Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

I’m a bit anxious

loisflan
last month

We packed our car up with all our ”stuff” and put it on a transport to carry it back home for the summer. Among that stuff were the six quilts I worked on this winter. I will feel so much better when I have those in my possession again. Everything else is replaceable, but not the hundreds of hours I spent cutting and piecing those quilts. We’ve never had any issues, but I can’t help worrying just a bit.

Comments (18)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    last month

Oh Lois, I think any one of us would have that feeling.......more than just a bit. Maybe you can visualize your many hours of sewing being carried into your house. I hope the vehicle is locked up good and tight when they stop. They should have a fresh driver every 8-9 hours .so there isn't a layover. I'm sorry.

loisflan thanked geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
  • polardream
    last month

Here is wishing safe travels for you and your quilts! It's like when you send a quilt in the mail ... and pray until it arrives at it's final destination. Good luck!

Sue

loisflan thanked polardream
  • loisflan
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Both we and the quilts arrived safely. Unfortunately we were greeted by an unplugged freezer full of smelly, rotten meat, fish, game and ice cream. What a mess! Oh, well, it needed to be defrosted anyway.

• polardream
    24 days ago

Oh Lois, what a mess! So sorry that happened. I am happy you and your quilts arrived safely.

loisflan thanked polardream
  • loisflan
    Original Author
    24 days ago

One of the last things my husband did before we left in December was to plug in a trickle charger to keep my car battery charged. He used that outlet. He must have either knocked the freezer plug out or pulled it out intentionally, thinking it was something else. The outlet is not located where anyone could knock it accidentally. I find that the older you get, the more dumb things you do. He turned 80 yesterday. I follow in November.

• msmeow
    24 days ago

Lois, I’m glad you and yohr hubby and your stuff made it safely home! Sorry to hear about the freezer, though.

Donna

loisflan thanked msmeow
  • nannykins
    24 days ago

Glad for the safe arrival of quilts and You but so sad for your freezer story.

Theresa

loisflan thanked nannykins
  • geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    23 days ago

Lois, You and your hubby are young'uns. My Geezer will be 89 in July......I'll be 84 in Sept. We just had our 65th wedding anniversary in March. When I had covid so bad, we would fist bump instead of kiss before he went to bed. We're up to shaking hands now with a few hugs throughout the day. lol I think Theresa has us beat though.

loisflan thanked geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
  • loisflan
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Sharon, you are a night owl like me. Sixty-five years! Wow! Congratulations. I have a cumulative 38 years of married life, but it took me three husbands to get there. I’m better at choosing fabric than I am at choosing men, so it seems. The current one is a keeper though.

• nannykins
    23 days ago

Another night owl here!

Yes, Sharon, we have you beat!

i will be 91 in two weeks, DH is 93 and come June, we will have been married 70 years.

Theresa

• loisflan
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Wow, Theresa, I hope I can be as productive in ten years as you are. And 70 years!! Congratulations on choosing well and working hard at it.

• nannykins
    22 days ago

I keep saying I am going to heaven! It has been a challenge at times.

Theresa

• loisflan
    Original Author
    21 days ago

I think heaven might be full of long-suffering wives.

• nannykins
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

I wonder who our patron saint is!!!

I just googled and it is Saint Monica!

Theresa

• Char
    13 days ago

Glad you and your quilts made it safe! Bummer about your freezer, though.

I never trust US mail for sending something as precious as a quilt. If I cannot hand deliver, I always sent FedEx with tracking/delivery confirmation. Still, it's a highly stressful process when you can't hand the recipient the quilt.

char

• nannykins
    13 days ago

I hope the freezer has all been cleaned out. Were there any bad odors to deal with? .

And are you back at the machine yet? piecing or quilting?

Yard work all taken care of?

I keep looking out and seeing all sorts of cleanup for me to do, and the weather is beautiful. However, until this foot heals, all I can do is look. Or clean up the sewing tables!

Theresa

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Theresa, my husband and I moved the freezer out of the garage, and then he power-washed it. It came out amazingly clean and odor free. He pushed it back into its place, and now he’s busy filling it up again. 🤪

I did get the gardens all cleaned, fertilized and mulched before a day-long, much needed rain yesterday.

I have been working on assembling my star blocks in the evenings, but I haven’t gotten back to the longarm yet. That’s a daytime task, and my days have been too busy. I am heading up to my discount fabric store today. I need some backing yardage and some Sunbrella fabric to cover our screen porch chair cushions.

I hope your foot heals quickly. It’s so frustrating when the mind is willing, but the body won’t cooperate.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living