Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_liebman

help on wood floor issues

Audrey Liebman
15 days ago

My floor guy used bona natural followed by bona hd traffic satin finish. I didn’t want the satin finish I wanted matte plus it turned my older oak floor yellowish. I had him sand down everything and now that older oak floor still looks yellowish and the new white oak floor looks pinkish in many spots. Has all the stain been sanded off if it’s pink in one room and yellow ish still in another room. I thought sanding would bring it back to the original state. Please advise as he is coming back tomorrow to restain in the bona clear followed by bona raw ultra matte.

Comments (8)

• Audrey Liebman
    Original Author
    15 days ago

I can understand it in the old floor still being yellow but the brand new light oak in the kitchen with the natural plus satin finish and then sanded off-the wood now has a pinkish tone to it. Is there any way to get the pink out? Or does he have to sand it more?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    15 days ago

Possibily needs more sanding. i dont see the pink on my screen.

• Timothy Winzell
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Newly finished White Oak can have a slightly rosy tone that will soften with time. G&S gave you good advice.

To elaborate a bit on what he wrote, Natural and NaturalSeal are two completely different things. Using Natural will result in a more golden look on the older and newer White Oak. Using NaturalSeal will result in more of a raw wood tone on both but might slightly accentuate rosiness on newer wood. People in the industry use "natural" to describe a floor sealer with clear sealer, while customers can use the same term to describe a raw wood look.

I see NOTHING in your pictures to indicate that the older floor wasn't sanded enough.

• Audrey Liebman
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Problem was resolved. We wound up redoing the floors with country white stain and then the bona RAW ultra matte and now both rooms have a pretty similar color. The older wood in the living room was turning very yellow and orange using the natural and clear finishes. You were right though on the sanding. Any further sanding would have damaged the wood. The floor was just old and the color had changed over time.

• Timothy Winzell
    14 days ago

Not to be pedantic, but for anyone reading this in the future for research, the finish is Bona Traffic HD RAW, which is a raw wood looks surface finish. It Is applied over a Bona sealer or a stain and doesn't affect the color any differently than other Bona Traffic options. I believe it took the place of Bona Naturale, possibly to eliminate any confusion between it and Natural or NaturalSeal, and bringing it into the Traffic finish lineup.

Glad you got you issues resolved satisfactorily!

• Audrey Liebman
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Well woke up this morning and the wood feels rough this morning instead of smooth. He’s coming back to do a third coat of the Traffic HD Raw. Does the raw finish actually make the wood feel rough or was this due to the application?

• Timothy Winzell
    12 days ago

In my experience it has a little more surface texture due to the way the surface dries to diffuse the light hitting it. Your finisher should be able to discern whether it's the finish or the application. On my biggest job of Naturale, subsequent wall prep and painting caused the finish to have dust marks that couldn't be cleaned off so we coated it with Traffic Matte.