Software
Houzz Logo Print
ruffian829

Paint color to pair with orange tint wood?

2 years ago

Hi all- we just bought a new house and it had a lot(!!) of orange toned wood. The living room is particularly dark, I’m hoping to brighten it up and tone down the orange in the wood. My instinct was to just go with white -but which white? (why are there so many whites? I am not good at this at all). Would love any white or other color suggestions that I can easily get and won’t completely break the bank (SW, BM, Valsper and Bher are all easily accessible, to be honest I’m not quite sure which ones are worth the extra money or not).

I’m hoping to drywall between the beams on the ceiling and paint that white. Though I’m also contemplating just painting the wood white and leaving the beams as they are, but I’d really like to put in some small can lights so the drywall would work better for that.

Despite the photos, this is a very dark room, no overhead lights, etc. This photo is from the listing which they lighted up considerably (or maybe brought in some lighting for).

Comments (8)

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The listing photos are altered in photoshop and in most cases not representative of the real colors. I think you have a very special new home and you need help making the changes you want. I would hire an interior designer to help you with color. It could be spectacular... like magazine quality. Those sistered ceiling joists are perfect for hiding some lighting.

    If you can I would edit this post and deselect the 'living room' category and publish it instead in 'Design Dilemma'. OR just scrap this entire post and publish it there. You'll get much more help from that group.


    Danielle H thanked Paul F.
  • 2 years ago

    Blues, greens, and turquoises, go with your wood. I wouldnt be too quick to paint the ceiling either. Its actually a very nice looking ceiling. All the paint in the world will not brighten it up, even if you painted the entire room white. Paint wont make it look lighter, only lighting does that. Get an electrician in there and have some lighting wired in, before you paint or redo anything.

    Danielle H thanked cat_ky
  • 2 years ago

    I disagree with the rec for blues -- blue is only going to accentuate the orange tones, IMO it isn't right for this space, either. Greens would look really good, though. Perhaps dark warm grey (no light greys, blah). I agree with embracing the lodge feel -- it's what you've got so run with it. I think it's quite a handsome room, I'd love it in there! Also agree you need to add lighting if it's dark, I would add pot lights in *dark brown/dark bronze* -- DO NOT PUT WHITE POT LIGHTS IN THAT CEILING, you will totally sh*t up the beauty of it if you do that.


    What is that multi-colored cabinet? Is that a built-in? It looks totally out of place. I'd definitely remove that, or paint it to match the vibe of the room.

    Danielle H thanked porkchop_z5b_MI
  • Danielle H thanked wdccruise
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Do you have a picture of the space that's not from the real estate listing? Hopefully empty of the previous owner's things.

    I love light cream walls with oak trim but it's really hard to get a feel for your space from a photoshopped picture with all the owner's decor.



    Danielle H thanked deegw
  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I would not change the ceiling. IMO overhead lights contribute nothing to atmosphere; they aren't worth the cost, trouble or cutting holes in the ceiling.

    Instead, layer lighting with sconces, lamps, uplights -- everything on dimmer. Candice Olson does layered lighting masterfully altho the woman does like a pot light. Link: https://www.hgtv.com/shows/candice-tells-all/our-favorite-lighting-ideas-from-candice-olson-pictures

    Any color that contrasts with the orange tones of the wood will amplify the orange. That's how color works. To limit the visual impact of hue, you have to limit contrast.

    For example, a not overly bright off-white from the same yellow to yellow-red hue family range as the wood. Color range ideas:


    Danielle H thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 2 years ago

    Thank you all for the comments- I completely forgot I had posted this (it has been a very long few months!). With all this feedback and upon further consideration I think we will leave the ceiling, though we definitely need better/more lighting.


    I am all for embracing the rustic cabin feel, we quite like it and it is a true farmhouse for us, I just dont love this room and I need to make some changes.


    The drawers are built in of sorts, we removed the big cabinet at the end but the drawers are still there. I want to try painting them before we remove them, they are handy but definitely out of place as they are. Removing them messes with the floor unfortunately so that is something we’ll have to deal with eventually.


    I really do not have any good photos of this room, I’ll take some tomorrow though! And I’ll post in the design dilemma category because i have some other issues with this room that I need help with. We did actually hired a designer to help with the kitchen and bathroom remodel, and some layout options for this room, but her suggestions were underwhelming so we didnt get into paint colors (other than a quick suggestion of white) with how much we had already spent for her work, I’m not keen to go back to her for more help (we used her for our prior home and she was amazing. This time it was not).