Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecasta

Wallpaper paint color help

ecasta
2 months ago

Hi again! This is the gorgeous wallpaper that I ordered from my bedroom. Mine will go floor to ceiling. I was hoping someone could take the beige or creamy sky color into the crown and ceiling with a little computer magic please? We have to paint first and small samples just aren’t cutting it. I spent a fortune on this wallpaper and hope to get the color right the first time. Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (138)

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

I’m doing my best to move past all the mistakes. I’m trying watercolors to hide the white edges on the seams. That’s about all I can do. At least I have a new luxury paper installer if I ever decide to redo this disaster one day. 🤦‍♀️

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Honestly, there are so many problem areas that I don’t know where to begin. Many of them are things you have to get up close to see, but still they’re there, which is disappointing. There’s a huge overlap seam right behind my headboard, but no one wants to touch it for fear of making it worse. After two experts came out and said there’s nothing to do I guess I’m just looking for some advice on to move forward because that’s about all I can do at this point. Here are two photos. The bedding and the rug are going to go and the chandelier needs new candle covers and shades. Lots to do still, but as you know, I’ve kind of hit the wall here. Thanks so much for your kindness, support and encouragement. Not sure what the message is yet with all these projects gone wrong, but hopefully it’ll become clear sometime soon.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

8x10 rug will help. Still trying to figure that out because it’s not easy to wrestle and return if I get it wrong.

• Jilly
    last month

Wow! I can’t see the flaws, but from this distance it looks fabulous!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

Unless it looks much different from the photo, it’s not terrible.

• doods
    last month

Agree with Jilly ^^^. I bet once you get the rest of the decor done you will feel better. Just remember life isn't perfect but still beautiful, your bedroom will be too!

• PRO
    last month

Could you move the bed to the right a bit? You’d have to move the chair too. But maybe your eye would focus more on the large tree on the left, and lessen the effect of the seam.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Find a faux effects painter in your area.

A good one can make the seam disappear and a whole lot else.

We STILL can't really see a seam...you are afraid to get close with the camera?

Why?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

"There’s a huge overlap seam right behind my headboard, but no one wants to touch it for fear of making it worse."

As I said:

Did not know how to double cut. There is no such thing as gluing paper to paper, no such thing as "overlap". There is only double cut and match.

Not. A. Pro. and he should have refused to do it, as this: " your selection is beyond my skill set. But thank you for considering me"

• njmomma
    last month

Your room looks beautiful!!! Every room that has been decorated, redone, renovated will have a flaw. You fix or have fixed, sometimes it’s never perfect.

• palimpsest
    last month

I can see the seam behind the headboard but I think that will be less obvious with window treatments. You could make the room darker and moodier.

The stairwell in my house is a bit off kilter, and the corners where the wallpaper meet are wavy because they are plaster on masonry so there is a little bit of overlap in the wallpaper in the corners, and I can see it. But I understand why it ended up that way and I got used to seeing it.

• Shazia
    last month

Your room looks so lovely! The wallpaper is gorgeous! And even though the seam would kill me too…it will also disappear after sometime. At least from your consciousness 😊

Is it just me or would a larger rug look even better? I’m awful at rug choices and once returned 10 8x10 rugs. True story 😂 and yes they’re a bear to return!! Hopefully the pros guide you in the right direction here

• palimpsest
    last month

I like the scale of the paper in your room (full wall) better than the smaller scale of the paper in the inspiration room.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks so much everyone. The paper is lovely and I still like it. I Just have to move on and learn to ignore it all.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Hi! What about this rug?

• palimpsest
    last month

I might try grounding it with more green

https://safavieh.com/rugs/revive/rev102y

• PRO
    last month

Love that pebbled jute and wool!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

I had been looking at the pebbled jute rugs, but read reviews about a lot of shedding 🤷‍♀️. I suppose that may be the case with many rugs.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

West Elm Bordered Jute from above

Or.........Go to a local broadloom store for a wool in 12' wide goods. Cut, bind, done.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, was thinking of this. I like the classic Stark looks.

• palimpsest
    last month

I am a big proponent of the classic wool velvet cut broadloom serged edges as a 9x12 area rug. (Or bigger but 9x12 requires no waste). Just be aware, and you may be, that at Stark, this will be more like $85 -$115 or so a square yard, plus the serging, so it won't be a $350 rug, it will be more like a $1200 -$1500 rug.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

It will be more like a 2500.00 - 3500.00 rug: ) Depending serge, or super fine HAND bind. Which looks much finer and lasts much longer. but you trade must be very skilled. I am not referring to the way broadloom is sampled in a carpet store : )

Watch out on Stark for viscose, or tencel, or polysilk content and don't touch it.

• palimpsest
    last month

That's actually probably more accurate, the serging is charged by the inch I think. It also depends on whether you get a tufted or woven broadloom, the woven would be more expensive. I have one of each in two different bedrooms, and I think they were more in the range of what Jan says, but I was suppressing the actual cost in my mind.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Antrim makes great wools , Masland has some nice ones, but they will be in financial trouble soon as they mill only 12' widths - a problem in a hardwood world where nobody wants edge to edge, nor seams!

Much depends if you have the bind done locally, or from the mill. I have a fantastic local source, never serge, an you can barely SEE their hand bind.

I think the entire thread can be noted as "word of caution" when you fall in love with an internet anything.

Here? The sheer cost $$$$$ of the wallpaper.....the WHERE of where you see it used on the internet, Such as above a chair rail, and is your potential use of same going to set problems/expense/skill set issues ( a paper guy with no clue how to double cut seams) and the chain reaction that is always a consideration in changing a room......in BIGGER motion than anyone intended?

A very good lesson , indeed: ) as there are so many fabulous ways to oh so fabulous rooms.

• PRO
    last month

If you read the comments, you'd know that she already painted and wallpapered the room.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Heading to a local design showroom to check out wool carpet remnants on Wednesday. Thanks again everyone! I agree 8x10 is much better than my old, smaller sized rug.

• palimpsest
    last month

Just remember that if you are looking at bound broadloom you are not limited to standard sizes like you are with area rugs. You can do a 12 or 13'6" (usually) width by anything. Or any odd number of inches under 12' or 13'16" depending--and shaped.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Hi! I found this nice wool remnant today. Waiting for a sample to bring home now. Thoughts?

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

There was another beautiful rug, but it was made from Tencel. The designer was honest and told me that while it’s beautiful, it can be a lot of maintenance. Plus it would have to be sealed, so I am going to pass on that one.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

What did I say six exactly days ago?

"Watch out on Stark for viscose, or tencel, or polysilk content and don't touch it."

Wool, wool and nylon, nylon......sisal, jute and sisal........and you have to pick as we can not tell from a tiny sample and it needs to be seen in your room. By you.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Yes Jan, that’s why I knew he was being honest and to stay away from it!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    last month

Agreed on being seen in the room. I’m waiting for the samples to come in to try them at home.

• k8cd
    27 days ago

Can’t wait to see more progress on your room!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Hi! Still working on the rug. The salesman is nice enough to come and help me measure today to get the exact size. This popped up on marketplace for $75! It’s from Horchow. Do you think this would look nice at the end of the bed or don’t bother? 🤷‍♀️

• ecasta
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Here it is

• PRO
    24 days ago

I don't see that bench working with the style of your furniture.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

No. : ) Leggy confusion. The foot board is already the "star"....don't add

• ecasta
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Thought so. Thanks ladies!

• PRO
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

If you really want to add furniture, it should work with your Victorian style.

Here are some examples that could work:

dark wood with upholstered top:

The Gastonian-Sheftall · More Info

Dark wood, upholstered arms and seat:

New Old House · More Info

Pair of X benches in dark wood with upholstered seats:

Louis XVI Style Bedroom · More Info

You can use benches in another spot, if not at the footboard.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Great ideas, thank you!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Hi everyone! I’m still waiting for my carpet samples. In the meantime, I ordered samples of various colors of 100% linen. It’s been tricky to find anything that is an exact match or even a nice looking contrast with so many colors going in the wallpaper. With all of the dark green the doors, trim, etc. I didn’t want anything dark. I’ve narrowed it down to these two samples. I already have a new Pottery Barn Belgian linen duvet and shams set in ivory, but it is reading yellow so maybe that could be folded up at the end of the bed or sold. These samples are from a popular Etsy seller overseas, who makes linen bedding and has many good reviews. Sorry for the small picture, but I was trying to incorporate the wallpaper behind. Maybe you could zoom in? TIA!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    12 days ago

The Etsy seller is called Mooshop. I couldn’t get the link to cut and paste here. I like the wrinkly linen look with the ruffles.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Pottery Barn had a similar color to the color on the left they call dark flax. I would like to support a small business if possible. I’m leaning toward the greige color on the left. There was a light blue I was also considering, but it was too icy of a light blue.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Sorry for all the posts. This is easier to see. Thoughts?

• Boxerpal
    12 days ago

I love watching this come along. Great options and the wrinkled bedding is so beautiful

• ecasta
    Original Author
    11 days ago

This was on Amazon. I like the blue too. 🙄🤦‍♀️

• ecasta
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I’ve never seen this site before. The champagne and dark green are nice options 🤷‍♀️ at linensalvage.com

• ecasta
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Sorry for so many posts. I didn’t think the betting would be so challenging.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Bedding!