Software
Houzz Logo Print
thomasgrant_macdonald

Please help me convert this shed to Airbnb

I just received approval for a lease on this property. The lease includes permission renovate this shed into a habitable unit and rent it out. I also want to build a deck in the back area (west of the shed), which slopes down to a creek, as well as a gravel pad to park a teardrop trailer on.


I am just renovating the 'shed' part - not the carport area. Here are some rough measurements:

  • Shed area exterior dimension: 143” x 240”
  • The door of the shed faces west.
  • Door is 8” from ne corner. Door is 49”x77”.
  • All windows are 36”x36”
  • South facing window at 82” from se corner.
  • West facing window is 56” from sw corner.
  • East facing window is 32” from se corner.
  • Interior Floor to ceiling height 109” at front, 81” at back

I'd like the shed to include a small bathroom and stackable washer/dryer. The kitchen will be an 'outdoor kitchen' built on a deck at the back of the unit.


I have a little bit of construction experience (used to work as a landscape architect) but I've never worked on a something like this.


What should I do first?












Comments (38)

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Do you have building code requirements in your location? Are permits required? You can draw out a scale layout with all dimensions including windows and doors. Water and sewer hookup or septic will be needed.

  • last year

    @Seabornman Well, it's my Dad's property, and he is going to allow me to rent a portion of it, and renovate the shed. But I don't think I can tear it down, that would be another conversation and I think he'd say no. I could potentially build somewhere else on the lot. But a major issue is that I hate to build something on someone else's property that I can't move. What do you think?

  • last year

    " But a major issue is that I hate to build something on someone else's property that I can't move. "


    It will cost you more money to make this inhabitable than to build new.

  • PRO
    last year

    You could rebuilt it cheaper. It just needs EVERYTHING in order to be safe and legally habitable. No one is going to rent dumpster chic, compete with holes and roaches.

  • last year

    Are you in a tourist/vacation area where AirB&Bs are hard to find?

  • last year

    That building was never meant to be habitable, like in living area. I would keep it for what it is intended, and if you must have an Air B&B, then build a new structure, that is meant to be lived in. Its fool hardy to even think about putting thousands of dollars into that old metal structure.

  • last year

    First, check Airbnb to see what rentals are in the area so you have an estimate of what you can charge for the unit you envision. Check to see how many nights the rentals in your area are booked each month so you know how much monthly income you can expect. Are you going to have water there? Also, get rid of the rats.

  • PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

    This is a troll account folks. Just click the upper right.

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Based on the comments so far, it seems that a complete renovation into an Airbnb is not recommended.

    What about just doing the following:

    • Replacing the floor
    • Adding insultation
    • Adding interior walls
    • Installing a window unit air conditioner
    • Replacing the front door
    • Installing a back door
    • Installing a small wood-burning stove
    • Building a deck at the back (I have most of the deck building supplies already)
    • Creating an outdoor kitchen and shower on the deck.



    In Texas, if I did most of the work myself, what would be a ballpark estimate/range of cost in time and money?

    As far as return on investment, I should note I am near a popular lake which should increase its attractiveness to potential guests. I'm pretty sure I could get at least $100 per night.

  • last year

    " What about just doing the following: "


    It will still be a shed with no chance of having the proper insurance or certificate of occupancy to rent out as a living space, even for a ARB&B.

  • last year

    What about an outdoor toilet. You can setup one of the portable units with a pit underneath. That and the outdoor shower and kitchen will kill rentability. To figure how much cash you'll need in materials start taking measurements and making lists.

  • last year

    @dan1888 That's not a bad idea, but I there's an existing septic tank on the property that I think I can connect to

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    Hey folks if you don't have a useful comment, if you're just a naysayer telling me how this can't be done, then this is not the thread for you. This thread is here for creative people finding ideas to make this work. If that's not you, then you're getting removed from the thread.

  • last year

    In Texas it’s about $100-$200 per square foot for new construction. I would have done the math to see how much the total cost would be for your shed, but you provide measurements in inches. I’m really doubting this is even a serious post; someone with a background in landscape architecture would not take building measurements in inches.

  • last year

    Mark when you measure a space, do you call it inches or feet???

  • last year

    Houses are built from the foundation up. It doesn't look like you have a proper foundation, so everything from the ground up has to be lifted so you can pour a proper foundation.

  • PRO
  • last year

    This thread is here for creative people finding ideas to make this work. If that's not you, then you're getting removed from the thread.


    How are you going to remove someone from this thread?

  • last year

    Offer this as a project to an intern at your local university architecture department.

  • PRO
    last year

    It doesn't need architecture. It needs demolition. As in, offer to the local fire department to burn it down for practice.

  • last year

    What does it mean to have a troll account on Houzz? Like, who trolls houzz? What is the benefit to the troll?


    Anyway, I look at this and think it will be more profitable to tear it down, buy a nice trailer, and turn it into a glamping kind of situation.

  • last year

    If you're still here OP, I have a plan. Install as many RV electrical posts as will fit on the property (catering to the vanning crowd), and convert the building to a "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" escape room. You won't have to do anything to the building and you could add a patio with string lights for the attendees. I'd stay there

  • last year
    last modified: last year

    I am very surprised to see so many people jump onto this thread and tell me it can't or shouldn't be done blah blah blah.

    I'm not going to engage with a bunch of naysayers. You guys just stand by and watch as I make it happen.

    I'll keep posting here on the progress of this build, I just want it to be super clear that if I listened to any of you, this wouldn't get done.

  • last year

  • PRO
    last year

    Add to my entities list the local Department of Natural Resources.

  • last year

    Yikes!

  • PRO
    last year

    So, how do you plan to get a foundation under it? Vapor seal under it? Insulate and vapor seal the rest? Meet the Energy Code requirement with the new windows? Manage the required heat? Safely? Get a new correctly sized septic installed on the land far enough away from the current field? Mound treatment?


    BTW, you are personally legally liable for creating a dangerous attractive nuisance and attempting to profit from that unsafe and unhealthy structure. The amount of money needed to make that structure into a code legal habitable dwelling? More than building a new house, designed to be actually pleasant to occupy. Fools rush in where angels know to tread not.

  • last year

    How about putting this project on your youtube channel, "Transforming a Tin shack into a $10 per night Airbnb!" You've already miss episode 1, "Cleaning out the shack and illegally burning household refuge" (and how I got away with it).

    To be fair I do have confidence you can create a series of youtube episodes from what I saw, and only need material people would find interesting. You could even compose the theme music for the series since you're a musician, and do you remember puppy dog puppy dog, I got to get up got to get up and make money money money.

  • PRO
    last year

    In all seriousness I would take the YouTube suggestion seriously, this project could be very lucrative for you.

  • PRO
    last year

    I think the AirB&B mention has really thrown people off…because the pictured shed doesn’t match people’s expectations. However, there are many vacation rental sites that specialize in tents, yurts, treehouses, etc and the above she’d certainly fits in well, or could, with work, with that category of rentals. Best of luck to you!

  • last year

    OP, what is going on in your area that will attract the kind of AirBnB customers who want to sleep in a shed?

  • last year

    I like the idea of a youtube series. We watch a youtube series called Cruising the Cut where the presenter first rehabbed a canal narrowboat then cruised the canals of England, and now is rehabbing a small cruiser. It’s quite informative. Especially when he cuts into something and reallizes the entire transom has to be replaced.

  • PRO
    last year

    I do not care for corrugated metal used as a finish material because it looks pretentious, but in this case it is down right authentic.

  • PRO
    last year

    Too complicated with info given to give a detailed plan but here's an idea for the exterior...



  • last year

    I don't know what your climate is like there, but if it gets cold enough to need a wood stove, then an outdoor kitchen and outdoor shower do not sound like good ideas.

  • PRO
    last year

    Here in Michigan I design a lot of lakefront homes with outdoor showers. I alway provide a shelf for the ice pick.

  • last year

    A leased property still belongs to the owner. You need very specific contract language in order to alter anything to the massive degree that that would need altering. In the end, you own none of the results of the several hundreds of thousands that it would take to make that attractive, safe, and comfortable. IE, demo and a new permitted weathertight LEGAL build with running water, waste disposal, and climate control.