Software
Houzz Logo Print
michael_moser23

stain on new wood floor

3 years ago

We have new white oak floors/stairs sealed with natural clear coat (posted the seal we used), we had cleaners come and when I came home there was this stain on our stairs! They claim that it was there (it was not) and it seems to smell like pledge and or some cleaning solution.

Any ideas on how to get this out?

Do we sand it and re seal or what?

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Was a sealer used with the X96? X96 is a one component poly. Does it go away after it is completely dry? If not, then a cleaning product with a high ph balance damaged it. You will need a spot repair.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks for the reply, yeah they did 3 coats of different things for the floors, so I assume a sealer was used.

    What does a spot repair mean, new wood or can they fix the existing wood?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    "What does a spot repair mean, new wood or can they fix the existing wood?"

    They will attempt to refinish just that "area". What and how deep the stain has set will determine if the spot repair is acceptable of they may need to change the wood.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    It's a stair tread, just have the one stair tread redone.

  • 3 years ago

    Unfortunately there are custom newel post on that tread, so it does make it much more involved to do that.

    I have the floor guys that did the finish coming out Thursday to see if they can fix it in place, I will keep y’all posted.

    We just can’t figure out what it’s from, cleaning people are saying they did not do it but it was not there before they came, so we are thinking some cleaning product like pledge (it smells like that).

  • 3 years ago

    That happened to my wood floor. Cleaners. Same story. Was using them for a few months to have it established by the time of my daughters wedding. The last, and I mean last time the crew had a bucket of water out for mopping! Crews change and what you think is settled (I.e. using preferred spray on Bona cleaner) is not. Remodel is underway and when done and I won’t use cleaners . There are too many ways to ruin your surfaces. Was reading post about coated stainless steel fridges…the stainless wipes will ruin it. Only those microfiber clothes are to be used!

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Floor guy just needs to refinish the single tread. It's routine with or without post and balusters.

  • 3 years ago

    Oh I thought you mean new wood stairs, got cha, they are coming Thursday to check it out. Fingers crossed they can sand it down and reseal

  • 3 years ago

    How new? Days, or more?

    Pledge seems an unlikely candidate, though it does look like it was something around the size of an aerosol can. I suppose Pledge could do that if the finish isn't cured. The culprits I've seen most are oven cleaner, ammoniated glass cleaner, caustic bathroom cleaners and even blood. I'd analyze what might have been used to clean something in that immediate area and check the sizes of cleaners in cans to see if one corresponds to the size of the stain.

  • 3 years ago

    It was done 1.5 months ago, so not that fresh. Yeah we can not think of what it would be, the cleaners say they only use water and vinegar. But it definitely looks like a cleaning product of some sort, the ring and then some drips that probably came off the spray part.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Can be a vinegar mix cleaning solution or lemon scented cleaner causing the problem.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks G&S, I bet it was a vinegar / water mix that they left there for too long and it was wet bottle

  • 3 years ago

    Interesting b/c they clean the floors with a water /vinegar mix

  • 3 years ago

    I suppose it's possible it's the vinegar and water. Vinegar and water is no longer recommended for cleaning wood flooring. It's acidic and can supposedly break down the finish. Use a specific wood floor cleaner. I recommend Woodwise, which can be bought on Amazon in concentrate and diluted in a spray bottle. After 1.5months the finish is completely cured. I asked because odd things could happen if uncured finish is subjected to chemical prematurely.

    Good luck with the repair.