Software
Houzz Logo Print
shoebaroff

I need help. Overwhelmed after a flood

2 years ago

Hi
We are trying to spruce up our unit after having the garage and entry damaged in a flood. It made us take a look at what we have and what can be improved on a budget. We are already paying out a lot for rebuilding the garage level of our town house so cost effective ideas are best.
Our stereo console has been removed and now I am a loss as to what to replace it with. I was thinking of painting the fireplace wall a dark navy and adding a mantel. Would that be too busy ?
Should I do a large piece or minimal? I don’t want to crowd the room but I don’t want a confusion of focal points.i also don’t want to throw money around

Comments (17)

  • 2 years ago

    Now

  • 2 years ago

    Couple questions….Was the stereo console damaged or why was that removed?

    Can you take a few more pictures with better light like that last photo?

  • 2 years ago

    The stereo cabinet was sagging in the middle of the unit. It was old and came withe the place

  • 2 years ago

    Ignore the mess. I was doing a zoom workout

  • 2 years ago

    I love your rug. I would move the TV to wall where you had the stereo unit. Hang a console under it. Don't paint the FP wall. Get a great piece of art about the size of the fire box for there. The TV is too high where you have it over the FP.




  • 2 years ago

    We are so sorry for flooding! Take it slow. Love the suggestion to move the tv and add a floating console.You have a great space, nice furnishings. Don't rush.

  • 2 years ago

    I like the previous idea if that works with your TV connection. Nice space!

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Place the TV and floating shelf to the left of the fireplace. This will allow you to install a much larger TV screen in the room.


    Install art over the fireplace.





  • 2 years ago

    Are these styles ok with my present furniture?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    IMO get the TV off the FP replace the cabinet beside the FP with a lower one and wall hang the TV there on an articulting arm if it needs to be adjusted for good viewing the middle of the TV screen at eye level when you are seated is the proper height . No matter what else you do that TV has to be movd .

  • 2 years ago

    @ShoeBaroff if you are asking if the consoles pictured go with your furniture the answer is yes

  • 2 years ago

    There are multiple outlets close to the floor. Is there a reason for a floating shelf style vs one with legs to the floor?

  • 2 years ago

    A floating console will give the illusion of more space in your room. I would suggest that if you do that you bury the tv wires in the drywall behind the shelf so that they are not visible. You could do a long thin console with legs, too. Beneath that you might place two upholstered cube ottomans that you could pull out, as needed, for addition seating. But a benefit of hanging the tv on that large wall is, as others have said, a larger tv! Go for it! And…good luck with your repairs. Sorry to hear of your flood.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I wouldn’t paint the fireplace navy, as it will break up the room visually and really not add anything, while a large piece of art will connect the room and be more dynamic.

    Whether you decide on a floating shelf or console, either won’t make a big difference, as long as the console doesn’t feel too heavy (don’t suggest a larger tv). My feeling is that a shelf may feel lost on the wall, while a console will help ground the room (plus you get storage). Tape out difference lengths and see what size is most appropriate and look for a style that doesn’t feel heavy. Suggest a wood tone that complements kitchen cabinetry, to help connect the two areas visually and to create a nice flow.




  • 2 years ago

    You are overwhelmed with furniture and knick knacks. Get rid of the vase, ottoman, metal bird, and the stuff that you have on your shelves. The posters suggestions for floating cabinets are to help offset the heaviness of the room and make it look more spacious. If you end up replacing the furniture, go with smaller furniture (not over-stuffed chairs and couches).

  • 2 years ago

    The shelf is leaving. I just haven’t taken it down yet. Rest of the furniture is staying for now. Small table could move once I get a console Getting estimates for moving the electronics.

  • 2 years ago

    Also I don’t think that some of these cabinets work. I have a deep Sony receiver and a large Bose subwoofer