Software
Houzz Logo Print
chandraclewley

Dining Room Table Dilemma

3 years ago

I was so excited to get this “new to me”
Thomasville Bogart Collection table, because it had the burl wood look I was planning on for my dining room.

But…it arrived and is much larger than I expected. The length is great but it’s wider than I expected. I think I can work with it as a redo my dining room but my dilemma is the chairs.

They are huge and not what I want….

Can anyone suggest what chairs might work for this table??

White? Beige? Metal? Style?

I’m going for an art deco revival look. Think modern eighties with some Kelly Wearstler thrown in.

Comments (32)

  • 3 years ago



  • 3 years ago

    The current chairs look fine, but consider a different rug in a more complimentary color for the space and then reupholster seats to accent better. When budget allows rework the buffet and wall hangings.

  • 3 years ago

    AAAAAGGGGGG Did ya READ her post Jack!!! SIGH. I love a big chair. It's too bad they take up too much room in your space. Nothing more lux to sit in at dinner than a big comfy chair at the table. Hope you get some helpful suggestions.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Leaf removal when not needed will do wonders and I also agree chairs work well. If you look into the cost of good chairs, I think you may decide to keep!

    On another note, suggest a narrower buffet and less items in general, so room feels less busy/crowded. Look for something that suits table, but also consider living room vs going too far in the styles you referenced. Also work with your rug.




  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    fwiw, I don't like the chairs with the table either. If they were my chairs, and I had a mansion with servants, I'd keep them in the garage and only have them carried outdoors for formal garden eating at an iron table with a table cloth.

  • 3 years ago

    was wondering too if something like these work in some decor directions




  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    IMO the chairs work with the table tha buffet no the decor on the buffet no and the art to scattered and huing too high I love the table is it perfect for your plan nd so are the chairs. I do not like mirrors in DRs so I would replace the mirror with a great piece of art , get a fabulos art deco chandelier and remove the other art from those other walls and hang them somewhere else . A tall art deco style lamp on a buffet that works with thetable or just a really great console table in a more art deco style One orchid plant on the console and the lamp. Then a large flower arrangement when entertining . I havre to faves for style MCM and Ary deco . I would not put MCM chairs with thta table ever.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I’m right there with you on contemporary ’80s love.

    In the late ‘80s, I had Cesca chairs with my first dining table in my first apt and think they’d look great in your room.





    With a heavier style table:








    I will forever kick myself for selling those chairs.

  • 3 years ago

    I also think the chairs are in proportion to the table! Smaller chairs might look flimsy. You could paint or reupholster for them to ’feel’ lighter..?

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Cesca chairs with a transitional burl wood table?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The chairs work well with the table and the back design echos the table top design. But I can understand wanting new chairs to move the room towards your desired art deco revival style. Consider making the suggested changes (removing table leaf, rug, large art over server) first and then see if you like the chairs better as-is or with a new seat color or perhaps new frame color.

    Do you have a light fixture over the table? If yes, please post a picture. The right fixture (at the right height over the table) will go a long way towards achieving your desired style. Maybe paint or wallpaper on the server wall too.

  • 3 years ago

    Design Fan, good question — can we see the light fixture, OP?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    So I don't know what some north Americans would do if their ancestiors had never emigrated from countries where people don't throw out the 150 year old table they inherited with the mismatched and insufficient number of chairs, and whatever new that is going to be bought to fill in is going to have to be carried up 100 stairs and a narrow hallway so it is coming from IKEA and it is going to be made out wicker or plywood or plastic or anything else lightweight --- and yet

    the results are often incredibly beautiful when these extraordinary antiques are mixed in with later date additions from inlaws and IKEA.

    When I've been furnishing my houses it's been mildly interesting to hear decorators say they don't like blinds, or they don't like mixed metals, or they would never do this or that. Some of them also told me what they ate for lunch. But some of them seemed to not recognize the limits of their experience and imagination, or empathy, and that they weren't being invited to live with me for the rest of their lives.

    I'd give these chairs to charity and find something else not so middlebrow furniture store set looking or heavy to move around when I needed to clean. I have a massive antique swiss table for my dining table -- it actually has a palazzo hallway bench for seating one side -- and it's two end leaves are always open -- so you know, it makes sense for some people and some spaces not to have the extension leaf in the hall closet but be living with a big long table.

  • 3 years ago







  • 3 years ago

    I agree so much with you, mytwo cents, and I love your photo examples.

    I have a heavy pine table set that used to be my dad’s — he’d had it all custom made by an Amish business decades ago. The wood chairs are very heavy, so I put four in storage and kept two on the ends with side chairs similar to those in your last photo. I love the contrast in styles, and how light they are to move around.

    Most on these boards would clutch their pearls at my decor. :D

  • 3 years ago

    I agree that a mix would look fresh. Picture those chairs with a sleek, white dining table! To work with the table, I love the chairs that jilly suggested. Here are some other options.

  • 3 years ago

    I’ll post some more photos asap. I’ve moved the credenza so it looks different.
    I might be keeping the shabby chic mirror to mix it up and I do have a light fixture that I like but it’s definitely something I would consider changing.
    The rug is going! It’s on its way out for something more neutral.

    Leaves are out cause we like a big statement table but one could come out. Table is 10’feet as is and will be 20” shorter minus one leaf.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Chairs are great (even though the set is short an upholstered one). Sell them on ebay.

    At the same time start searching for Art Deco style dining chairs (your table is that style).

    Remover everything else in the space...everything...and build the design around the table you love. (Remove the leaves).



    Leave the floor bare. Add a chandelier. No shabby chic with the burled wood.

    This is a light from Wayfair. You could also search the internet for the real deal. Remember, size should be 1/2 the size of the table.



  • 3 years ago

    More photos

  • 3 years ago

    Also:
    I am not committed to anything you see here. Art can move. Mirror can move. Light can go. Rug can go. Chairs must go.
    Tiffany lamp is there for the time being cause there is nowhere else to put it but it can go. All can go.

    Here are a few new pieces I’ve added to the attached living room to get the vibe:

    Vintage Weiman Sofa 80’s
    Vintage wood coffee table 80’s
    Vintage Concrete Top Credenza

    Just to get an idea of the connected room.

    House is smaller (1500 sq ft) so this area is all connected and relatively open but not like a barn open…

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Chandra, I have her by my bathroom sink. :)


    ETA: Love that Saltillo tile!

  • 3 years ago

    Jilly,
    Yay! I’m a sucker for paintings of people reading!

  • 3 years ago

    Ghost chairs could be another possibility. Beautiful with your crystal ceiling light, and could work with your current rug, too.









  • 3 years ago

    take out at least one leaf.. put the chairs with the upholstered backs at the ends.


    chairs look too big because its all jumpbled


  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I think it's a possibility that your oval mirror over the fireplace would go well with the new table.

    I also think this would look lovely within sight of your table. It's 20x15 unframed



    https://www.chairish.com/product/3603815/tomikichiro-tokuriki-untitled-horsewoman


    and this is fun


    https://www.chairish.com/product/6164485/vintage-postmodern-sculpted-gold-sideboard

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    My home definitrly leans to traditional, but get past that and consider this recent dining room switch up. Remove leaves, hunt for two comfy, modern-designed chairs for each side. Now, this works for us because we eat in our kitchen . The dining room isn’t used regularly, but I pass through it daily and enjoy this view more.Perhaps there are corners where you could place two of the chairs. Add pillows or toss a shawl over the backs of those two and you might dislike them less. That would give you handy seating for four. Store the rest as you research more and hunt for the chairs

    you’d love…with that table, which is lovely.

    SPRING-SUMMER




    FALL-WINTER (decided by forum members on Conversation side 👍)


  • 3 years ago

    I took all of the advice to heart and settled on these chairs and ditched one of the leaves. Now I need:
    A New Rug
    A New Wall: either Art or better yet, a mid size cabinet/hutch since I have no storage in there, but zero clue which kind to target…
    A New Light

    I want to tone it down a bit..avoiding more orange or white and am looking for something earthy with a curvy, postmodern vibe mushed with art deco revival.

  • 3 years ago

    Mytwo cents: I really loved your examples of how to mix something more modern with something older. Thank you so much!

    These chairs might not be exactly per the examples, but they were available and simple enough so I went for it. Plus they are lightweight which I really needed…the other chairs were soooo heavy I could barely lift them.

    Everything else in the room can go…I’ll start building around what I have.

  • 3 years ago




    this rug in either black or gold comes from CB2






  • 3 years ago

    i would remove that mirror, as it doesnt go with the rest of your beautiful room.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    You don't have much space for a cabinet or sideboard, especially one that has doors. Plus most cabinets are not high enough -- it will just disappeaer behind the chairs. Suggest you consider one or two etageres. Ones with "pagada" tops might be very nice. But I also saw these vintage bentwood etageres that might look really nice, espcially since the dining room is in view of the brick fireplace in the other room. The bentwood might be better than metal and more art deco revival (not sure what that means! ) And you can position these to keep them clear of the chairs.





    https://www.chairish.com/product/1862996/vintage-chippendale-style-5-tier-bentwood-rattan-etageres-a-pair

    this is what I meant by a pagoda top etagere



    If I decided on etageres, I'd pick a different rug than the one I suggested earlier.