Shop Products

Corner Pantry Help

Well after posting my 3D kitchen rendering, everyone is in agreement that I need to get rid of my corner pantry. Any advice on how to move things around to achieve this?

No one can tell you how to rearrange your house, without the rest of the house being posted. That isn't a simple change to make. But, YES, get rid of it. Corner pantries are horrible and interrupt workflow.

• last month

sq the corner and add uppers and lowers to fill the space.

• last month

I didn’t realize. I’ll post the entire floor plan.

• last month

Simple solution would be to square it off. Your pantry will be a little smaller but you get extra cabinet space, either an upper and lower or a full height pantry. Use a pocket door if you can.

• last month

Or this.

^^^^ either option above is an improvement. I do disagree about the pocket door as you will never shut it! The other advantage to a hinged door is you can do a jamb switch for the light since the room is windowless.

• last month

You didn't ask for help about this, but this is what happens on this forum: at least two toilets & one shower are next to a wall that has a common area on the other side (LR and DR). HIGHLY RECOMMEND you pay extra for between-wall sound dampening materials, or everyone in the common areas is going to hear everyone's bathroom business...

• last month

As I said on your other post. You might be able to shift around windows to get more on that back wall flanking the range, with your statement hood.

Gentry Phillips thanked anj_p
  • last month

Thank you all very much for your input!

• last month

Keep it as is but change the door to swing in. That is an awesome space to conveniently store so many things. Just make sure to have shelves deep enough for the larger countertop appliances you might use

• last month

I couldn't disagree more with Emily.

But it's your kitchen. If you want a door in the middle of your kitchen that makes it less functional and less attractive, that's your decision.

Unless you are planning for the apocalypse or you're a canner, I doubt you need that much pantry space. I have a literal broom closet for a pantry, cook from scratch most nights, and manage just fine. The space I gave you in my revision is still huge and solves a lot of other issues.

But I guess you also didn't tell us if you actually cook... If you don't it doesn't really matter if your kitchen is functional.

• last month

Is this a new build? not sure where you are in process but i’d want bed 2 bath on outer wall with a window and put pantry where bath is. then you can make the kitchen square with lots of options and no corner pantry interrupting cooking!

• last month

Definitely get rid of the corner pantry. Do either eams44’s second layout(no pocket door) or anj_p’s layout. It will still be plenty of pantry space.

• last month

I’m sticking up for the pocket door! A regular door inswing eats too much space and requires that you manage the door (close yourself into the pantry) in order to reach the shelves behind it. Eliminating the door allows you to see more than you might want to see - it’s not a butler’s pantry, it’s storage. You could do a cabinet façade that is really a door, but it hardly seems worth the bother let alone the cost. And you can choose lighting with a built in motion sensor that turns on whenever you enter, you don’t need old fashioned light switches that turn on when you physically open a door.

Where on earth did you get this plan?

IF THIS has not yet become a hole in the ground? Start over. If it has? Start over, please

The pantry is the very least of your issue! There is too much wrong to even list.

You have a tunnel of a living space, void of light.

You are taking traffic from a mud past a work area in the kitchen.

The entrance to your primary is through the mud, through a closet, and through a bathroom???

Just no. The entire thing is NO. SORRY, PLEASE do not build this. I have no clue where it came from, but save yourself, and don't build it.

• last month

The playroom is very far removed from the rest of the house. It sure what is going on with the entire floor plan but it doesn’t make sense… lots of doors, no direct way to get to bedrooms.

• 29 days ago

We always had a good size play room for our kids when they were growing up, but it was never near their bedrooms. Playing and sleeping are too completely different activities that should not be right next to each other.

People on these forums tend to complain when some plans have too many corners (jigs and jogs), but this is one of the very rare cases were you don't have enough! You need to off-set some of the mass of the house to make the layout function better, have better natural light and improve the exterior big box look.

I'd consider moving the sink and window to the center of this exterior wall so the window, sink, island, and dining table can all be aligned

I would add a sink in the island

The window above the sink seems small. I have a small 1,500 sqft home but the window above my sink is 8ft wide to let light into my kitchen and it's required.

The light from your window has to supply the natural light to the dining room, so carefully consider your options.

https://www.instagram.com/kbis_official/p/C6ro5xJu0Qg/?img_index=1

The other thing to point out in option one above is there are no inside corners- all the many corner solutions like lazy Susan’s etc waste some space, by having all straight runs you can maximize your storage.

• 28 days ago

Pull out pantries hold an amazing amount of stuff in a relatively slender footprint (12-15") that is easily accessible and visible. I'd take 1-2 of these over closet style pantry. Granted, they may not hold your crockpot but I personally don't see that as a pantry function.

Contemporary Kitchen Remodel Pantry Pull-outs · More Info

• 28 days ago

Is that a door connecting the garage/workshop to the master bedroom? Building codes may not permit that.

• 28 days ago

Yes it’s a Murphy door. We aren’t building within city limits.

• 28 days ago

It’s going to be my husbands “man cave”

• 28 days ago

Far out!

• 28 days ago

Playroom or media room = same thing!

Neither of those should really be right next to bedrooms, unless you don't have kids and rarely have guests.

• 28 days ago

Why?

• 28 days ago

Unless by "media room" you mean " meditation room," the noise will likely be a problem when it comes to sleeping schedules.

• 28 days ago

Corner pantries aren't always bad, but this one is -- you're right to look for alternatives. The problem is, It's plopped right in the middle of the work space, and it divides the kitchen in two. The door creates an obstacle, but -- yes -- you could hinge it towards the inside. I'd want a pegboard on that wall to the left of the pantry door, but it could go behind a door. This is all too bad because it's a nice, big pantry!

What I'd do with the pantry:

- Move the bathroom that "backs up to" the kitchen to the pantry's current spot ... this means you can have natural light in the bathroom, but it also means you'll have to finagle that bedroom closet.

- Then you can scoot the pantry closer to the coat closet. Your cabinets become a true "L", and the pantry is on the edge of your work space.

- Off-topic, but I'd take those cabinets to the ceiling. The space above the cabinets in the rendering looks dark and uninviting. Especially since your kitchen is open to the dining and living spaces, you want your cabinets to be RIGHT.

A completely different thought about the pantry:

How about flip-flopping the pantry and the laundry? As presented, you have to carry your groceries the length of the kitchen -- moving the pantry closer to the garage would be a win. Of course, that'd move the laundry away from the master. Perhaps eliminate that half-bath (financial savings + one less bath to clean and stock each week) -- and perhaps rework to open a second door into that upper-left corner bedroom (the favorite child bedroom) so that bath could serve the bedroom + work as a half-bath for the house.

My husband and I love every part of the house but thank you all for the opinions.

Have you considered that you're giving the best lighting to the bedrooms and are sandwiching your main living spaces in the middle, giving you only the natural lighting that typically exists in a condo or apartment? Natural light is a tremendously important part of any living space.

A couple tweaks -- not big changes -- I'd consider:

Flip-flop the mudroom with the half-bath /laundry space. It wouldn't take much finagling, and those two areas are roughly the same size. You'd get a couple positives from this switch: Your dryer would be placed on an exterior wall, which is cheaper to build and more fire-safe (yes, I harp on fire safety often, but -- as someone who's waked up to a fire -- I think it's tremendously important). It'd allow your half-bath to have natural light. It'd allow people to enter through the mudroom on the edge of the kitchen (not right into the heart of things) and skirt the kitchen activity. You really don't want people carrying laundry baskets through the kitchen's work area. Your master suite would be across the mudroom from the laundry, but that's only a couple steps more.

The bathroom shared by the two small front bedrooms is "split". People build these thinking they'll make it easier for the children to share -- in reality, it doesn't work. It just creates more doors for the kids to close, and it creates a more complex floorplan /more difficult-to-clean layout. This bathroom could be improved by going with a classic three-piece, all-the-water-in-one-wall design -- similar to the one nearer the kitchen.

Consider that the bathrooms have no storage space (all the vanities are quite small) and no space for a hamper. This will matter as the kids age; no storage = cluttered countertops. Think through where towels will hang in each bathroom. The master bath doesn't have great storage, but it has the advantage of a good-sized clothing closet, so that works out.

At this point, ALL your bathrooms are lacking natural light. You could add Solar Tubes to bring in some light -- not the same as having a window, but better than being in the dark.

Again, fire safety. The kids' bedrooms are all quite far from an exterior door. In case of fire, they'd have to traverse the media room + the living room. I'd consider adding an exterior door to the media room.

The media room can become a loud place. The two bedrooms on the front of the house have the closets as acoustical buffers, but the upper-left bedroom has no such buffer. I'd consider adding a media-room closet on that wall. Not only would it make the favorite child's bedroom quieter, it would provide storage for video games, board games and other things you'd use in the media room.

I'd like to see a small broom closet somewhere central in the house. Perhaps steal 2' from the corner of the master closet -- closet corners are always difficult anyway, so it wouldn't be a sacrifice.

Consider bringing large furniture (or someday a replacement tub) into the master bedroom through that small hallway indentation -- think about making the turn. Of course, you also have a direct door to the garage and could bring things in that way -- though that door's kinda odd, and I agree with another poster that it may not pass inspection.

And you can choose lighting with a built in motion sensor that turns on whenever you enter, you don’t need old fashioned light switches that turn on when you physically open a door.

I have a motion-sensored light in my pantry /laundry, and it's the best thing ever! Yes, I do have a physical light-switch (not sure how that's old-fashioned), but I don't use it. A motion-sensored light would also be a great addition to the mudroom, given that it's a place you walk in with your hands full.

A larger window over the sink is a very good idea. I like that picture above where the whole wall is a window.
    Pull out pantries hold an amazing amount of stuff in a relatively slender footprint (12-15") that is easily accessible and visible.

Pull-out pantries are grossly inferior to walk-in pantries. They cost significantly more to build, and you can't see everything at once. Things on the shelves can move as they're pulled in and out, and large items won't always fit on the shelves.

I had to look up "murphy door". Opening a bookcase door into a pantry, which'll be used constantly might not be the best idea, and I don't see how such a thing could fit into that kitchen corner. Things on the shelves will shift.

This seems more like a door that'd work best in a spot that's used less frequently.

Building permits exist outside the city limits.

Look at your doors in the master and ask yourself where you'll place the bed and nightstands.

• 28 days ago

Why no media room next to bedrooms ...

By media room I am assuming a large TV and surround sound. Maybe even some gaming.

Do you really want to stay up late watching some R rated movie with loud surround sound while your children try to sleep in the rooms right next to it? How about your mother-in-law trying to get to sleep early? Do you plan to be muting every scene with mature/adult sounds, yelling/swearing, explosions or loud action music?

You want to watch the football game with surround sound and your kid need to study or your guest wants to take a nap. You won't be happy you have to lower the volume and they will be annoyed because they can still hear it!