Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vkavaras

Mirror in family room

Valerie K
9 months ago

Hello! Does this mirror look ok in our family room? I love the mirror itself, I’m just a little concerned that the step up causes the mirror to look too short next to the walk way/door trim. The mirror is 6 feet tall. We have 8 foot ceilings throughout our house but the family room (which is the room shown/where the mirror is) is a bit higher due to the step down.

Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Comments (30)

• calidesign
    9 months ago

It looks like a great location for the mirror, but it should be hung on the wall so the top of the mirror is just slightly lower than the door frame.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Hmmm.. I was going for the “leaning mirror look” tho and don’t live ur hung flat against the wall. Does it look that bad bc the door frame is so much higher?

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

don’t love** it hung flat

• P Banos
    9 months ago

It looks low compared to the high doorframe. Plus the curved top makes it look shorter than would a rectangle. Maybe in your bedroom? If you do keep it leaning, anchor the top to the wall so there's no danger of it being knocked over.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

If the mirror was another door talk, closer to 7 feet, would that make that big a difference? I could always put this one in my room and get another. But it was pretty expensive, I’d hate to do that :(
    Was final sale too.

• P Banos
    9 months ago

Well you could try to find an easel for it. But then it will likely block the walkway and may need a more out of the way location.

Make sure easel is strong enough for the weight, and anchor the easel so it can't get tipped over.

Or, hang it. Solves the problem. And you won't have to clean dust bunnies from behind it.

• shirlpp
    9 months ago

I would not lean that mirror with a toddler running around.

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Does the family room have children in it? Family members or frequent visitors?

It's not safe, even if firmly attached to the wall. Kids play rough. Between the chance they could crash into that mirror with their bodies it is so low, there is the chance they could break it throwing things and try to pick up all the glass themselves.

Sell it.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

The mirror is completely safe and attached to the wall.

• mytwo cents
    9 months ago

Attached to the wall isn't safe enough around kids given how low that mirror is. You really should remove it. It's not worth it.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I appreciate the concern. But how is it any different than the many floor-to-ceiling windows we have throughout the house?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I like the mirror but I think it may be just a tad too short?

as a comparison, I have a leaning mirror on my wall w/8ft ceilings

now look at yours after I lengthened it

See the diff?

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

It is quadrupole secured with hooks. My question was not about safety, but the visual of the mirror. It really is not different than windows or other floor length leaning mirrors or glasses cabinets we have in other rooms of the house.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    9 months ago

what you could do is secure it to the wall by hanging it a bit higher. then put some other accessories in that corner

(these are both floor mirrors, but you get the idea. if you hang it 6-12 inches off the ground, you could still do any of these )

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Beth, I appreciate you sending me tips that I was looking for. I really don’t like how it looks flat to the wall and was really going for a leaning mirror. Do you think if I lean it more in the corner that distance would help take the intensify of the trim being so much higher?
    Yes I do see the difference and how mirror height helps.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Or perhaps if I put a skinny tree or something inbetween the trim and the mirror it will lessen the height difference??

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Like this??

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    9 months ago

try moving the tree n the corner

or something liek this look

anything that takes the eye up a bit.

I did this one for you w/an elongated mirror.

what if you pushed it back a little further against the wall. would that get you a few inches?

or, I know you don't like the flat look, but if you raised it 6" from the floor, did a corner tree, maybe a basket w/a throw at the base, I think it owuld look good

• seagreen3
    9 months ago

I like the possibility of a tall, skinny tree to add height to the arrangement (then remove the little table). A mirror of that size may not be built for hanging (it may say so on the back), and at 6ft, if you love the mirror itself, I think it’s okay there as is.

• tozmo1
    9 months ago

Your instinct is correct. It's too low. Lean it on something. Here;s a really rough take:

• tozmo1
    9 months ago

Or, something above it. These are decorative plates. Scale is wrong but you get the idea.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Beth- I love the idea and look of the tree in the corner. It sort of makes the mirror + tree it’s own unit and takes you’re eye away from the taller trim. Do you agree?? You are awesome for mocking that up for me. Thank you!!!
    Tozmo, I appreciate the mock up and that idea of a bench, I know it’s personal opinion but I feel that complicates it and mucks it up a bit and I was trying to achieve a more simple look. Thanks for the idea!!

• Kendrah
    9 months ago

It is a great mirror, will look good there, and I don't think you have to get fussy with adding anything else to that wall. Center it vertically between the baseboard and the top of the door frame.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Kendrah, you’re suggesting hanging it flat on the wall? If so, that’s just not something I want to do as I don’t like how that looks in the living room and want something to lean..

• tracefloyd
    9 months ago

I guess I'm the odd man out but why is a mirror needed there? In the examples posted, the mirrors are perpendicular to a window to reflect into the room. This mirror does not seem to reflect anything of interest.

• Olychick
    9 months ago

I agree that it's not an ideal place and looks too short there. It's a beautiful mirror, tho.

People's concern about safety is that mirror glass is much less safe than window or door glass, which must be tempered if below a certain level. Mirror glass breaks into deadly shards.

If you are determined to leave it there, maybe something like this would raise it enough?

Mirror stand

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 months ago

If you must keep it, and I say that because IMO it doesn't really do anything for the room, hang the mirror on the wall. Floor mirrors have seen their best days and they're in the rearview mirror.

When you see this arched mirror in hundreds of interiors, it rather loses its special quality. It just becomes a quantity.

• acm
    9 months ago

I'd be very self-conscious watching myself hurrying from kitchen to front door and so forth, but that doesn't seem to dissuade anybody. I like Beverly's mock-up, or maybe a nice tall bureau there that could store some serving stuff or games.

• tracefloyd
    9 months ago

Exactly! Finally some who agree with me.

• decorpatti
    9 months ago

I love the mirror, but it looks like it is waiting to be hung on the wall...not a good look. I know you like the leaning-mirror aesthetic, but this mirror does not seem to be the right style or location for that. The picture that Beverly posted with the plant and the artwork looks so much more intentional and attractive, to me, which should carry little weight with your desires, of course.