Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisareitzes

Trying to decide on kitchen floor

Lisa
10 years ago
Hello, I do not like our white ceramic tiled kitchen floor. I prefer the look of wood floor but our entire downstairs is wood floor and in order for new wood floor to match the existing, we would have to leave our house for several days to sand and stain. That is not an option for us. So I can either a) get a wood floor that doesn't look anything like our current wood floor (so it looks obvious we weren't trying to match), b) try and match even though it might look off, or c) get tile floor. I'm inclined to go with a or c. Just wanted to get some advice on what to do or what might look best. I definitely want to make the kitchen feel warmer.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Sandi Perry Interiors
    10 years ago
    A really nice idea to make a kitchen feel warmer is to try slate. It's a natural stone that comes in a variety of colors and is extremely easy to keep clean. It will mesh beautifully with your wood flooring.
    Lisa thanked Sandi Perry Interiors
  • atable7
    10 years ago
    We installed prefinished wood floor which doesn't require moving out as there are no odors. Look at Unique wood floors in Hopkins, MN. They ship all across the country. What if you lay your grain perpendicular to your DR floor. Then, if it is slightly different, it will not be obvious. I am currently considering bamboo in the kitchen to replace our tile as it is very durable, but we have the same problem of two different wood floors adjacent to our kitchen on either side.
    Lisa thanked atable7
  • PRO
    Rinehart Custom Homes
    10 years ago
    @Atable7- just a little advice with bamboo-- it is very durable, but something that some people dont realize is that it can also be a very soft wood- so dropping things on it or scratching it will be easy depending on what kind of finish that is used.
    Lisa thanked Rinehart Custom Homes
  • 0825sam
    10 years ago
    I vote for trying to match the best you can and using a border for the transition
    Lisa thanked 0825sam
  • Tina Jack
    10 years ago
    Have you thought of using cork? Soft, warm, sound absorbing.
    Lisa thanked Tina Jack
  • santorek
    10 years ago
    We were faced with the same dilemma and went with a light stone pattern porcelain tile. (Daltile pyramid beige). Now I don't have to worry about the grandchildrens spilled milk festering between the cracks of a wood floor.
    Lisa thanked santorek
  • PRO
    All About Looks
    10 years ago
    There is a porcelain tile now that looks like wood! It is absolutely beautiful in kitchens.
    Lisa thanked All About Looks
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    You'll love wood flooring in your kitchen after living with tile floors. I'd try to match in every way, color, grain and the way it's laid but I would add a darker wood border, about a foot wide.
    Lisa thanked Maguire
  • mkprizwan
    10 years ago
    There's a lot of beautiful and affordable porcelain tile around these days, much of it looks like real stone (ceramic always seems to fall short on this point) - I love wood and stone together! Cleaning and up keeping slate isn't always easy.
    Lisa thanked mkprizwan
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Tile or slate would be your best choice. You are not going to match the wood, and wood in the kitchen has problems: whatever you spill will go down in the cracks, the texture holds dirt, it can dent if you drop something, etc. There are so many fantastic choices with tile these days; if you haven't looked at tile in a few years, you will be amazed.
    I also wouldn't go with a wood-look tile, because of its proximity to real wood. The same problem as using a laminate next to hardwood. Better to go for a real contrast in materials rather than clash.

Having said all that, you could probably inject warmth into this kitchen without replacing a perfectly good tile floor. If you were to put a wooden (not painted wood) table and chairs in the eating area, some great curtains with warm tones, replace the dated light fixtures with modern, interesting ones, and paint the walls a strong color, the floors would support the design rather than detract from it.
    Lisa thanked sstarr93
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    We just had our kitchen floors refinished and there's absolutely no problem matching stains. Our kitchen butts up to a newer section of wood floors and an older section and the transition between them all is unnoticeable. Since each piece of wood is slightly different it's very easy to match the overall look. A good refinisher will show you several variations of new stain right next to the existing and you'll pick. He'll sand over the ones you didn't like and stain the whole new kitchen floor to match the older floors. Your place will flow and not look chopped up. Having all floors alike will make your home look more spacious. It'll just look right.

You'll be living with this for a long time so pick the option you really want. But, trust me on this, matching existing stain is not a problem.
    Lisa thanked leelee
  • Lynn Croze
    10 years ago
    We had the same problem. We chose strand bamboo flooring and love it. I will add photos. Not completely done with the remodel but close!
    Lisa thanked Lynn Croze
  • wncbl
    10 years ago
    Leave the flooring and decorate the area as someone else suggested. Clean up the clutter and carefully consider what you leave on countertops. The hardware on the cabinets should complement new lighting. Consultation with an interior decorator could prove very valuable and not expensive. Just need to look at the area with an eye to 2013 and beyond.
    Lisa thanked wncbl
  • Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your input. @wncbl and @sstarr93--I plan to change the lighting (updated pendant, ditch the horrible florescent with recessed lights, etc). I also want to add some color with curtains, etc. My husband and I however HATE this floor. It's white and doesn't belong in a kitchen. We have two little kids and I have to constantly clean this floor so that it doesn't look dirty. It's also cracked and chipped--it is cheap ceramic tile. I want to start with the floor and figure out everything else from there. We'll either go with trying to match wood with a dark strip between the floors or I like the idea of a stone / stone-looking floor. Good to know that slate might be hard to clean (deal breaker)!
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    I had an expensive porcelain tile kitchen floor and anything the kids dropped on it exploded and chipped or cracked the tile. Once a year I had to pay someone to come in and replace tiles, clean and reseal the grout. Nearly every tile or stone will have the upkeep and shatter anything that drops on it. As you know a wood floor is warmer and quieter.
    I think your kitchen is really nice, great wall color and kids love seeing their pictures on the fridge. You have great taste, trust your instincts.
    Lisa thanked Maguire
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    Porcelain tile
    Lisa thanked vjs12
  • PRO
    Litwiller Construction
    10 years ago
    A high end LVT like Duraceramic in a stone look with grout joints could look awesome and be comfortable to live on. It could go over your existing tile with no tearout.
    Lisa thanked Litwiller Construction
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Considering the colors in the photo, why not Philadelphia Travertine? Either a versaillies pattern or 12 x 18 laid side to side when walking into the kitchen.
    Lisa thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • PRO
    Nexon Building Materials Limited
    10 years ago
    I would recommend porcelain tile planks that have the appearance of wood. There are many colors and shades to choose from and many of them are inspired by different types of wood as well. The only thing I would caution would be the transitional piece where the two different surface flooring meets. Pay attention to the transition molding strips.
  • PRO
    Nexon Building Materials Limited
    10 years ago
    and here's a photo to show how it looks after installation.
    Lisa thanked Nexon Building Materials Limited
  • yonube
    10 years ago
    Choice #1: extend your existing flooring and refinish.
    Choice #2: pick a porcelain that complements the existing floor, instead of competing with it.
    Good luck!
    Lisa thanked yonube
  • kmikes
    10 years ago
    Have you ever thought about travertine tiles. I used it in my kitchen and it hid dirt very well. Mine didn't stain at all and I had dropped everything from tea to tomato sauce. It also combos very nicely with oak floors. I just moved into a new house with ceramic tiles and they are 20 times more difficult to keep clean. I'm constantly cleaning up every little drop of water that falls on the floor.
    Lisa thanked kmikes
  • PRO
    COCo
    10 years ago
    I love the porcelain tile planks, make sure they are colored through out many are not. I would use the color white straight pattern.

What is the wall there for as you enter? If it is just there, I would contemplate building in a banquette from 1/2 the width of the wall and around to stop just in line with the table. I would use the bottom, for storage and do a marble top for the table.

Prefer a pure white or a bit of color creama marfil is beautiful and delecante. . With this banquette it gives you the opportunity for a glorious banquette in turquoises and reds a fiery Moroccan type of pattern. There is little color and this way you can have your white cabinets re painted or as is. You are fortunate to have a nice long kitchen and a good area for a bad quette.
    Then your floor could be wood in a lighter or very dark stain and a transom on the transfer could pick up the marble from the tab.e.
    I think it would be good transition. The top of the banquette could be tall 42" and roll back. This would dress up the kitchen, providing you want something different.
    As I look back on the photo I think it would really dress the room. You have the option for shades or curtains. Try the shade store they have great pricing a d good product.
    The banquette there is one in every town and fabrics try www.mldernfabrivs.com these are left over from jobs and priced great. No chairs, one bench that tucks under with cushioned seat.. More room more movement around the kitchen and a great table for all to gather, dinner, cards, drinks chats a very good focal point.
    Floor the pattern that looks like wood in the white and bright white walls. The fabric will say it all so you are almost there.
    Enjoy
    Annela
    Lisa thanked COCo
  • Janice Sweeney
    10 years ago
    I really think you should have wood floors in your kitchen--they will totally transform the space. I know how hard it is to move out during the sand/stain process but you should do it. You will be so happy with the result!
    Lisa thanked Janice Sweeney
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    You do not have to move out for adding hardwood to kitchen, although you will lose access to the kitchen for a few days.

Just move the refrigerator into dining area and set up a temp kitchen of microwave, toaster and a single burner. Use gas grill and frozen dinners for a few days and you're done.
    Lisa thanked Judy M
  • vjs12
    10 years ago
    I like Cinar's suggestion. I like tile in a kitchen area because it is less maintenance. Here is my kitchen with porcelain tile and wood in dining room.
    Lisa thanked vjs12
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Depending upon how thick your current wood floor is, if you find a tile or stone that works for your area and the thicknesses are around the same you can bypass having a Tmold transition. I have better pictures of jobs that we have completed that show what I am saying but not on this computer. Either way, best of luck to you!
    Lisa thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • Janice Sweeney
    10 years ago
    I vote for a wood floor in your kitchen--instant warmth and beauty. I have children and a dog and the floor is fine.
    Lisa thanked Janice Sweeney