Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Garden plans for 2024?

dirtygardener
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

What are your garden plans for 2024? I noticed that the 2023 thread had been bumped, so I decided to start a new one just for this year.

I should call this thread "best laid plans," because something always seems to go awry with my garden plans. Last year, I was going to redo all the garden beds. Never got around to it.

So this year, I'm going to try again, starting with selling most of my larger plants that don't produce food. I'm sort of addicted to the Lowe's death racks, and have just rescued way too many plants. The upside is that i hardly propagated anything this year, so I didn't have a lot of tiny plants to protect from the freeze.

Even with as little space as I have to garden, I've created a monster here. I'm old now, and I just can't take care of it all anymore. Well, I could, but I don't want to. I want to pursue other interesting things, like jewelry making, that don't take as much physical labor. i've left two places now because I couldn't take care of the yard...first my 5 acres in SC, then my 1/4 acre in SW FL, but I'm not leaving here...just downsizing the garden. The older I get, the less large-scale gardening appeals to me.

So as soon as this freeze is over this week, I'll start selling things and digging things up. Anyone in the Greater Gainesville area that would like to help me, I'll pay you with plants. I'm being serious.

Comments (6)

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Sultry, where are you now? North Florida? I can attest that the storms, especially in the spring and fall, have insane winds. You have to cement anything into the ground that you don't want blown away, and even then, the top might blow off.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 months ago

Way up in the Panhandle. Yes our storms are crazy here. More tornados and high winds than where we used to live. We are probably safer from hurricanes being more inland.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    3 months ago

Deb I feel for you. As you know I had to downsize and curtail my non-orchid gardening very severely due to my health issues. Hub and I spent half an hour this morning sprucing upthe little flower garden we have now. Half an hour! and it all looks nice and neat and the three pots in it are ready for my zinnia and cosmos seeds.

The orchid GH is still going but hubs is doing a lot of the work. unfortunately I can only help every few days but he wants to continue taking care of the plants for which I'm grateful. It's easier now that I rehomed about 50 plants so we only have about 100 and the plan is to only replace plants that die…and as hard as that is I'm sticking to it because hubs has enough to do with being my caregiver and taking care of everything around here.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I sure know what creating a monster can look like! We are constantly battling vines in our yard - Virginia creeper is horrible, and so is coral vine - tho it has lovely, bee-attracting flowers. I wish I'd never introduced the coral vine, and that I hadn't let the V. creeper take off.

So my plans are the same as practically every year - clean up and try to make things neater and easier to maintain.

I'm lucky hubby will do grunt work digging stuff up, but the flipside of that is that he has no patience and so often, the good goes out with the bad. My Rangoon creeper is no more after his last effort 😕

There are lots of seeds left behind, tho. Perhaps I can start a new one, who knows?

On second thought, do I really need another creeper vine? Ah well, it was pretty - and fragrant - while it lasted.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I love your Rangoon Creeper! I left my other one at the old place. I had the double type.

I am going to get another one asap! I have big plans for vines this year. We have cleared pastures all around the house and the front 6 acres up to the ponds. So I need to plant trees and shrubs and flowering vines.

Right now, I am starting butterfly pea vines..double blue, double lavender, and double white. I have grown the single blue before. It is supposed to make a good blue tea! If you add lemon to the blue tea, it will turn pink!

The back acreages are all woods that still need clearing. The vines back there are Kudzu and Smilax and Japanese Honeysuckle..Everwhere!!! lol

Luckily, the goats and pigs love them. It just isnt properly fenced off back there yet so I cant let them on the loose yet.

What seeds are you all planting? I started my tomatoes they need up potting badly. I still need to start peppers.

My last frost date here is supposedly April 1st! However, they now say we are zone 9a instead of 8b. I will believe it when I see it. We got a late March freeze last year that killed off all my mulberry fruits.