Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_kalokerinos20

UGLY ROOF NEEDS HELP!

amy kalokerinos
last month

Any ideas on how to make this roof line better would be greatly appreciated!! Will need to replace the roof anyway and want to try and make it look better.

Comments (25)

• PRO
    amy kalokerinos
    Original Author
    last month

How would you update the house then, you would just do the door?

• tfitz1006
    last month

I love your roof but not your door. I would just replace that and paint it a cool color, like even a deep eggplant color like Caponata or a Blue/Black like Soot.

amy kalokerinos thanked tfitz1006
  • palimpsest
    last month

If you need to replace the roof, I would do a darker plain shingle. The roofs of houses of this sort are pretty prominent and lighter shingles can get streaky like this because of the patterns of how they shed water.

This is a nice example of a 1970s -80s shed style contemporary.

amy kalokerinos thanked palimpsest
  • palimpsest
    last month

If you have the budget to doing something as big as changing the roofline, maybe you have a large budget to do a period-style contemporary door.

The name escapes me of the maker of these front doors but these were a contemporary door of the period:

• palimpsest
    last month

Here they are: Forms + Surfaces bonded metal doors

https://www.forms-surfaces.com/bonded-metal-doors

• kandrewspa
    last month

I agree with palimpsest about the roof. A new front door could create some interest. A lot of interesting, bright colors are used on doors of MCM homes. You could also replace the two doors with one door and add sidelights. There are a lot of options. And the landscaping definitely needs to be refreshed.

Sandy Springs House · More Info

Mimosa · More Info

Lindenwood Custom · More Info

Mid-Century Modern home remodel · More Info

Mid Century Modern · More Info

amy kalokerinos thanked kandrewspa
  • Sammie J
    last month

I love your roofline! Get an updated, modern door - paint it a color, maybe eggplant. And LANDSCAPING to help take the eyes away from the walls in the front and instead lead the eyes to the door!! Use color, texture, various heights.

amy kalokerinos thanked Sammie J
  • susan49417
    last month

What is the current color of the siding? It looks off white or in some pictures light blue. The house color may dictate color of roof. I agree with a dark solid color shingle with new fabulous bright colored doors. Then work with a landscape architect to implement a new landscaping plan to include various colors, heights, textures. Your house will be stunning with these changes.

amy kalokerinos thanked susan49417
  • PRO
    amy kalokerinos
    Original Author
    last month

Hi @susan49417 to answer your question, the house is painted a light grey color.

• RedRyder
    last month

Doing medium grey shingles will be better on this house. Timberline has a great visualizer you can play with.

Having a light fray house gives you tons of options for a new door color. I agree that changing it to a fabulous front door in a striking color will make it a focal point. I’m loving the idea of an eggplant front door, but so many colors would look great.

amy kalokerinos thanked RedRyder
  • RedRyder
    last month

Here are some door inspiration photos.

amy kalokerinos thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month
    last modified: last month

You might want to go with symmetry.

Some option

amy kalokerinos thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month

or you might want to cover all space above the front door

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Your home is really a perfect example of the shed home designs created during the 80s.

Here are some examples of how bad that style can look with different materials slapped on the exterior. You're very fortunate.

I agree the front doors need to be changed to something that fits the home. Staining the wood in a different, darker color could help the appearance and make it look less 'looming'.

amy kalokerinos thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
  • PRO
    amy kalokerinos
    Original Author
    last month

@BeverlyFLADeziner I really love the dark grey barn structure you posted, I wish I could get this house to look a bit more like that but again I realize via these posts I'm supposed to be embracing the roofline vs trying to change the entire look of the house.....

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

You need to focus your attention on something else. There is nothing wrong with the roofline of this shed style home.

You cannot turn a contemporary home into a traditional one. You have a really lovely home.

• la_la Girl
    last month

^ so agree, so much light and on a lovely lot! I would embrace a new more modern front door and add some thoughtful landscaping across the front -

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last month

I think the house is lovely and the roof line is just part of the style that it is.

I don't see anything wrong with the current off-white color. But the first thing that jumped out at me was that the door doesn't seem to fit the house. I think you need a more contemporary style door in a brighter color.

• mmc429
    last month

How old are the shingles?

• Lisa McLeod
    last month

New front door, better landscaping, and some cool mid century house numbers, this is going to be a stunner.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

The roof is the house so move or embrace it .This ais awesome modern house not MCM just modern All you need to replace is the actul roofing material changing roof lines is hugely expensive and IMO do not do so on this house you will ruin it .THat builders grade forn door is horrible so change than to doors that suit the house Something like this and maybe just white

• richfield95
    last month

Where do you live?

I know a dark roof is currently the style, but if you live in a sunny/warm climate, a dark roof will absorb more heat . This will in turn make your house warmer.

It would also make your roof stand out more in compariosn to the light siding. If you j tend to keep your current sidjng color, i tjink a mid-tone gray would work better.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!