Software
Houzz Logo Print
eric_miller7129

curb appeal - help!

3 years ago

How can I enhance the curb appeal to this house? It seems so bland and boring.

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I gave you ideas of landscaping in your previous post.

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, thank you for that! Great suggestions. I’m considering some of those as we purchase new plants. My question now is on the exterior of the house. Paint? Shutters? Corbels? I dunno. It’s very bland and boring to me.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I think your house is very nice looking, and not at all bland or boring. I agree that landscaping is going to make a big difference.

    Here's some inspiration:









    So let me point out a few things. I'm no landscape expert, but here's something I see in these photos that you might consider. Paver or stone walkway lined with brighter color.

    Levels to the yard: terraces, steps, or a hilly berm would provide interest. A couple of trees with height that allow the view from the sidewalk to "unfold" rather than be a house just smack in front with a level yard. I would want a fence or low wall somewhere, so pretty plants can line it or spill over the top. It needs some variation of plantings, also. Look at how a burgundy-leafed tree provides variation and mystery in the 4th photo. Love that.

  • 3 years ago

    " Paint? Shutters? Corbels? "


    No, no , and no. Landscaping. Leave the house itself alone, it is fine and not the issue.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I don't find the brick particularly appealing. Paint might pep the house up. BUT, be warned - once painted your house can never be unpainted.

  • 3 years ago

    Better landscaping, including some hardscaping - planters, retaining walls, etc. Your driveway and sidewalk could be retextured. But what stands out the most is the garage door - it’s a big, flat uninteresting surface.

  • 3 years ago

    DO NOT PAINT THE BRICK. Paint all the trim a contrasting darker colour (including the garage). See the first response picture. Remove the "sentinel" row of green bushes that seem to say,"Stay out." And add or wait for fresh landscaping to do the rest.

  • 3 years ago

    Garage door and the front door seem to be the wrong color…I would match them to one of the main colors in the brick. The house itself is very attractive.
    Give the front garden some nice edging material…neatly-installed brick. Maybe you can add a dwarf open-branched tree in front of the red roses. Add a low wall between your driveway and the neighbor’s yard.

  • 3 years ago

    Focus on landscaping and don't tart up a nice proportional home with unnecessary doodads (I am officially my grandmother 😅)

  • 3 years ago

    Looks fine to me.

  • 3 years ago

    If you can get a photo uploaded so you can play with trim-and-garage-door colors, that might help. You can go darker on the garage and front door (something like Iron Ore) but it’s better to play around on your computer than make a mistake.

    Don’t paint the brick. Upgrade your landscaping first, then see how you feel about your house.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The house is fine as it is. I wouldn't do anything except possibly replace the garage door with one with windows. With all the money you save on the house you can afford to hire a landscape designer to create a planting plan, then you can execute it.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    After landscape, (that giant brown mulch pit isn't doing much)

    the only thing I'd redo is the garage door, front door and trim color. I don't care for the garage color. I'd go darker. and do a darker fascia trim. diff front door too


    I like the style of this garage door. it's shown here in black, which is a bit harsh, but any of the other tones would be nice, especially Urbane Bronze. all that light trim near the roof, also redo in the dark color. don't know if you can paint the white trim around the windows/side lites, but I'd do those too.

    if you're ever replacing the windows, get the bronze color.

    You could also do a wood garage door:


    more dramatic change


  • 3 years ago

    Get a Samplize of Urbane Bronze. See if you like it next to your brick. It’s warmer than Iron Ore but both are nice.

  • 3 years ago

    Here’s mock-ups of urbane bronze and iron ore. Both seem a little dark and harsh, no?

  • 3 years ago

    I agree with most here….the house is not the problem, but the boring garage door color is. No shutters, no way, not on this style house! Landscape, new door and garage door color, and it’ll look like new. Good luck!