Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_337934374

First Home - Struggling With Oddly Shaped Living Room

HU-337934374
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hello all, we're so excited for our first home but also completely unable to brainstorm any other way to make this living room work with a couch and TV set up, given the door and fireplace location. [this is not our furniture, we haven't moved in yet]

We'd love to avoid having a TV (75") over the the mantle.

Even with a mantle mount to lower the TV when in use, the whole area will look so weird when lowered, and it would block the cute fireplace set up.

It seems weird to have the couch back to the fireplace, and it also seems weird and awkward to try to fit a 75" TV under the breakfast bar opening...

Any thoughts are so much appreciated.

Comments (13)

• auntthelma
    2 months ago

Hard to say with this picture. I am not sure the proportions.

• Sammie J
    2 months ago

I wish we had measurements for the space! Guessing...put the tv on the wall with the mirror, with a long cabinet under. Place the sofa in close to the same spot. Add two swivel chairs angled near the patio door wall. And then put a bookshelf on the wall as you enter, next to the fireplace.

• HU-337934374
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@judeslou I should have mentioned that wall next to the fireplace is only about half the size of a TV :(

• HU-337934374
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@sammie J this could actually work. You don't think it would be weird to walk down the stairs to the back of a couch though? I guess if we find a really cute couch...

• Andee
    2 months ago

Lots of LR entries are to the back of the couch. Get a sofa table and lamps to back up to the couch. (From experience!) I suggest you live there for a while before buying the cute couch.

• Sammie J
    2 months ago

Not weird at all to walk down steps to back of the couch. If space, Andee's idea of a sofa table would be a nice addition!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

I would block the straight stair with plants and force entry on the angle so that the path to the door is a straight shot.

There's only one wall to accommodate a 75" TV. That's not something you can place over the FP unless the fireplace is at least as wide.

• housegal200
    2 months ago

Get another TV that fits in the best location for watching and for entertaining so that it doesn't totally dominate the room. OR:

A couple living rooms with couch back to entry.. If you have a sectional, then turn it so one side faces TV wall and other faces fireplace and windows--very important so you enjoy windows and fireplace.

Modern Waterfront Kitchen · More Info

Or, if you don't have a sectional, then put TV on that far wall and two armchairs facing windows and fireplace as below. Do not get a loveseat--two comfy armchairs are much more functional.

Sonos Multi-Room Sound Systems · More Info

• HU-337934374
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks everyone for these super helpful ideas! Fingers crossed we have space to make the couch face the long wall, and to hide the back of the couch with a table/crendenza situation

• Design Fan
    2 months ago

It looks like you have a level change and/or a small wall/curb between the living room and the entry way. Is there a way to level the floor height in the entry way and living area? Do you plan to be in the home for a few years?

• housegal200
    2 months ago

Check out Etsy for custom designed back-of-the-sofa tables--wide but narrow; live edge; with a bottom shelf. Just do a search on Etsy site for "narrow sofa table wood." There are many examples for under $300.

A couple tweaks with your smallish living room footprint:

--Lose the fake plants, hassock next to chair, all the cluttery things under the counter opening. None of that stuff should be there. It should be a clear pathway into the room, not a way station for extra "stuff."

--Replace TV over fireplace with new art work. Put the existing art work on the wall with the TV when you move it. You can create a wide piece that fits that entire wall to balance out that huge screen. Your modern art work will help take the focus off the black screen.

Miami House · More Info

If your sectional gets turned, and it works, use the cabinet as an end table on the short side. It looks kind of lost and bulky where it is.

--Let your curtains hang straight and get a plain rod that goes all the way across the wall from the corner right up to the fireplace. Keep drapes to side for maximum light coming in.

--In good weather, grow some plants in colorful pots to look at right outside your glass doors. (Maybe stick you fake plants out there for now.) People often forget to create a nice view to look at through sliding glass doors. It's a way to extend the size of the living room so inside and outside are connected. This costs you very little.

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

I would place the TV on the long wall where there's a white framed mirror but without a floorplan with dimensions and knowing what furniture pieces you plan to use it's difficult to say if that's possible without blocking off the fireplace from the furniture arrangement.