Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_johnson_mcbee

Avoiding white countertops

We are renovating our kitchen. We wanted our new kitchen to be clean and full of light, so we added additional windows and lighting to our kitchen. Our cabinets colors are white with a sage green island. Our entire home has a hand carved hardwood with a reddish brown tint, so we chose a 24x48 porcelain floor tile that works well with our hardwood floors. The tile also provides the right amount of light and color. Although white countertops would be a safe choice, I wanted a countertop that showed less dirt. I am looking for an alternative color that would keep the kitchen looking clean and bright, work well with the cabinet colors, and especially work with the porcelain tile we have chosen. The floor tile is pictured below.

Comments (15)

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

Can you show pics of the room, carved wood, sage that you have picked? The floor looks pretty modern. Are you cabinets modern too. Based on the little info we have I'm inclined to say a grey solid surface or soapstone.

• Lynn Johnson-McBee
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you for the replies. First, allow me to correct my previous statement. I want my countertops to be clean, I don't need to be chasing after every speck. I would drive myself crazy. As for my cabinet style, I have chosen all wood with a shaker door style. As for the floor choice, I chose this particular flooring because it complements the hardwood that currently runs thru my home. I will post cabinet color samples and hardwood soon.

• freedomplace1
    12 days ago

In the dilemma description, you said your cabinets are white - and in above comment you say they are wood?

This space likely has nothing to do with your kitchen, but is a nice pic I found this morning. Boerum Hill, Brooklyn. I resided in Boerum Hill, briefly. Loved it there.

Boerum Hill · More Info

So, back to your kitchen... are the cabinets white or wood?

• freedomplace1
    12 days ago

I have no idea what color your cabinets are - .whether they be wood or white.

But I would suggest putting the movement on the countertops instead of the floor, in either case.. And possibly do an LVP or wood on the floor - something that complements your other flooring. Doesn’t have to necessarily be a perfect match.

• H202
    12 days ago

I am a lazy cleaner - I am not one of thise people who does a full kitchen counter wipe down every meal. I have had white counters, and I have had a lot of dark swirly granite counters that I inherited where you cannot see any dirt. The white ones are MUCH easier to keep clean. It takes two seconds to wipe the one dirty spot. Versus dark counters where it takes two minutes to eye it from different angles hoping you found everything, or worse, five minutes to wipe it all down. White is a lazy cleaner’s dream, imo.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

I would do the floors the same as the rest of the house .Every single thing in akitchen gets dirty no matter what color it is so for me I like to see the dirt I have high gloss white cabinets mixed with stainless ones and a really plain black counter all show dirt and mess and are easy to clean. I have no idea what to suggest for a counter with that tile. Maybe the best would be butcher block in the same color as the rest of the wood floors if you insist on that flooring.You say your cabinets are white and sage wood counters would look great. Do you meanyouare having wood cabinets painted or do you mean they are wood I am confused.

• shirlpp
    12 days ago

Do you have any pics that you can share other than the lone tile.

• Lynn Johnson-McBee
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thanks to everyone that took the time to comment. My attempt to make my needs and wants clear has obviously failed, so I will be as straight forward as possible. I do like white countertops; however, both the tile designer and the cabinet designer cautioned me against white. You will notice a white countertop in the pic of my original palette.

1. I love the hand carved hardwood floors that flow thru my home, except for the kitchen and bathrooms. My floors are no longer available, so I found a tile that works well with my wooden floors
    2. My goal is to create a space with more light; as a result, I pulled up the old darker stone look tile, added windows and additional lighting. I have worked in a dark kitchen for 25 years, and it is time for a change.
    3. I discovered that placing two different wood styles or colors together does not appeal to me. I certainly considered this in the beginning.

I hope the following pics will solicit a few suggestions to my initial question. What other counter top color will work with my kitchen palette besides white?

Thanks again for your assistance.

• Lynn Johnson-McBee
    Original Author
    11 days ago

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

"both the tile designer and the cabinet designer cautioned me against white. You will notice a white........

A less cold/icy white on the cabinets would solve the issue.

Or look at Dupont Corian in their whites

You need plain, since you are committed to the flooring and if the "designer" said no white? Have her help you with a selection. The issue? Below the cabinet white.

Also electricity, no matter the tops.. Night is night : )

Even a pale warm gray will show "the grime of use" but will probably work with the floor. If the designer won't help you select, what is she there for? MSI MERIDIAN GRAY

• AnnKH
    11 days ago

I'm concerned about your cabinet layout. You only have 33" from the outside counter to the island - that is not a comfortable aisle width.

I had 2 angled upper cabinets in my old kitchen, and they were black holes. Easy-reach cabinets are far superior. Why even have a corner cabinet on the right side of the range, when you could let those cabinets die into the wall?

What is your plan for all the narrow uppers? If your layout is to scale, you have uppers only 9" wide (and that's outside width). I found 12" uppers to be next to useless.

I notice one set of base cabinets shows ROTS. Drawers are much better, and all your base cabinets should be drawers unless you have a specific reason not to.

As for the counters: our last kitchen had busy quartz counters, and DH could never see if the counters needed to be wiped down or not. That's fine from across the room, I guess; not so great when you're the next person to run your hand over that sticky or crusty gunk hidden on the surface. Our current counter, just a 30-year-old beige laminate, is far easier to keep clean, because even hubby can see spills and crumbs.

• Mrs. S
    10 days ago

What an exciting time! I love the colors you are choosing.... but..... if you have any doubts at all about that floor tile.... I would like to help you visualize that strong pattern all over your floor.

Please, lay it out and look at many multiple tiles together, because although the individual tile is really pretty, it is going to look very busy when all laid out. There have been a couple of threads where people chose tiles like this and it didn't give them the effect they imagined at all. I'll see if I can find those threads.

But, on the other hand, if you love it, you love it! And that's important.

• la_la Girl
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Congrats on the reno!

agree with Mrs. S - the floor is going be super bossy in that space - I wonder about a simple/classic charcoal slate tile, which will give you so many options for countertops? there is something to be said for having the flooring recede and support the other elements in the room

but if you are sure & love it, then just ignore me :)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 days ago

If you don’t want to see dirt you need a small pattern granite that has a few colors in it.