Software
Houzz Logo Print
judygreeson

Do barn doors go with modern look shaker cabinets in white?

3 years ago




Remodeling my kitchen fron old Nutmeg stained solid oak Cathedral cabinets to Dove white shaker style.

what pantry doors would look in style with Shaker; a light wood barn door or the white doors with frosted glass?

Or just paint solid 6 panel doors white same as walls to blend in?

Comments (14)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    No barn doors, unless you actually live in a barn! If you don't have room for swinging doors, then do some pocket doors. Just make sure to allow enough depth for a pocket door inside the wall.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    None of that is modern looking. At all.

  • 3 years ago

    I would do doors that opened out and forget about the barn doors. If no room to open out, then bi fold doors would work well too.

  • 3 years ago

    The fad of barn doors in kitchens (and worse, bathrooms) was over 15 years ago. For good reason - they are noisy, take up an entire wall, often cover electrical wall outlets (against Code), and are an affectation in homes that don't have a barn anywhere nearby.

    I think you saying you want ”modern” is causing a communication problem. I don’t think you mean ”modern”. Your Shaker doors with multiple bevels are very nice looking, but not modern. They are more on the traditional side. The suggestions that @cat_ky made above are good.

    judygreeson thanked RoyHobbs
  • 3 years ago

    I appreciate your response, thanks

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Agree with everyone--barn doors only belong in barns. And your cabinet doors are not modern and they're really not shaker. Shaker doors do not have that edging on the outside, nor do they have the molding on the inside of the stiles. They are plain and straight-edged, like these:


    Brookings Unassembled Shaker Sink Base Kitchen Cabinet 36", White · More Info


  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    All your getting here is ideology against barn doors from less than half a dozen people. In ideology it doesn't matter what your cabinets are. They don't want to have barn doors.

    Funny thing is, the last picture of barn doors that you shows actually do have a Shaker style.

    Do you want glass on your pantry doors?



    Do you need them to slide sideways rather swing out or in or fold? Could you do pocket doors?



    This photo shows cabinets like yours with natural wood doors. The window at the top isn't necessary and you could paint these doors white and it would look nice. It wouldn't matter if you hung them like barn doors if you need to or like the look.



    You can of course also have solid doors, or put curtains inside doors like these if you don't want to have your pantry on view. You can also get etched or leaded glass or frosted glass. The paneling on these doors goes with your cabinetry and you can paint these doors.



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I would suggest wood door(s) for the pantry. You mention that you were considering light wood as one option, and I think that could be very nice - or a darker/deeper toned wood could also work well. I think wood door(s) would work with your classic style, and also could help to avoid a white overload.

    I agree that barn doors that are unaffiliated with barns are pretty much passe at this point. With your cabs i love the idea of French doors. Tres chic. :)







  • 2 years ago

    We did a sliding door for our recent kitchen renovation in the pantry and really like it!

  • 2 years ago

    I’m a ”barn door” fan in certain applications. I like both your examples. And I like your cabinets. But, nope nope, they aren’t shaker and do not quite go with your proposed pantry doors, IMHO. Remember, most any interior door slab can be hung on slider hardware. They needn’t come as a set. Good luck with your project!

  • 2 years ago

    I used “barn” doors with the track hidden by a header in my sunroom people always assume they are original pocket doors. I hung 1920 doors that were identical to the rest of the house’s doors. Hinged french doors limited the small space and being an exterior wall meant adding real pocket doors would mean a loss of six inches in an all ready tight spot. Sliding track doors are a great solution in some circumstances when form follows function.

  • 2 years ago

    " If "barn doors" were called what they actually are, which is slider doors, would there be such hatred for them on these boards? "


    In my opinion yes, they do not seal at all, and take up valuable wall space. I despise pocket doors and "barn" sliders even more.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Sorry those are not modern shaker doors and IMO barn doors are sometimes the only answer but I would not do a modern barndoor with those cabinets. In fact IMO pantry doors shoulld be the same style as the kitchen cabinets since really the pantry is just a big cabinet.