Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marydaly4

help with master addition

Med Greg
10 months ago

Adding master bedroom, bathroom, closet and small office. Here were the suggested drawings.

Thoughts and advice on contractors suggestion?

(The garage is set back in yard and behind that is the pergola in case anyone was curious what those two squares were. )

Comments (19)

• bpath
    10 months ago

Why is the office only accessible from the bedroom? That kind of limits it.

• Med Greg
    Original Author
    10 months ago

It’s just for me working from home. No outsiders visit me.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

Too small to read.

How will the roof be handled?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

It's too small to really see...and it doesn't look great.

Not to mention there is no reason I can see to cram a sofa in the bedroom.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

IMO contractors are not interior designers ever and an addition needs lots of thought to make it look like it has always been there so often an architect is also needed. The contractor builds what they are told . If you want help we need to be able to enlarge the drwing to see the measurements for sure . So do that and then wait for critique some of which you will not like but all of it useful if you really want help.

• auntthelma
    10 months ago

i think it needs work. The bathroom and closet are small and the office is big. I wonder if you move the office to the house side, then the bathroom/closet, then the bedroom, so the bedroom gets the most privacy and the best windows.

• marmiegard_z7b
    10 months ago

Also where is the kitchen currently, and what does the mass of this addition do to the natural light in existing rooms?

• la_la Girl
    10 months ago

The current configuratiown allows for lots of windows on the addition, which is nice - and your office could have a lovely view of the backyard. A few thoughts -

not sure of the measurments but in the bedroom i would want to make sure there was room for dressers, night stands etc -

the bath seems a little tight - i might revisit that

when i worked at home for a few years, my office had access to a patio so i could open the door and/or pop outside when the weather was nice - that could be a nice option for you

• bpath
    10 months ago

How will you arrange furniture in the family room, now that it needs to provide a passageway to the addition?

• 3onthetree
    10 months ago

Some comments:

- The roof doesn't work. Don't even think the existing is shown correctly.

- The circulation to the wing has made the Family Room smaller.

- The Office is not utilized for it's space, is not in a circulation path, it's just tacked on. If you just need a "spot," put a desk in the corner of your bedroom.

- The wing placement makes circulation to the backyard living a "back alley" (the garage location looks 1/2 unusable as is).

• cpartist
    10 months ago

What is the age of the original house and can you label the original rooms?

And as mentioned, contractors are NOT designers.

• bpath
    10 months ago

Here are two more thoughts:

Build up, a half or full story on the existing house.

or

Put the bedroom suite where the front living room is now. Add on to the existing living space at the rear, additional living space that has good access to the yard, and you can still tuck an office in there.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 months ago

I actually disagree with most of the criticisms here. If you look at the existing plan, only two windows will be affected. The roof isn't shown on the proposed plan, but it would seem a simple hip roof would match the existing and tie in pretty easily to the main house. Normally I would say put the bedroom at the far end to maximize privacy, but in this case I think having the office at the end, where you presumably spend more daylight hours than in the bedroom, makes sense. I can't really read the dimensions, but the bath and closet look small. Perhaps you can steal a foot or two from the bedroom without increasing the overall build in order to have a more functional bath. I'd probaby put the bed on the top wall for more privacy and opposite french doors to the yard. This would also provide a more direct circulation path to the office. And make sure the office has windows on all three walls!

• Med Greg
    Original Author
    10 months ago

marmiegard - no real impact to natural light in existing room bc most comes through the big sliders in family room which is staying intact.

Bpath- no need to rearrange furniture. There is a window on the exterior wall that will now become the passageway to addition. Do you know price difference to consider building up vs extending out?

I forget who asked but house is from 1939.

Attached are labeled drawings and better read on measurements. Sorry about that. Thank you everyone for your help!

• auntthelma
    10 months ago

I see that you are adding next to a bedroom. Nowit makes more sense that you put the bathroom where it is.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    10 months ago

Building up can sometimes be cheaper than out since you save the cost of a foundation, but in your case there may be major problems cutting into the main roof and maintaining slope and drainage. Plus there's the issue of where to put the stair. I think going out to the back is a better solution for your needs.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 months ago

I think a second floor addition is worth investigating.

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Agree with Mark.

I'm also guessing that the house originally had no family room and where the family room is now was a smaller kitchen and that the house was expanded at some point. Back in 1939, they wouldn't have a dining room with no natural light.

• artemis78
    10 months ago

Up vs. out will also depend on your location. We're in California, for instance, in an area where houses like this are pretty ubiquitous. It can be challenging to build up because you need a much more robust foundation in earthquake country. We had it costed when we had to replace part of our foundation a few years ago--actually asked about building out, up, and digging down since our basement is daylit and has 6' ceilings. Up and down were prohibitively expensive. Out was more than we wanted to spend, but at least feasible. We ended up just working within the existing footprint, and maybe someday will build an ADU instead. One challenge we had with a layout similar to yours is that we could not figure out a good place to put a master suite where you wouldn't have to walk through either the kitchen or a bedroom to access it unless we rendered some of the public rooms less usable, and we didn't want to do that.

We ended up just adding a bathroom where your planned new bathroom is, with access off the bedroom. Not ideal since we really wanted a third bedroom, but it wasn't worth breaking the flow of the house to do it. We do know people with basically the same layout who went up and used that middle hallway for the stairs, tucking a closet underneath. That works better for the layout (IMO) if you can swing the foundation cost, but where we live it would have been a lot more cost effective to buy a new house.

And agreed with @cpartist that this is not the original layout given the age of the house. If it's similar to the houses like this in CA, it may have looked much like ours: living, foyer, dining, kitchen on one wall, bedroom-bath-bedroom on the other, with a hallway in between. Kitchen would have been walled off from the public rooms. Layouts probably varied in other parts of the country, but you could look at nearby homes to see. You might think about how you use those rooms now and if there are ways to reconfigure that space, too.