Software
Houzz Logo Print
dvd94

Help needed, please: drawer slides

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I made a big goof a few years back and I hope that the furniture industry has come up with a solution by now. In my vacation home (because I once had a plumbing leak that caused a lot of damage) I had shut off valves put on all my fixtures so when I left for an extended period of time I could shut off all the fixtures and drain the lines. But, like a dummy, when I was renovating the bathroom I fell in love with a cabinet that had drawers - instead of doors. So now, when I come to the house I have to remove the drawers to get access to the water shut off valve under the bathroom sink - then put the drawer back in for use; repeat when leaving. Not a big deal (it has the kind of slides that are positioned on the sides of the drawer and you pinch in a little tab to release the glide; putting it back in place is a bit more tricky but it can be done). My question to you experts out there: have they come up with a slide that is easier to remove and re-install the drawers that is much easier than what I have? It is a quality slide, for sure - just a pain, especially to put the drawer back in place - you have to wiggle it in such a way to get the slot in just the right place...blah, blah. :-) Of course, the real solution is to buy a different cabinet - but that would be pricey, of course. Any other thoughts before I go cabinet shopping?

Comments (8)

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks. Figured someone would wonder about that. If you experienced what we did - you'd know why there is double, triple protection. First, this is a vacation home - sometimes no is there for weeks, or longer. There was a shut off valve at the main which we thought was adequate. We would shut off the main and drain the lines every time we left. Even though it was a quality shut off ball valve, I guess things don't last forever. The water must have found its way past it and then found its way into a toilet. I could go into all the technical details - but suffice to say it started leaking and water damaged pretty much the whole house over the course of two weeks. Now we have two shut off valves on the main and a shut off valve on every line that could exit water - no matter how remote the possibility - as well as draining all the lines. If you experienced what we went through, you would understand.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Drawer glides are NOT your problem. If you are that concerned about flooding, turn it off at the street, open the low point, and use compressed air to blow all the lines out. A cheap air compressor is a very useful tool for far more than just that. And use a full stop gate valve, not a ball valve.

  • 2 years ago

    I just hope someone will just answer the question and not worry about some perceived problem that I may have. I am not concerned about flooding now - that problem is behind me. I just don't want to keep pulling the drawers out every time I need to turn on the water. If there are no better drawer guides available - please just say as such and I'll thank you for your input.

  • 2 years ago

    And you expect more answers after the way you have twice replied? LOL

  • 2 years ago

    @ stax: what prompted that? Should I thank everyone for telling me about how to control flooding when that isn't my question? I only mentioned the flooding as background information as to why I have that question. DeWayne says flooding is my issue - it is not - so when everyone jumps on his bandwagon, that makes me with an issue? See my subject: is it flooding or drawer slides?

  • 2 years ago

    Each brand of slide has their own design for the latch. There are some that have only a friction latch, so you don't have to hold a release lever for the latch, just pull hard on the drawer. I have one like that and the drawer falls out on my foot if I pull it too hard. Is that what you are looking for?

  • 2 years ago

    I'd definitely consider it - thank you! Can you link me to some similar, ramona? Although the removal of my drawers isn't terrible - you press two little things (somewhere - you have to press a lot of areas to find that sweet spot - ugh! - no latches) - as they are not obvious from where I am able to see (with a hand on each side, and me being short, I am not able to actually see what needs to be pressed. Once I've removed it - ok - then comes the equally challenging step: finding that perfect spot where they line up into the rails. Again, because of my stature, everything is strictly by touch. And in order for them to slide into the exact spot on each rail, each rail must be fully extended. So, I pull the two rails out fully - then hope they don't slide back in when I'm wiggling the drawer pieces into the rails. This is rarely successful - and I end up putting the drawer on the floor numerous times to extend the rails out fully again! It's driving me batty, as you can imagine. Again, I am sure for most people this isn't an issue - but due to my size (or lack thereof) and everything is done strickly by touch, it can be challenging. Thanks for listening to my rant. :-) :-)