Software
Houzz Logo Print
andyscott3

Pink Drift or Coral Drift - which one is more floriferous?

2 years ago

Looking for a low growing real rose carpet (am not considering Flower Carpet roses), and would like to choose one of the above Drifts. I'm in Northern California 10a. Would appreciate all opinions/comments.

Comments (8)

  • 2 years ago

    For me, the Coral Drift are reliable rebloomers and among my go-to roses to fill in a space. I think they're a more intriguing color than Pink Drift with more substantial blooms, but I haven't had as much experience with Pink Drift. Also I'm in a cold zone so it's not entirely compatible with advice for zone 10.

    Cynthia

  • 2 years ago

    Hi Diane, thank you so much for telling me about HMF (I Googled HMF and assume it stands for Help Me Find). I didn't know there are ratings on HMF.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Take a look at Sweet Drift, Andy. It really spreads. Can easily get 3' across. The basal branches and strong primary laterials come out from the crown at about 35° angle from the vertical. They the secondary laterals are more vertical, making for a full, but low ground hugging bush. Sweet Drift likes to bloom. It blooms a lot. The flower is very petal packed.

    Sweet Drift's white sport, White Drift is its white counterpart in all aspects. Both Sweet and White Drift have good foliage, but a more powdery mildew susceptible than the foliage of Apricot Drift (my favorite among the Drift series... 's praises of it are well deserved), whose glossy foliage is pretty much bullet proof. Apricot Drift is great, I have 7 of them. They do grow more upright, bushy in habit. Whereas Sweet and White Drift are a bit shorter and definitely more spreading.

    All the other Drifts seem to lack flower appeal to me, except for Popcorn Drift, which is a slow poke in all regards except bloom life on the bush....which is incredibly long for a small bloomed rose.

    I have never grown Coral Drift, but I do like it next in line after Sweet Drift and Apricot Drift. Coral Drift's full open bloom with the stamens showing is unappealing to me.

    Moses

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks, Moses! Will definitely take a look at Sweet Drift. I've realized I have room for two Drift roses (or similar). Yesterday, on an impulse I bought this ground cover called Itsy Bitsy Peach, grown by Monrovia. It has a ton of flowers, at least right now, much more than I have seen on any ground cover roses. https://www.monrovia.com/itsy-bitsyr-peach-miniature-rose.html


    Anyway, for the second one I'll decide between Sweet Drift, Coral Drift, and Apricot Drift. I am about 45 minutes driving distance from Regan Nursery in Fremont Ca, that seems to be the only place that carries Drift Roses. When I was there about a week ago, only 2-3 colors were blooming. Blushing Drift, Pink Drift, and I think Coral. Will have to visit them again in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I get a chance.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    My advice is to study them real good, Andy. Make sure you like the bloom type and color of each Drift before you buy. Each one has a different growth habit, flower type, color, etc.....they are all not just color differences from one to the other. I have only had Sweet Drift, Apricot Drift, White Drift (Sweet Drift' white clone), and Popcorn Drift. My favorite is Apricot Drift for it's more rounded bushy form...not really spreading (like Sweet Drift does), shiny foliage and heavy petaled bloom.

    Moses

  • 2 years ago

    For those interested, I really like pink and red drift. They are different to the other That have been mentioned. Pink is a single Spreading habit. Round rounded. Single With no fragrance. Can get big Has a bit of dye back here but only in extreme cold and wind. Red has no fragrant but a fuller flower form also spreading. Does not flower as often as the pink which isSeeming seemingly always in bloom. I like them both and have them in a bed with polyanthus

  • 2 years ago

    My priority is for a variety always in bloom, and one that stays fairly low and doesn't spread as much. The Itsy Bitsy Peach (Monrovia) that I got seems to be that way. I really need to see several other colors (from the ones mentioned by all of you above) in bloom, right now it seems like only the White and the Blushing Drift is in bloom at Regan Nursery in Fremont.