Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129303577

Help! Will these lights work with our entrance?

Joan Rolins
6 months ago

New home problems. I absolutely love the look of these cargo ship lights https://www.docklights.com/cargo-smooth-hanging-ships-light/ but I don't know if it's well suited for our walkway (below). We're going for a nautical look, and thinking of hanging one between the rafter thingies between the first and second column btw.

Comments (7)

• wdccruise
    6 months ago

No, outdoor lighting should comply with Dark Sky Five Principles for Responsible Outdoor Lighting which the two two wall lights pictured do not because they shine outward into areas (wall, yard, etc.) that do not need to be illuminated. IMO that cargo ship light is incompatible with the relatively modern design of the house, though it does shine downward which fulfills a Dark Sky principle. I'd install step lights (example) in the wall.

-- amateur

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Well I agree somwhat to the lightis for dark sky but IMO more imporatant is the fact that we need lighting at night to make sure we or our guests don't fall. I do not think the light you mention works with the house style that I see. I for sure do not understand the nautical theme so maybe post some pics of your inspiration since you have nothing in your idea books.

• A
    6 months ago

Those light fixtures do not include wiring and are unlikely to be UL Listed. Just something to think about, especially in a wet location. I, personally, would not want to install unlisted electrical materials anywhere in or on my house. And I think licensed electricians are required to only install listed equipment. Anyway, that’s what my electrician told me when he was talking about all those homemade light fixtures that you see on HGTV and such.

I’m also not a fan of these particular lights for your home, which is beautiful by the way. I don’t think those lights would add anything, and may actually take away from the aesthetic.

• decorpatti
    6 months ago

Yikes! They are quite expensive, and I don't think they would add value, charm, or cohesion to your home, even at half the price. Of course, we love what we love, and if you DO love them, and they are able to be installed, maybe somewhere in the backyard would be more appropriate. I just don't think they would look good hanging in your walkway. I have purchased many things over the years that don't always 'fit' into a scheme perfectly, but they give me joy every time I look at them (my Maitland Smith crane lamp is just one example).

• Kendrah
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Wow, I see why you are in love with these lights. Incredible. I would make a to-size 3-D mock up of them using cardboard or a brown bag. Hang the mock ups and take a picture to post. I think they might feel too big and weighted for the space you are intending.

I also wonder if they will cast enough light to be able to see well at night so you don't fall. They look like they are intended to be hung much higher and doing so would cast a wide circle of light. I wonder if they are hung at the height you intend if the would have more of a downlight effect with a narrow throw.

If this is not the right light perhaps you can find a similar type of light that is the right scale for your home. That website is really cool and looks like it has tons of lights that could work.

I would not be concerned about them not being UL listed. I have taken tons of vintage fixtures, that are totally gutted, to be newly wired by lighting repair people, and have had licensed electricians install them. Go to good people, who are not fly by night, and who make a living doing this kind of wiring. The site for purchase seems to have a wiring service. Ask them about it.

Lastly, if I were a thief, I'd like to lift them in a heartbeat. Hope you live in a safe neighborhood.

• HU-227031627
    6 months ago

Your other light fixtures are black. My suggestion is to pick out a silver nautical fixture instead of the copper one. Silver would look less heavy