Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenlutz82

What do I do with this entryway?

jenlutz82
3 months ago

we have two small walls upon entering the house. i think the space right now is too cluttered and im not sure im using the space correctly. the first table closest to the door is where we drop keys and mail, the second wall is used for the kids to drop off their shoes. the space across from the two walls is a small room used for my home office/coat closet.

any tips or suggestions on making this space functional and prettier?

Comments (11)

• Lyn Nielson
    3 months ago

while you still have children in the home... we all cater to their needs.

buy or DIY a unit with hanging options. example:

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

IMO 2 coat closets one on each side of the doorway and a hook on the wall for keys . The clsets can be shallow with hooks inside for coats but then at least all that clutter is hidden . I know it is hard to teacj kids to take the shoes to their rooms but a fact is they won't when young so at least hide the clutter this is the entry to your home and because it is it needs to reflect the rest of your home

• partim
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

There are a lot of little things here, I agree it looks a bit cluttered.

You could start by removing the table and decor items on and above it. Put the mail in your office. Remove the mirror and the decor items around the coat hooks. Maybe that's all you need to do.

Do you use those coat hooks? What is the white thing above the key holder? If it needs to stay, maybe a white key holder/mail holder would blend in better. https://www.amazon.com/FifthQuarter-Mail-Holder-Wall-White/dp/B0B715XDG1/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=front%2Bdoor%2Bkey%2Bholder&qid=1704234289&sr=8-18&th=1

• tracefloyd
    3 months ago

Shoe racks always look cluttered. Remove it. Can you move it to the office/coat closet? It seems like a logical place since the coats are there. Same for coat racks...cluttered looking.

What about everyone carrying their shoes/coats to their respective bedrooms? Nothing should be at a stair landing-- as a safety measure anyway.

• acm
    3 months ago

If nobody hangs things on the hooks over the shoe rack, then maybe you could put actual (larger) art there rather than dangle tiny (busy) things. If you don't want to see the shoes, there are closed storage options, but then you might want to change up your console table so that you replace the shelf with a stool or bench that can be pulled out for shoe removal.

Tribesigns Shoe Storage Cabinet With Flip Doors, White · More Info

Entry · More Info

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

The shoe rack looks incredibly functional and well used, though the hooks above it don't. The table closer to the door doesn't look very used but the hooks above it do.

Put the shoe rack where the table is. Find another home for the table - elsewhere in your house or give it away. Remove the hooks above the current shoe rack location. Make the side to the left of your kitchen door empty. Have the shoe set up closer to the front door so you don't see it as much when you walk by.

• jenlutz82
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This looks incredible! Thank you so much!!

• jenlutz82
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Suggestions on non-slip low pile rug?

• simplynatural
    3 months ago

Glad you like it!

The rug shown is from rugsdirect.com; search for "Hanover Query". It's 100% jute, woven (so no pile), thickness 2/5"; this is a 5'x8' (if the visualizer scaled it correctly). I chose it for its looks; you'll have to evaluate how well it would function. Jute can be scratchy on bare feet, for example. It's non-slip for people walking on it; I really don't know how well it would stay in place on the tile floor. Anyone else know?

• PRO
    Annette Jaffe Interiors
    2 months ago

You might consider looking at closed shoe storage and removing everything from the walls aside from the hooks. It looks a little cluttered but that might help. You could also look at doing a mirror over the shoe storage to help make things seem bigger (since it will reflect things). Below are just a few entry designs we have done to help you more with your dilemma:

White & Bright · More Info

Sands Point Modern · More Info

Boca Raton · More Info