Software
Houzz Logo Print
catlover952000

Window Treatment advice needed

2 years ago

Hello again. I’m looking to change the window treatments in my living room and dining room. There are 10 windows in all. The house is a center hall colonial and we like traditional with a historic feeling. We will be keeping the window shades and we will be having wood moulding installed around the window’s. The trim will be painted Navajo White like all the trim in the home. Im thinking of removing the valances and maybe pleated panels higher up over the windows. I will have them custom made to fit. I also need advice on the rods to use in these rooms. I think this will bring the feel of the room a little more modern. I’m not sure if this will look good and what color to choose. I like the wine/ burgundy color but maybe another color would look better. What do you think?? I appreciate any suggestions as always. Thank you in advance.

Comments (33)

  • 2 years ago

    Additional photos

  • 2 years ago

    The walls in the living room are Manchester White BM. The color in the dining room is Powell Buff BM

  • 2 years ago

    Why are you changing the curtains you have? You said you like traditional with a historic feeling but also say you want more modern? Any examples of rooms that have the feel you want?

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Drapery panels that have the colors of your room will serve you best. No valances. anymore. They haven't been popular for quite some time.












  • 2 years ago

    Great suggestions improve the color with a little burgundy

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Before you purchase anything, remove the valances and the ties and hang the panels straight. I would also slide the panels to either end of the double window. No panels in the middle.

    It may be just enough freshening up that you won't feel the need to invest in new window treatments.



  • 2 years ago

    @partim I was trying to explain that I like the traditional style and historical but I’m trying to do something to just freshen up the look on the windows, to bring it more traditional and current. Sorry for the confusion. I have this picture that I had pulled out before.

  • 2 years ago

    These suggestions are very helpful. Thank you.
    I agree that it’s time for the valances to go. Without them the windows should look lighter and taller.
    Im wondering about this.
    There’s a lot of pattern in the rugs in each of the rooms.
    Is it ok to have another pattern on the window treatments?
    There’s 6 windows in the living room. In the dining room theres 2 windows.
    Is that too much pattern?

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I would go with SOLID ivory/tan/beige color from your rug for drapes cos your rug already busy.

    Some guide


  • 2 years ago

    How should I handle these two windows that are very close to each other?
    How should the panels be hung? Two panels together in the middle next to each other, like they are now ?
    The windows only have 4 1/2 inch wall between the two windows.

  • 2 years ago

    After new wood moulding is added, will there be any wall between the windows?

    Are the curtains going to be stationary, with the existing blinds providing privacy and light control?

  • 2 years ago

    After the wood moulding is added no wall will be showing between the two windows.
    The curtains will be stationary with the blinds for privacy and light control.

  • 2 years ago

    I would put the curtains on the outside only, with a long enough curtain rod that the glass is not covered.

  • 2 years ago

    You could use wood rods, raised up closer to the ceiling, and hang the curtains from wood rings. Paint the wood the same Navajo White as your woodwork.

  • 2 years ago

    A subtle print on a beige-ish background could look really nice, but it is a lot of work trying to pull off mixing prints, so if it feels like too much of a chore, just go with solid. I'd do antique brass rods and rings. I'd hang a curtain in the


    I too am a big fan of historic and traditional with a bit of an updated feel. Few thoughts, feel free to ignore since you didn't ask for this: Swap out chandelier globes for ones with no frill - though keep your current ones in storage. New lamp shade next to chair. Change the light bulb in that lamp. It's yellowing the room. Remove the red throw pillows on the chair and sofa.

  • 2 years ago

    @Kendrah
    I really appreciate your input.
    Im going to do a solid because there is enough print in the rugs and one of the living room sofas has a print as well.
    I like the idea of the antique brass rods.
    Im undecided about the color of the curtain’s. I like the contrast of the burgundy color and walls.
    Maybe a deeper shade of a beige can work but is that too blah?? What do you think?

    I never thought of swapping out the chandelier globes. That’s a great idea.
    What shape of lamp shade would look good with that lamp?
    If I remove the burgundy pillows on the chair and sofa should I replace with another color pillow or no pillow’s at all?

  • 2 years ago

    What type lamp shade would look best?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    A panel on each end of double window. None in the middle. I think the burgundy is dark so look at the deepest taupe in the rug and see if you like that. If you are going custom made the person doing the work will have lots of fabrics to show you to bring home to see in your light. Bring home some of the beige and burgundy samples. You could also hang rods higher for updated look.

    My double window with panels on end and about 4" of trim between. (picture isn't very good as I can't seem get it without the glare).



  • 2 years ago

    I would also look at prints that read solid, like tweeds and small checks. Or fabric with texture, like raw silk or linen. It will add some oomph to the window treatments without competing with the rugs.




  • 2 years ago

    Great advice. Thank you.

  • 2 years ago

    Do you like any of these??

  • 2 years ago

    They are ivory in color. It’s not a great photo.

  • 2 years ago

    This is a better photo

  • 2 years ago

    They look to formal. But maybe that’s the look you are going for . I loved the pictures someone above sent with just a little print of burgundy

  • 2 years ago

    This is another I was considering

  • 2 years ago

    That one is number 6. It has a bit of color in it.

  • 2 years ago

    I love this one

  • 2 years ago

    That’s the one I like the best also

  • 2 years ago

    It would be beautiful in there

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you

  • 2 years ago

    I can’t choose anything with too much color in it because the rug has a lot of pattern. But I do need texture that’s why I’m looking at these. The living room has 6 windows. The dining room on the other side of the foyer has two windows.
    This is a big investment so I’m trying to choose the right draperies that would be timeless.

  • 2 years ago

    I like that one too. It has just enough color in it for interest.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths