Software
Houzz Logo Print
martachka1

please help with kitchen backsplash

2 years ago

Hello, we are in a bit of a predicament as the wrong stone was installed in our kitchen from the one that we had selected and agreed upon. That is an issue that we are trying to rectify, but since the stone has already been fabricated and installed we may be stuck with it. With that being said, I now need to find a backsplash option that will go with this stone if we are unable to change it. The wall color is Linen White by Benjamin Moore.

I was originally going to go with the Cloe tile by Bedrosian in color white but I’m not sure that it still goes with this stone as it seems a bit darker and definitely busier than the stone I was intending on. Please let me know if you have any recommendations for a backsplash that will go with this. I want to neutralize the look of the kitchen and not have it seem so busy.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (25)

  • 2 years ago

    Use the same stone on your backn splash as you have on your countertops

  • 2 years ago

    I feel like this stone is so busy as it is, if I use the same stone for backsplash it may look overwhelming. You don’t think?

  • 2 years ago

    I wouldn't spend the time or energy trying to find a backsplash for counters that were erroneously installed if whatever resolution you've requested is still pending.

    If that's your Cloe tile sample in pic three (hopefully you have more than one tile?), you could post a clearer pic of it with the tile placed against the wall like it would be oriented as a backsplash and have people weigh in if your lighting plan has been completed too.

  • 2 years ago

    Is the tile available in the color of the veining in the counter? But I agree with tlynn1960, don't keep the counter if you really don't like it and the vendor has acknowledged the mistake and will replace it. You don't want to not like the kitchen you just spent a lot of money remodeling (not to mention the time and disruption).

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    CEGI Odonata, Lestes. Not a cold gray. Really picks up the veining. Will look great when the undercabinet lighting is on.



  • 2 years ago

    @kandrewspa unfortunately the vendor is not willing to replace the stone even though he is not denying the error, so we need to make a decision of whether we are going to fight it or not… so in the meantime I’m trying to see if there is a way to make this look the way I would like it.

    I do have more cloe tiles that I will put against this stone today and post some photos.

    I wanted a quiet neutral looking kitchen.. so trying to see if I can make that work.

  • 2 years ago

    Pale gray or taupe glass would look beautiful.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    As shown, everything looks really good together; what was the original selection meant to be? Why do you think the Chloe white does not work?

  • 2 years ago

    The stone we selected was this.. so it’s a completely different look (at least in my opinion) from what we got. I’ll take some pictures of the stone with the cloe tile today and post to get some opinions. I was just going for a different look from what we got. Even though I know it’s not terrible- it’s just not what I was going for.

  • 2 years ago

    I think the stone that was put in, in error is quite nice. Looks great with the floor.
    Take your time finding a backsplash that works for you. No need to do it right away. Paint is your friend at the moment. It gives you time to make the right choice.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I actually like the stone that was installed. A soft gray fluted tile might be lovely with this.


    This might be a bit too dark, so you'd have to find a lighter version that picks up the color of the veining.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I don't understand. YOu ordered A but got B and the vendor/installer is saying "too bad"? no compensation at all? what does your paperwork say?

    what is the name of the countertop you got and the one you wanted?

    (the one you wanted looks similar to Calacatta Laza)

    the one installed doesn't look bad (is there a covering over it?) but it's hard to tell from your dark pictures what tile would work.

    this pic is blurry. turn the camera longways and get a clearer shot


    Actually, this one looks nice w/your flooring and hardware.

    I think Cloe tile would work.

    Or, try the Portmore/Kingston tile


    If you want a gray til, this taupe/dove colored gray is the shade you need



    get some lighting in there while you take some better pics and we can help you pick something.

  • 2 years ago

    The counter looks good with your cabinet color, so the safest/easiest solution is to find a simple ceramic tile in the same color as the cabinets, which will give you a simple monochromatic look.

  • 2 years ago

    Here are a few tile options with the current stone. Thoughts? From what I can tell the difference between cloe and Celine seems to be very small. It appears that the cloe has a bit more of a shine that plays off the light whereas Celine is more matte. Should I go with a creamer/darker tone? Different tile altogether? Any thoughts are appreciated.

    Option A (pictures 1)- cloe in square

    Option B (pictures 2,3)- cloe subway tile

    Option C (picture 4)- Celine tile

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I agree with Jenny. I think it's just as beautiful if not more so, but YOU have to love it. And if you decide to keep it, definitely argue for a deep discount. This happened to us (although it was just a tub) and reluctantly I accepted it because we were at the final stages of building and I was too tired to fight. Years later, I'm so glad I kept it because styles have changed and it's less dated. Happy ending.


    As for the backsplash: Beth's first photo is my favorite but that's me. If you're not in love with the countertop, the last thing I think I'd do is use the same material in the backsplash?

  • 2 years ago

    @ally Kat I agree. I love that first stone @beth H. Posted. I’m going to see if I can get a sample of it. Thank you for all the feedback from everyone! It’s very helpful (and reassuring).

  • 2 years ago

    When you say “stone”, do you mean real stone or quartz? (This might influence your decision whether to use it as backsplash). Gosh, that just seems so wrong…..hope you get what you actually wanted!

  • 2 years ago

    @coray I should have been more specific, it’s quartz.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Whether to fight or not is up to you. Make sure all of your paperwork is specific with the name of the top you were supposed to get. If you look under the counter there should be some sort of label or writing about what top it is and a lot number. If the paperwork and those numbers/name don't agree, then they need to replace. If you are willing to keep it, then ask for a hefty discount.

    Personally - I think this may be a fortunate mistake. That top looks really nice. I think it would go nice with the square tiles as well.

    Best of luck!

  • 2 years ago

    Please clarify, did the contractor install same quartz you picked by name but not the specific slab you wanted? Or did the contractor switch one quartz product for another? Have you spoken with a local prosecutor about charging contractor with criminal fraud? Spoken with a contract lawyer about suing contractor for breach of contract?

  • 2 years ago

    martacha,,,what stone did I post that you like? are you talking about the countertop or a backsplash tile? (you keep saying stone but I think you mean quartz)


    You never answered as to why the vendor installed the wrong one and won't compensate or exchange it. Why not? Did you order something on paper? I don't understand if you order one type but get another type, why it isn't being rectified. Have you paid in full?


    So you like the Calacatta Laza quartz much better than what was installed? (what is th name of the one that you got installed?)


    here's the Laza. (is that what you requested?)





  • 2 years ago

    @marylut the quartz that he installed was the first quartz that was listed on our selection sheet at the stone yard (it was the first of 4). The last stone on the sheet was the stone that we selected. Our final selection was indicated on the sheet by the worker at the stone yard, as well as verbally stated by us to our GC, and we physically handed our GC a sample of the slab that we wanted. Our GC recommended this stone yard to us as he does work with them, so he was the one who went to the yard once we made our selection to pay and handle all the details and paperwork. Therefore, we don’t have any of the actual paperwork associated with this but we have requested it from our GC. Yes, we have spoken to our lawyer about this. I don’t think this was done intentionally, but nonetheless it is an error that will have to be rectified somehow.

  • 2 years ago

    @beth H. He installed moon valley by Vadara and was supposed to install et calcatta gold by silestone.

    I know I use “stone” instead of “quartz”- sorry!

    I meant that I liked the portmore Kingston tile that you posted. I found sample on tilebar’s website already.

    I typed a comment right above this one about the situation and where confusion occurred. Hope that clarifies it. Thank you again for your feedback!

  • 2 years ago

    I found a few pictures of the Moon Valley.



    The slab and kitchen photo looks to have quite a bit of the orangey copper color in it, where as your seems a little less bright.

    The Calacatta Gold quartz id definitely more subtle in the amount of gold in it, so I personally would have prefered that to all the orange in the MV.

    Also you ok with those brighter reddish copper “veins”? I see a big one here.

    Have you peeled off the film to make sure those veins do not get even brighter red? Under the wrap, yours does look more sedate, like more of a brownish copper, but I would just make sure it is not intensified once the wrapping is removed.

    It ultimately falls on your GC to fix though because he should have been on site to catch the mistake before installation.

    If you think you will come to love the coppery MV, then asking for a discount is reasonable.

    But if you think you will always walk into your kitchen and regret not getting the look you wanted, then please do not hesitate or feel bad to tell your GC to replace it with what you ordered. If they show you paperwork with the CG on it, I personally would fight for the redo because the orange is a little much for my tatse. But then others may prefer it!

    So, it all depends on what will make YOU happy and love your kitchen the most. 🥰


Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner