Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_95525

colour options and furniture placement

3 years ago

My sister would like to paint this wall. The whole space is covered with the current wall colour. I’d like her to paint the whole space but if she doesn’t, what would you paint this feature wall. Also the whole thing isn’t working for me. I think that piece of furniture and mirror is too small. Thoughts?

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Sorry but really that wall is not a feature it is just a cluttered mess. Is the wall faux finished ? IMO take awy everything except the cabinet and maybe the mirror then take another pic and also pics of the room next to this space . IMO faux sponged walls are so dated and pretty ugly to be honest . The folding chairs the weird lamps the extra choirs all need to be gone.Take the wall decor aways andstart with a clean slate and some pics o f the other spaces please . Post everytihng to do with this dilemma in comments on this post do not start another post.

  • 3 years ago

    Don't quite understand what we'd be voting for, as both photos show the same space from a different angle.

    Is it your house or your sister's? That makes a difference.

    What I see is what looks like a faux texture/sponge paint treatment on the walls...I would paint the whole space, declutter, take all the extra chairs away, remove the fake 'greenery' hanging on the mirror. The mirror is not necessarily too large, but it is too large to be over that piece of furniture. This would not be my choice of decor, and perhaps not yours, but if it your sister's home, then it is her decision. If she is asking for help, I know many people on Houzz will be eager to offer good ideas. Mine: paint whole room a solid color, then add back items judiciously: if the cabinet is staying, get a smaller, maybe taller, mirror or piece of artwork, do not line chairs up along the wall. What colors are in the room to the right? There is a lot of beige there now. What does the furniture in the LR look like?

  • 3 years ago

    I agree with Patricia and decorpatti. That would be a good atart.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Do yourself a favor. Smile and walk away. Your sister's taste is not yours, and you won't cure her: ) or change her. One picture tells me that.

    Move on.......stay friends AND help in another way.

    You won't be friends if you meddle and I need one look to know that





  • 3 years ago

    Haha. No it is not me meddling. She reached out to me asking for help. I thought I’d ask others for their opinion. I would never impose my thoughts on my sisters.

  • 3 years ago

    Both photos are the same space just a different perspective. I like the idea of turning the mirror vertical. And yes it is a textured wall through the lower level. She had it done when had the hope built. She lives in Las Vegas NV and I live in Ontario Canada so our conversations are though texts.

  • 3 years ago

    I think I would paint the whole room or leave it alone. I like the idea of the mirror being placed veritcally. It might also look good to flank the sideboard with the two chairs.

  • 3 years ago

    I would only paint the entire space the same color. I would never paint that wall a separate color for a "feature wall". In general, I think feature walls are mostly dated (sorry), but they really only ever worked when the wall being featured offered some architectural interest. Choosing a random wall in a room to paint a different color just makes the space disjointed.


    I love @Celery. Visualization, Rendering images's rendering. As always. :)

  • 3 years ago

    Agree that the whole space should be repainted. Feature walls rarely work. Celery gave you a nice neutral that works with the tile. Maybe BM Muslin or SW Natural Linen? Make sure you sample them in the space first.

    Also using a grout paint the color of the tile will minimize the visual noise.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The cost of paint and taking less than a day to do the whole room, it will be transformed. If she is interested, could sell the mirror on Marketplace and add a lighter mirror and rethink the accessories. With it being the front entrance it’s nice to create a welcoming first impression, so nothing else on that wall.


  • 3 years ago

    Agree with others- repaint the whole space or leave it alone.

  • 3 years ago

    Technically that area is the front hallway ..not an accent wall…approach it with that in mind…with nothing that sticks out too much..the finish also sort of “dictates” the decor of the home…either change all of it or none of it