.


    A couple of issues I am seeing:


    1) Is this the only window in this house this style? It doesn't work well with all of the other linear angles in the space.


    2) Furniture. Looks like a challenge to place furniture with the angled countertop.


    Can you


    1) Post photos of all 4 walls of the space.

    2) Post a floor plan of the space.


    Thanks!



  • PRO
    3 years ago

    IMO duplicate posts are just irritating .

  • 3 years ago

    Is it a gas fireplace? Will you be keeping the fireplace? I think the built-in adds character. Perhaps just covering the open areas of the built-in with plain doors will make it blend in more.

  • 3 years ago

    Fist things first. Move in and get settled. Figure out your budget and figure out what works and doesn't work before developing a plan for renovating your home.


    Then prioritize the work and figure out what is practical and what costs more to change than it is worth.


    If I were planning on renovating just this room I would find out the cost of removing/replacing the window. My guess is that this would cost far more than I would want to spend.

    The second thing I would think about is how I use the space and how I would like to change the space in order for it to function best.

    Without knowing what you need from the space or having a full picture of the space it is super challenging for anyone to determine how to fix your issue.


    I would probably want to remove or reconfigure the built in. Maybe I would place the sofa on that wall under the window or I may place a desk under the window. I also may create something like a sideboard under the window and move a table into that space as a dining or game room.


    If the TV has to be on that wall I would create a low, wide, shallow unit under the window.


    Again, without enough information any feedback is probably going to be useless.

  • 3 years ago

    I would paint before I tore out the built-ins.

    Paint out the brown, red, and yellow wall colors and paint all the walls a nice white.

    Then paint the existing built-ins a solid color. Charcoal gray, possibly white or a blue. Apply liquid sandpaper, then primer and paint.

    Get three white box blinds for the three windows to lower and block the arched portion of the glass while still allowing light through. Hang them high up the wall.

    This is a cheap easy way to completely change the look and then see how you feel. The second inspo photo from @CDR Design, LLC is beautiful with the gray built-ins.

  • PRO
  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago