Software
Houzz Logo Print
heather_thieke

wall color that won't pull pink undertones from cabinet color

3 years ago

I want to go with Kraftmaid's Cottage color cabinet color. It has pink undertones. I want a light white or graige that won't pull the pink in cabs. I've got a lot of light coming in from north and south room. Want a pretty wall color that won't pull blues and pinks. The attached image is cottage cabs with BM's Balboa Mist. Suggestions on wall colors that will work best? Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)

  • 3 years ago

    I am unclear, are you trying to make sure the pink doesnt show, or are you wanting pink cabinets.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Your considering Balboa Mist is right on. It will work with north/south light and will tone down the pink undertone you see in the cabinets because there is just enough purple in the mix to neutralize pink.



    Either of these colors will work with natural light and the cabinets, too.







    The right paint color is crucial, so get Samplize and put on wall next to cabinets. See how each looks during the day time and then at night with lights on.

  • 3 years ago

    Make sure that pink does not show

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Love Kylie M Interiors' blog. She's a hoot. Her recommendation for neutralizing pinks is to choose art with some pink tones. I think I get it! When art has pink warm tones, it confirms that your Cottage White undertone is insignificant.







  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    @Lomo, address dilemma: "I want to go with Kraftmaid's Cottage color cabinet color. Suggestions on wall colors that will work best?

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    This dilemma does not yet exist, because the cabinet color has not yet been finalized. Pivoting to a color that does not contain the undesirable pink tones is the easiest way to solve the problem.


    What seems to be attractive enough to you about a color that you are terming ”pink”? What is drawing you to that if you are trying to already downplay it? I do not see any pink in it. It is a light neutral khaki tan. It will not work well with grays. Which is fine, since those are not popular anymore.




  • 3 years ago

    @yonderwaydesigns 

    I prefer cottage above all. I have canvas as my 2nd and warm white as my 3rd. I've seen the color of cottage and that is my inspiration. Why I am hesitant is I know that it pulls pink because pink is its undertone. I do not want to look at installed cabs and see pink. So I know that I need a wall color that won't pull it. I'm looking for timeless vs trendy. So just seeking help in finding a white out there that I can use to help not draw the pink.

  • 3 years ago

    Did you bring a sample door home to view in your setting to see if it will pull pink. That's the only way you'll know for sure, and even then it might be a cr*pshoot because the sample may be old (or oldish), and colors can change over time, especially if exposed to UV light. So, if you can see pink undertones when you compare to other sample door colors, then....


    "Pivoting to a color that does not contain the undesirable pink tones is the easiest way to solve the problem."


    ^^ This.

  • 3 years ago

    So, i just looked up the cabinets and they are a warm white; looks like they’d fall in the yellow hue family. If you see pink, it would just mean that they are closer to the yellow/red side of the color wheel than the yellow/green. That being said, I would lean into that because if you go too green it can make the pink show up rather than play nicely and blend in. Can I see countertops, floors etc?

  • 3 years ago

    What do you mean "pull pink" - as others have said if cabs lean pink then you would actually want a certain subtle amount of red i.e. "pinkness" in your white. If your white leans into the yellow-greens then that contrast will bring out the "pinkness" in the cabinets (green and red are opposite on the color wheel) .... which is what you are wanting to avoid.


    BTW, just an observation - nothing wrong with pink or colors leaning pink, these can esp. look harmonious with wood tones. Sometimes people seem to be reacting more against the name of the color (pink) and its associations than what the color itself actually looks like. Bring a door to a professional paint shop and choose some samples to bring home - someone there can help you pin down some good options.


  • 3 years ago

    Heather, just curious if you went with the color cottage for your cabinets. That’s the color I’ve been leaning towards as well, but also worry about the pink undertone. Just wondering if you’ve installed you cabinets and if you’re liking the color.

  • 3 years ago

    @anniekrissman do it! I love them!!! Lowers are installed. No paint on walls but I know I am going to still love them!

  • 3 years ago

    @anniekrissman do it! I love them!!! Lowers are installed. No paint on walls but I know I am going to still love them!

  • 3 years ago

    Wow! Your kitchen is going to be amazing and the color looks so great! Thanks so much for the pictures and putting my mind at ease. I’m going to do it!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    So what wall paint color are you doing? Have you come to accept the "pinkness"? I myself have evolved towards loving whites which lean into the pinks, because the yellow whites were all somehow giving me this undesirable dingy greenish-gray cast.... for reasons Im not entirely sure of. Now, occasionally I might see some faint traces of pinkness in the shadows, but mostly my walls read as a nice, warm white.

  • 2 years ago

    Hello, wondering what paint color you chose for your walls?

  • 2 years ago

    Love how it turned out. Still need to install backsplash. Wall color is pearly white by SW.

  • 2 years ago

    Looks beautiful!

  • 2 years ago

    Looks so beautiful. What is your countertop? I have always wanted a white kitchen and then now I am in love with the Cottage color. It looks so nice with the white counter.