Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_690664953

Adding Shutters

2 years ago

Hi there. I have always toyed with the idea of adding shutters to my rather basic colonia (I live in New England). However I am not sure if it would look odd due to the correct size shutter I would need and the little space between the windows. I have posted a few pictures of my home and a few of inspiration photos in terms of color. Lastly if you think shutters would be a nice addition would you suggest louvered or raised panel? Thanks in advance.






Comments (12)

  • 2 years ago

    Lovely house - simplicity is elegant.


    I believe the windows on your inspo photos are further apart than yours? I am thinking if you added properly sized shutters they would not fit - maybe if you’re wanting a change, you could look at changing up the landscaping?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Sorry, but I don't see how you can consider shutters because the space between the windows on the first floor don't appear to be large enough to accommodate shutters.



  • 2 years ago

    Thank you, landscaping was next on the list of ideas for a little change.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    How wide is each window sash? 36”? Wider? What is the distance from the edge of one sash to the edge of the next? The exposed siding doesn’t matter as the shutters are hinged from the side of the window so hang over the trim and siding. In the New England houses the shutters often almost touch or even overlap.

  • 2 years ago

    Nothing "basic" about your Colonial, but it is simple and elegant, true to the style. I'm sure you are swayed by newer homes in your area with 2 roof materials, 3 siding/stone/brick materials, a mix of styles and some stuck on embellishments. More isn't always better!

    I would find a local landscape architect and come up with a plan that you can work on as time/budget allows.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I think you could probably squeeze in shutters, but it's not the first thing I'd do to improve the facade of your house. (Which is already really pretty!) I'd beef up/correct all your trim and window casings, switch to copper gutters if possible, and upgrade the landing/landscaping to something more classic. Check out Brent Hull's youtube page - he walks through ways he suggests to improve the facades of homes through these types of small corrections. One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNivWDEGCw

  • 2 years ago

    I had actually made a post last summer asking for opinions on adding copper gutters and the feedback i received was (emphatically) ”no” haha

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I love your house how it is! It reminded me of a house in my town that added shutters fairly recently, and they overlap because of the spacing between the windows. Hope this helps you visualize what it might look like.


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I do not think gutters a decor item for any exterior and IMO shuuters will nuddle what is a really nice exterior

  • 2 years ago

    Lovely home! You might get by with shutters on the upper windows only. Have you ever considered painting the window trim another color instead of shutters?

  • 2 years ago

    Interesting feedback about adding copper gutters. I live in southern New England and on classic/historic houses they are de riguer (and yes, a decor item). Like in the photo Cereal posted, where white tin gutters would ruin the look. That said, it's not the first thing I'd run out and do on your house.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor