Software
Houzz Logo Print
sanchita_barman

DA Roses in zone 9B, Ca

2 years ago

How does your DA roses fare in zone 9B, Ca? Which ones would you recommend?
I have Teasing Georgia, Poet’s Wife and LOS which has been quite promising in their first year. They were able the survive and flower considerably given the heat, spider mites and unintended long periods of neglect.
Which ones are doing well in your garden? Do you have any care tips for me?

I feel that I’m asking too many questions. But it’s a bit overwhelming for a newbie. And while I can google stuff, it’s always best to know others experiences . And I have been collecting ideas and tips from anywhere I can :)

Comments (7)

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks Ben!
    Hey since I have you here and your roses ( from the videos you uploaded) are pretty much my database for potential roses- I have a few questions for you:

    1. Alchemist, 2) Thierry Marx and 3) Golden Opportunity- how much sun do these roses receive in your garden? My Golden Opportunity succumbed to spider mites after flowering once. Do you have any update for that plant? - I saw the last video you had posted about it.
  • 2 years ago

    I'm glad you're asking questions. I wonder why you have a spider mite problem. Do you spray insecticide? I once did that and spider mites resulted. The good bugs eat spider mites.

  • 2 years ago

    I'm in zone 10A and agree with Ben. Bolero is amazing here. Boscobel blooms a lot for me and so does spirit of freedom and sombriul.

    After two years a finally got my first jude the obscure bloom and she was magnificent.


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I’m in Central Texas, zone 9a. Its hot and humid here.

    My best David Austin roses are Boscobel, Lady of Shallot, Roald Dahl and Darcy Bussel which will continue to flower loose and small roses despite the heat. these are all facing SW and get a lot of sun.

    Gabriel Oak, Alnwick, Lady Gardener, Jude the Obscure, Eustacia Vye, Carding Mill, Queen of Sweden, Bathsheba, Wollerton Old Hall, WildEve, Lady Emma Hamilton, Olivia have not been blooming until the temperature drops more comfortably. Most of these get A LOT of sun facing either SW or W.

    My Munstead Wood is in a favorable location with morning light and afternoon shade and it also does very well.

    my most often blooming DA is Roald Dahl.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago



    This is Roald Dahl with soft little loose puffs of golden light almost all summer long

  • 5 months ago

    I'm in zone 10 coastal California Los Angeles county. I have a few Austins and dearly love them, but many did not thrive and probably need more watering. However, Golden Celebration is magnificent here - almost 20 years old and still pumps out tons of flowers!! I have the early Austin shrub-climber Leander and it's still going after 40 years! Inherited it from previous owner who ordered it from Hortico/Canada before English roses were available in USA nurseries. Molineux did well here, too. Tried ownroot Lady of Shalott twice but it failed to thrive. I loved the color and considering trying again but this time ordering direct from Austin website. I tried many of the earlier Austins and found those more compatible to my micro-climate. I wish these were still available. Does anyone know a source in USA?