Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_luisi

Outdoor Kitchen - Shade/Layout Help

Heather Luisi
last month

I really want to have an outdoor kitchen and fireplace/TV wall, but I'm struggling with a place to put it. I like the idea of building it along my retaining wall because it keep the space open, but I'm worried about it being too sunny in this area. Does anyone have an stylish ideas for adding shade to this area? Or a better recommendation of how to lay this out?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last month
    last modified: last month

We got cement slab, then used metal carport over slab for outdoor kitchen.

• Heather Luisi
    Original Author
    last month

Not sure this is for me. I'm looking for more of elegant modern solution.

• PRO
    last month

L-shape would work

• PRO
    last month

ok. then you can use less expensive sail shed

• chispa
    last month
    last modified: last month

What is your climate/location?

Will you actually use this outdoor space?

Are you designing for your actual lifestyle or the one you wish you had? We all get swayed by the cool and pretty photos of amazing entertainment space ...

I used to live in LA and we didn't spend that much time on our patio, specially as it faced west. We had a fireplace that we used twice in 10 years.

We built a house in FL and luckily the lot we found allowed us to have our patio/pool face east. Didn't bother with a fireplace (too hot most of the year) and didn't include a TV (also too hot/humid most of the year to sit outside).

I did add 2 water/fire bowls to the pool. The water/fountain part is tied into the pool filtration system and runs at the same time as the filter. The fire part is tied into our underground propane tank and are easily lit with gas lighter. We only use these when we have people over as they are also visible from inside (when it is too hot to be outside).

Most of the patios in FL (called lanai) are under roof to provide a large area with shade. It is the only way to even attempt to use the outdoor spaces. The covered patios are also useful for rainy days.

You have no covered patio area in your design.

Think carefully about what you will really use, as you will have to clean and maintain all those outdoor features.

• Heather Luisi
    Original Author
    last month

We live NY, Long Island suburbs to be exact. We love using our yard and entertain a ton in the fall, spring and summer. Currently we have an 8 seat high top table pinned against our house with a TV sitting on a side table and I run in and out of the house to grab stuff rom the kitchen. Because we're pinned against the house there is more shade.

We were looking to utilize more of our yard, increase the hangout space and get some additional seating. The fireplace was my idea because i'm always cold and thought it would be a beautiful feature and a better place to hang the TV. The only issue (I currently see) with moving away from the house is we lose a lot of shade, which is scary. I would hate to move everything over there and find out the sun is unbearable and an umbrella isn't enough shelter. I tried a few layouts with a pavilion, but because the house and pool aren't aligned it felt awkward.

The fireplace is going to be a gas fireplace and it would face west. Is that bad? if so, can you tell me why?

• Heather Luisi
    Original Author
    last month

@chispa sorry I forgot to @ you to above.

• chispa
    last month

Facing west in NY won't be as bad as facing west in CA or FL, but it will probably still be too hot in July and August. If you will use it that often, then I think you need to design roofing over some of the space.

Looking for some ideas in Houzz photos ...

Project of the Month: September 2017 · More Info

Elegant Pavilion - Laurel Hollow, NY · More Info

Dix Hills Outdoor Kitchen with Pavilion | Dix Hills, NY 11746 | Masonry-Stone · More Info

You can put retractable shades on a structure like this. We did that on the pergola of our west facing patio and it helped a lot.

Hampton Bays Project · More Info

My shades were similar to this style:

Extended.

Retractable Shades, San Rafael · More Info

Retracted.

Retractable Shades, San Rafael · More Info