Shop Products
dknj_67

Fence black aluminum ornamental and chain link combo

We are planning to get a combo of femcing black aluminum ornamental facing front and chain link around back. Looking for thoughts on the black aluminum panels, 48 inch to match chainlink size has slats to ground that may interfere with weed walking. 54 goes 6 inch higher then chain link, does that look funny or is it more secure, or could go with 48 inch 2 rail. We like the look of the 48 inches 3 rail the most, but weed wacking a concern and we don't have a pool or plans to get one, its not up to pool code because distance between top and bottom rails. Any thoughts?

• last month

• last month

If you have a pool, or get a pool, isn't your primary concern protecting children AND installing a fence that's up to code for your own liability purposes? Would your homeowners insurance even insure you if you have a pool with no fence that's up to code?

• last month

My second thought is that I think aesthetics depends on where you live (neighborhood) and perhaps wildlife.

Where I live, snakes and coyotes (that will kill small animals and possibly kids) are a huge concern, so open fences like that are problematic (as would be 4' fences).

As far as weed whacking goes, I'm trying to imagine a type of fence where weed whacking would NOT hurt the fence, and possibly a concrete wall might be indicated? Or at least a concrete short wall with wrought iron on top.

Alternatively, perhaps improve your landscaping sothat the grass doesn't sit right up next to the fence. Maybe you need a planting bed with mulch under the fence so you don't have to weed-whack right up to the fence.

Finally, where I live 5-6' fences are so much the norm, that it looks absolutely normal to my eyes. And the 4' fence looks abnormally short. Perhaps that is just what I am accustomed to seeing, but in your case, you ought to know the local code requirements, and your odds of having a pool in your yard, along with your insurance requirements, and decide accordingly.

• last month

we don't have a pool or plans to get one

IMO chain link belongs around commercial storage places and not for backyards but I need pics and of your house and lot . As for the height I need to see the house and weed whaking will wreck that fence in no time So plan on some gravel or conrete areas on eith side of that fence and planting beds with lots of trees to cover that ugly backyard fencing . I dind those vertical bars in a fence often look like prison bars but I need to see the house.

The two fences are obviously different so I see no reason to try to exactly match the height. The version with the straight bottom rail would be easier to maintain.

I'm not in favor of either of your two choices. Certainly not chain link in a residential application. I'd opt for more privacy.

In addition, I would NOT have grass growing to the fence. There should be a planting bed in front of the fence so weed wacking isn't an issue.

• last month

Tried several times to load pics but its not letting me.

• last month

We fenced our yard when we acquired a dog. (A terrier rescue, so an electric fence was not an option!). Because we live in a heavily wooded neighborhood, we chose to do the front and sides in the aluminum fence and the back, buried in trees, in chain link. We included a double gate for access for lawn mowing and tree pruning trucks, as necessary, off our driveway. And curved top ornamental gates on the sides near our neighbors. I have large mulched planting beds along my front and side fence lines. And I hand clip the edges…because I love doing it! Our yard was fenced for our dog, not a future pool. If the next owners want to build a pool, that fence is for them to build to code. Good luck with your project!

• last month

ptreckel this sounds like very similar to what we did. We also buried the fence among th e trees and installed several oversize gates to get equipment in and out.

Ellie31, pics you want to load must be jpeg format or Houzz doesn’t allow the photo to load. You might have captured something on the internet that is a pic in a different format. Check the “Properties” of your photo, and if it’s not a jpeg convert it to that format

• last month

We also live in a wooded area and some uneven grade on the sides and back require almost 500 feet of fence. The front is another hundred. Our primary concern is to deter/prevent anyone (kids) from accidentally falling over a slope hill. I think the aluminum and chain link combo is economically good to cover 600 foot. Here is a section that hasn't been seeded yet to give a view. I'm still not sure if front and side height should match up.

• last month

• last month

Yours looks like a good choice for a chain link in the back. It will disappear against that wooded area. And I would create large beds for ornamental trees, shrubs in front of it. In the winter, we lose foliage (your location?), and that is the only time we OR or neighbors even see portions of the clf. In the summer, it totally disappears. Forsythia, fir trees, hydrangea, rhododendron, holly…. You name it, we have it! Plus…ferns, astilbe, hosta, etc. Depending on the side exposure to your neighbors, you might price out aluminum for the sides as well as the front portions that face the street. It is more “friendly” as a fence. It won’t ensure privacy unless you plant shrubs and trees in front of it, but…it looks better. After we fenced our back yard, other neighbors have asked to see our fence and have installed them. But, as I said, we have aluminum on the front and sides, clf in the back.

• 28 days ago

You asked, should the fences line up at the corners and be the same height. Yes. It makes sense and will look best.

• 28 days ago

Keep the fences at the same height. The more decorative fence you can leave as is; the other typical one, plant evergreen climbers. The quickest result is planting euonymus. There are many varieties and you can mix and match. I have different varieties on my pool fence. Give it three years and you will have a gorgeous surround to your property.

https://gardenerspath.com/plants/ornamentals/best-euonymus-types/

• 26 days ago

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far , makes a lot of sense. I think coming off back corner of house is a good option but am also considering on the other side of this window before AC compressor. Would it be silly to not start on a corner. This is where the aluminum panels would start.

• 26 days ago

• 26 days ago

Where to start might depend on both the property line and also how you'd use the yard.

I always have the urge to capture as much yard as possible in the back/sides, for eventual use by kids/dogs, unless you have a specific purpose for the side yard, such as possible RV storage, or a garden you wouldn't want the kids/dogs playing in... Think about how you want to use the yard. Do you maybe have a side door to your house and you'd prefer that it led straight to a fenced backyard? Where's the kitchen window? Maybe you want to be able to see where kids are hanging out from the kitchen window. I enjoyed having our trampoline in view from the kitchen window.

Where are your trash cans kept? Do you need those in a double-fenced area that could be planned now?

Perhaps, with such a big space, the cost of the fence comes into play. Think also about pathways you'd want to create to the gates, and for access to anything, like trash area, dog area, etc..

• 13 days ago

cans and generator on the opposite side of the house. The urge to capture more flat side yard was part interest and the garden hose bib access within fence were my main reasons. A couple places recommended for aesthetics to instead start at the corner . Trying to finalize that decision this week!