Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michal_ricca

Color around front door.

Michal Ricca
29 days ago

Help!

We tried to match the yellow and clearly it didn't work! Yellow is so hard to match and we don't feel like painting all of the shutters and trim. Paint part of the trim around door white? All white?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    29 days ago

We tried to match the yellow and clearly it didn't work!

Even if you had the original color, it's unlikely a fresh coat would match the older application.

Perfect excuse to choose a fun color instead.

Like choose a darker version of the body color. Or go bolder and do a coordinating, purple, red, orange.

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

I might consider painting the smaller surround section a different color…match the door or add a new accent color?…or white?

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

Or even the siding color?

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

The reason being it looks too big ..proportionately…if all the same color

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    29 days ago

Yeah, I see that too. Wonder if you took the body/siding color and just went a couple shades darker. I'd order a spray can of whatever color ends up around the door and change the bright white storm door too. myperfectcolor.com does custom spray cans in any color. I'd get two cans.

• Maureen
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Suggest white for the entire trim and a welcoming color for storm and front door to draw the eye. If interested, I’d remove the two large cedars and add planters on the stoop. Consider at some point removing the bushes between the cedars to soften/layer/add interest.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago

I do not see shutters and I would not do them either . As for the trim I have no idea whay you wanted yellow and not sure what yellow you were trying to copy. I would redo the window trim in white and door frame in acolor you choose for the new front door and get a much nice front door then add the color there . I think you should be palnning some kind od cover over that door so maybe think about a bit of cahnge for the whole frsmework around the door to add a portico for protection for guests and aslo to protect whatever you choose for a door. To mee the door frame is too ornate for the house .I do agree about planters to replace those trees which are planted way too close to the house and really do nothing to enhance the home. Why do you need a storm door ? I use steel doors in cold climates and if you like to have to screen get a Phantom screeen so the nice front door shows.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

The storm door frame needs to be the same color as the door behind it.

• apple_pie_order
    29 days ago

Here is a beautiful colonial green house with darker green around the front door: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/first-snow--633387424605530/

• ArchitecturalDetails .
    29 days ago

IMO the area could benefit by replacing the modern steel screen/storm door with a vintage wood door with replacement glass/screens.

Where are the grids on the windows. They appear foreign to this home.

Take out the overgrown evergreens and come up with a new landscaping plan for the front of your home.

https://www.vintagedoors.com/tscreenstorm.html

• Michal Ricca
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Wow - thank you so very much everyone!