Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleh_blah

Marble bathroom tile extended to closets?

4 months ago

Help! I'm building a home & whilst away for Christmas, my builder pulled the subflooring in the 2 master br closets to extend the marble bathroom floors in closets. The closets are entered thru the bathroom. My bathroom has marble flooring with octagonal tiles of varying shades, whites, and cream. I am not sure how I feel about having that in both the master br closets, which are fairly large closet spaces. Is this needed aesthetically? Could I just put the carpet in the closets? Idk why the wood subsurface was pulled up? We are on a time budget at this point....nd I need to do the most efficient route, but also, I don't really want to waste money on beautiful marble tiles in my closets. Of course, I will be speaking to our contractor about this, but I would love feedback in regards to aesthetics. Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    4 months ago

If he’s already pulled up the subfloor (not exactly sure what that means) it’s likely cheapest to continue with tile but that’s really a question for him. Closets entered through a bath are oddly polarizing.

• 4 months ago

What do your plans show for the closet flooring? If they don't specify the tile floors then you may get the flooring changed without a change order charge. Regardless, I would prefer the tile over the carpet since I'd be concerned about walking into the closet with wet/damp feet.

I do not share the antipathy of some here toward closets accessed from a bathroom, and expect that everyone puts in good exhaust fans to control humidity and odors.

We've had several homes that had tile, either marble or porcelain, in the primary bathroom and hardwood in the bedroom and closet. The closet was accessed directly from the bathroom in each house. In our current home, the tile continues into the closets and it's heated just as the bathroom floors are heated. I much prefer the tile.

• PRO
    4 months ago

I avoid clothes closets that are only accessible through a bathroom. It reduces the possibility of stepping on small puddles of water with stocking feet.

• 4 months ago

I have a large walk in closet entered through the bathroom only. It shares the same large format terrazzo tile as the bathroom. I love it. It makes the design look more continuous. I also added a washer/ dryer in the closet. Personally, I would prefer the marble tile over carpet. I bet it will give it a more upscale look also.

• 4 months ago

Thank you all for your advice on this one. Originally I understood we would put the hardwood flooring [in master br as well as most of the house] in the closet. The closet floors were prepped for the hardwood before I left for Christmas holiday. The subflooring for wood floors was pulled up while I was out of town. Must have been a reason...maybe moisture concerns? Still scratching my head. We are too far in to our construction to move the closet entry from our bathroom, but I appreciate the point that a bathroom entry is not the best idea. That makes sense! Wish I would've thought of bathroom moisture while in the planning phase. I decided I will stick with the marble flooring in the closets. Must be a good move regarding humidity and I agree thst it will look better. I will share a photo when it is installed.

• 4 months ago

Thank you all for your advice on this one. Originally I understood we would put the hardwood flooring [in master br as well as most of the house] in the closet. The closet floors were prepped for the hardwood before I left for Christmas holiday. The subflooring for wood floors was pulled up while I was out of town. Must have been a reason...maybe moisture concerns? Still scratching my head. We are too far in to our construction to move the closet entry from our bathroom, but I appreciate the point that a bathroom entry is not the best idea. That makes sense! Wish I would've thought of bathroom moisture while in the planning phase. I decided I will stick with the marble flooring in the closets. Must be a good move regarding humidity and I agree thst it will look better. I will share a photo when it is installed.

• 4 months ago

I think that’s the right move! Your contractor should have let you know, even if he had good reason. I have no moisture issues in my closet and love having access from the bathroom. I also have a washer/dryer in there. My father also has a w/d and bathroom access to their shower. No issues with moisture. for either of us.

• 4 months ago

The rental (which was a new build) I was living in had a primary closet accessible only from the primary bath. The bath was tiled and the closet (large) was carpeted. It worked well.