Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_893322154

help! dilemmas of sliding/pocket door for bathroom

last year

Gutting our small 5x10ft bathroom to get a facelift- but because we are incorporating a stacked washer dryer in a corner diagonal to the door, the door can only open half way and not allow adequate ventilation .

Any suggestions for a quality sliding or pocket door that blocks noise with a tight seal?

Any cost associated with each type?

Is this a good idea or any alternatives?

thank you

Comments (34)

  • last year

    Pocket doors can be installed only if wall is "empty", meaning no electric, plumbing in the wall.

  • last year

    Thank you so much elcieg! If the wall is empty, is it expensive to install? And is it sound proof for a bathroom?

  • last year

    I found this article about how to save money on the install.

    https://www.remodelaholic.com/the-easy-way-to-install-a-pocket-door-frame-in-an-existing-wall/

    But you have certain ideas of what you want/need, so I couldn't even guess at the cost. $3,000 +?

    Hopefully, you will get more input here.

  • last year

    BTW, I have pocket doors for all my bathrooms. I did it so there would be no swing-in issues. Just a regular install, wood door...no issues here with sound, etc. Doors are quite tight when closed.

  • last year

    Thank you so much elcieg! Didn’t realize how much extra work and how expensive it is to do a pocket door. But it would be ideal. Seems like you have to take the whole dry wall down to insert the door? Correct?

    I may think about sliding door but it does not seem to be as good?

  • last year

    Thanks so much Millworkman. Are sliding doors the same? Elcieg kindly said they help with bathroom.

  • last year

    in terms of privacy, a sliding door would be worse than a pocket door in my opinion.

  • PRO
    last year

    I grew up with many pocket doors in our home and 2 for bathrooms never had an issune with noise . I do how woander whay a angled W/D in thta spaceso maybe post a to scale plan before deciding . Is this to be a full bath a/ Post theplan here to scale on graph paper all measurements clearly marked also the size of the W/D and is it actually in that space ? Post here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start another post

  • last year

    We have a m bath the same dimensions with a pocket door. I have no idea how you would fit stackable unless you only have a pedestal sink. Also, laundry is noisy so I don’t think this is a good idea since are only hard surfaces in a bath and nothing to absorb the sound.

  • last year

    " Are sliding doors the same? "


    Worse, honestly. The pocket door can be adjusted to fit tightly on the one side and the sliding door cannot even do that. Might work for @Elcieg but I think overall most will agree with me and some just see it as there only option and accept it.

  • last year

    Thank you very much Patricia. I will try to send a drawing. That’s a good idea to have angled placement.

  • last year

    Thank you Valinta. We got no choice unfortunately. That’s the only place available.

  • last year

    So true millworkman. Thank you very much! We may have no choice as wall may not be able to have pocket door. Do you or anyone know of a QUALITY sliding door?

  • PRO
    last year

    If the wall has to come out will suggest you build it back sith 2x6 studs instead of 2x4.

  • last year

    "Do you or anyone know of a QUALITY sliding door?"


    I assume you mean barn door type sliding door? No one makes one, they are a combination of parts. The door type comes from a millwork vendor to match your other doors. The frame will come from either the same or a hardware vendor. Natural gas and sounds effects by you.

  • last year

    Had an idea, if plausible…could you lose storage in the kitchen.


  • last year

    Can you change the door to outswing?

  • last year

    After doing a lot of research, this is what my son chose: Cavity slider

  • last year

    @Cathi Thomas, he stated


    " We may have no choice as wall may not be able to have pocket door "


    And a Cavity Slider IS a pocket door.

  • last year

    Can you swing the door outward instead of inward? I have a tight bathroom and changed the door swing and the room is so much more functional.


    I recently made a small laundry room in our apartment - all hard surfaces and tile floor. I spent a long time investigating different kind of noise dampening door sweeps. Decided to first get the new door hung and see how loud it is. Wow, such minimal sound bleed, it is great, I don't have to add any sound proofing and no door sweep. I purchased a really high quality solid door that fits well. The laundry room is off of my husband's office. I can run washer and dryer with the laundry room door closed while he is on zoom calls and you can't hear it at all.

  • last year

    I used pocket doors in two cottages for both bathroom doors and bedrooms (small spaces where eliminating door swings was a huge bonus).


    Our contractor used solid wood (clear maple) and quality hardware. I think the solid wood does a good job at sound control but there is a small gap at the bottom. People aren't hanging out right next to the doors so I don't worry about it.


    I don't see how a tight-sealing pocket door would work as the "seals" will constantly wear when moving back and forth.

  • last year

    I don’t think a pocket door will seal as quietly as a swing door, but I put 11 pocket doors in my house and I love them. I used heavy solid core doors. For the master bath door from the bedroom, I widened the wall beyond the pocket door space and added insulation (I built a second wall to insulate the empty space where the pocket door closes on the bedroom side) . I dont know if it helps with the noise since I live alone, but I’m still glad I did it. I thought the wall might look too wide but I dont notice it.

  • last year

    Thanks very much Norwood architect. Will be sure to do that if we do pocket door - but sounds like we may not able to do it:(

  • last year

    Thanks very much millworksman. Appreciate the advice and humor.

  • last year

    Good thought Maureen. Unfortunate we got no space in kitchen:(

  • last year

    Jackson2348 good idea! Thank you. We thought about it but it will block the window for the room outside the bathroom:(

  • last year

    Cathi Thomas thank you very much for the advice. Millworkman is right - that’s a pocket door. I was asking for a recommendation for a good sliding door?

  • last year

    Kendrah you are right. We thought about that. But - it blocks a window opening out :(

  • last year

    Thanks very much pennfire and Rockybird. Unfortunately we may not be able to put a pocket door:(

  • last year

    Patricia Colwell - thanks for asking - here is the drawing to the bathroom. Each square is 6 inches - bath tub to the left of door (across window); then toilet, then vanity and then the stacked washer dryer (24 inch wide and 26 inch deep). What do you think?

  • last year

    Labels on drawing are current set up- but need to add washer dryer.

  • last year

    Hi! I went through a similar situation and ended up installing a barn door myself to save some money. It worked great for my space, and you might want to consider it, especially since sliding doors don’t seem to be an option for your bathroom. Barn doors are easy to install, and you can find sliding hardware kits online. I found a great video on installing a barn door on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVm46XZvBE — Very Helpful!


    Now, soundproofing in a bathroom is a bit tricky. The real key is the infill of the door. If you go with a solid core door, it will help a lot with sound. But if you go with something lighter, like a hollow core, it won’t do much to block out noise. You can just skip it.


    Overall, for me, barn doors were a great option if you want something functional and stylish. Plus, installing it yourself saves you money that you can spend elsewhere!

  • last year

    Wondering if a pivot french door could be considered, and possibly would need only one door to open to enter the bath?