Software
Houzz Logo Print
betty71

Dining room help

13 years ago
We finally moved to our new home and I am looking for some help with the dining room and would appreciate any suggestions! I need paint color, window treatments, and accessories. Things are just put in and not arranged. I love blue and white and would like to use my blue and white china as well as my coral dresser/buffet for a bit of fun. I have ordered white slipcovers for the ugly green chairs. Please help!

Comments (82)

  • 13 years ago
    Lots of nice options suggested. Waiting to see what direction Betty goes in.
  • 13 years ago
    The fabric on the chairs is one I am obsessed with. It is a fab navy/white. Great idea on the dark upper wall! This room gets so much light during the day, I think it can definitely handle it.

    Should I take a fabric swatch to match the fabric? For the white lower walls, how should I choose the white? There are so many.

    Suggestions on what would look good placed on the buffet? Or as a centerpiece on the table?

    Thank you so much!! I was stuck and you gave me great ideas on how to move forward. Thank you, thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    I love the idea of the dark color in upper walls if room has enough light.
    How about a large white ( or the blue and white) ceramic pot with a plant in it as centerpiece?
    I think one of the previous photos posted showed something like that.
  • 13 years ago
    Check out BM white dove or Swiss coffee for the lower half.
  • 13 years ago
  • 13 years ago
    Coral sideboard, medium grey walls, antiqued gold mirror, white lampbase with black shades.

    http://www.astoriedstyle.com/index.php/2012/09/a-picture-to-ponder-nightstands-as-buffet/
  • 13 years ago
    Thought the chair fabric was black. I'd try to match it, just as long as it's a black-blue, rather than a blue navy.
  • 13 years ago
    Jen,
    Definitely black/blue. Maybe even kind of a gray undertone.
  • 13 years ago
    Another nice color...could work well with navy.
    http://houzz.com/photos/2757710
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love the idea of your blue china and what appears to be a coral buffet. So reiterating a previous comment bring the coral color into the interior of the china cabinet. If you can move the china cabinet to another room in your home that would be better. The china cabinet appears too low the scale is not looking right for this room
  • 13 years ago
    You are right about the china cabinet being low, but I wonder if it can be used if there is a collection of tall white and blue (and maybe coral added as well) pottery on top?
  • 13 years ago
    Betty, you obviously have a lot of class as I've just noticed you have my second-favorite gin, and the only vermouth I will use for my martinis on you stunning bar cart!
  • 13 years ago
    Jen, my favorite vermouth and Gin too. Gotta love a nice gin martini. The way they are meant to be made. That is my $15 flea market bar cart. One of my better finds.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi Betty, why don't you center the china cabinet on the wall. It would look more balanced that way instead of pushed up against the little wall.

    This may not be something you'd want to do but the china cabinet might look better if it were "antiqued" black. Since you're going with the Chinese theme, what do you think.? The wood doesn't give a good effect.
  • 13 years ago
    Yep! Stirred not shaken is my preference.

    I love it when you find a unique and inexpensive second-hand find! My husband and I have committed to never buy a new piece of furniture again (except for mattresses...used is just gross!).
  • 13 years ago
    I found a nice, super dark blue/black that I think will work (darker one on the left). Is this what you guys had in mind? I am thinking that flat paint will be the way to go. Any thoughts on what to use for a super dark wall color? I am afraid anything other than flat will reflect too much light?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I prefer the lighter shade. I had posted this colour earlier. I actually think you should go with a slight sheen in the paint. You do want light to reflect a bit or else it will look too dull.
  • 13 years ago
    Lydia, thanks! Are you thinking more an eggshell? This is why I come here. I have ideas but don't know enough to work out the details :)
  • 13 years ago
    In BM I usually use their matte finish.
    I like the one on left as well.
  • 13 years ago
    http://pinterest.com/pin/48835977181904556/

    I am a sucker for blue and white pottery, and that is what I use for my FP mantle display since FP is in my kitchen dining area.

    Look for some larger pieces to display on top of china cabinet or in china cabinet.
    A large platter on a plate easel also works.
    And for me almost every kind of flower (hydrangea and star gazer lilies are really fabulous) looks good in a Chinese happiness ginger jar ( look on bay).
    Here are two photos from my home. One is fireplace in Kitchen, other is dining room.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would look into either eggshell or satin. Your dining room will be very glam with a dark navy!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the one on the left! I think a matte would be great! Let the glam come out in the accents. I understand that flat now comes in a washable formula (not that I've washed a wall since the kids moved out!).

    I'm so excited that you are brave enough to make a bold statement. If you don't like it, sit down and have a martini and reconsider!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the pottery that Judy posted. The Asia themes work well with the Hollywood glam.
  • 13 years ago
    Judy M - I want to see more pics of your home! LOVE your fireplaces!
  • 13 years ago
    First step is paint! What do you think?
  • 13 years ago
    Those pics look dark.... I will get some in sunlight tomorrow
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Wow.....what an improvement! The colour looks great with the chair and the coral buffet. Will you be painting white below the chair rail?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Lydia. I think even the chandelier looks better lol. I do plan to do white under the rail. I am also waiting on white slipcovers for the green chairs. I think I found white curtains as well. I am hoping to have it pulled together soon.
  • 13 years ago
    Very sophisticated and glamorous! You can go more traditional or more Hollywood Regency or mix both with the accessories. Can't wait to see the cabinet with your mirror. You may need stronger table lamps or a change of lamp shades to keep up with the rest of the room!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think dark walls, they will allow your vintage gems to shine.
  • 13 years ago
    The dark walls look fabulous and it's already looking rather glamorous. I think some gold/brass lamps would add a little something extra. Check these out
    http://houzz.com/photos/1196348
    A little bit of gold leaf goes a very long way and this could also be an option for lamps etc.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! Cathieg are you suggesting I gold leaf the existing lamps or find new ones? I love the ones you posted. The current ones are vintage with a bamboo relief which ties into the buffet and bar cart. If I keep the existing ones and replace the shade, what shape/color should I look for?

    I am also trying to figure out the curtains. I know I like a crisp white, but should I go with a more traditional pinch pleat?

    Another thought was to find a pair of matching blue and white vases and put green palm fronds in it. I would put this on the buffet and I think it would be a nice way to add another color to the room (green). What do you think? And if I do, should I ditch the lamps? The only other light on the room is the chandelier (which needs a dimmer switch ASAP! Lol)
  • 13 years ago
    Betty, I found a photo of lamps similar to yours but in gold and I think they look great, plus, I would be inclined to reuse them if it was my dining room. I also think the shade style suits the lamps.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1502700
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Love, love the paint color. In your first px, there is a mirror beside the bar cart on the floor, where are you putting that, it's perfect for your room. If you are putting over the cart, I would suggest large oversized artwork over credenza something unexpected like an abstract. For drapery, I would suggest a faux silk and I think your current lamps would work if drapery were white. The coral candlestick is great.
  • 13 years ago
    Regarding the curtains, I would be inclined to use a soft fall curtaining, perhaps sheer or linen. I think you can use pinch pleating, for a more formal look, well with either if you choose.
    http://houzz.com/photos/140981
    Do you need any protection from the elements on the window though?
  • 13 years ago
    Even your chandelier looks so much better with new paint color, I think it works now. It may be the angle of px but it looks like it's a tall room, so if you are changing lamps on credenza, then I would change out to larger, beefier lamps and in brass; shop consignment, secondhand, antiques stores and eBay, Craigslist. Don't worry whether the shades are perfect, they can always be changed though I once bought a lamp in a consignment store just for the shade, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford that caliber of shade.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all so much! It really feels that I have a team of designers at my back! It is so neat that the community is really designing this room.

    I need to go get the white paint for the bottom half of the wall. I have two questions. Should I get a standard white or match it to the color white of the curtains I found? Also, the top half is matte (which I love) what sheen for the bottom? Eggshell maybe? The trim is a glossy white with a high shine factor.

    I have decided to keep the lamps but I am not sure if I want to gold leaf or not. What do you guys think?

    I propped the mirror up on the buffet to give you guys an idea of scale. I feel like I should spread the gold/glass around the room instead of clumping it all on the wall with the bar cart. If I do hang it there, how high should I place it in relation to the lamps? The ceilings are 9 feet tall if that helps.

    Over the bar cart, I was thinking a piece of art or a collage of the blue and white plates and platters. Thoughts or suggestions?

    I think sheers would be nice and I like the idea of a nice linen too. Should I ditch the blinds? I don't feel they are necessary really.

    I think the chandelier works now too. The shape and color feel right. It isn't my favorite but I will leave it unless I stumble upon something I LOVE.

    I am a HUGE vintage/antique fan! Most of the items in this room are vintage/consignment making it very budget friendly!

    Bar cart $15
    Mirror $30
    Buffet $100
    Lamps $12 (with shades!)
    White chairs $10 !!!!!
    Fabric on white chairs 3yds for $30 (remnant at designer fabric store)
    Bamboo motif glasses on bar car $10 for $8 (estate sale)
    White coral candlestick $4
  • 13 years ago
    Love the wall color. I feel the mirror is a bit small or the width of the buffet and the lamps too short.
    I would look for tall buffet lamps
    Or one lamp on one side and maybe a group of three blue and white pottery items or three of your white pottery pieces.
    Good for you being bold with the color.
  • 13 years ago
    Is there a photo of your windows?
  • 13 years ago
    Judy M, I spent a few minutes looking at the mirror/buffet combo and honestly I think the thing that is off, for me, is the gold with the coral. I will try it above the bar cart instead and see how that looks. Maybe a plate collage? I think I just need to mull it over.

    Here is a photo of the windows and the bar cart wall. Suggestions on the lower wall paint finish? Flat, eggshell, etc. the blue is matte and the trim is a shiny white
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'm not a fan of brass and your mirror is too small to put over the buffet. The pulls on the drawers seem to be bronze so I'm back to my first idea of bringing that finish in the room with a mirror. Or a white Baroque mirror would also be very glam. Your idea of a collage of plates is perfect for that small wall. I like your lamps.....don't change them.....the white looks great against the dark blue. I had posted these linen drapes and I still think they would look very nice. I don't think you should have a traditional pleat.......something like these would add a casual elegance. As for the white paint.......go with the same shade and finish as the trim so everything blends together to create flow in the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Love how this room is coming together and I can't believe what a deal you got on the bar cart!
  • 13 years ago
    In the inspiration photos above using the dark color on top, the lower portion wall and trim all appear to be the same color.

    I would choose matte or eggshell.

    It is hard to tell on my phone but are they wooden blinds on windows?
  • 13 years ago
    I'm stuck on window treatments because of the door, panels on the windows would interfere with door.
    Roman shades?
    This is nice but no door
    http://houzz.com/photos/140982
  • 13 years ago
    There isn't a door near the windows. It is a niche with a china cabinet in it. There are wooden blinds on the windows. They were there when we moved in and since I haven't decided on window treatments, I just left them for now.

    I haven't really decided what to do with the china cabinet yet. It is a family piece so I am saving that decision for last out of fear lol.
  • 13 years ago
    Pictures
  • 13 years ago
    Hmmm, I feel stuck on the windows I think because they are not trimmed with molding, but I would consider the previous photo I added.
  • 13 years ago
    Judy M you and I chose the same dining room photo for curtain choice! You know what they say about great minds...
  • 13 years ago
    You certainly are a great shopper, which means you will find the perfect pieces for your home. The mirror is definitely too small for over credenza, I like idea of plates. For bottom half of wall, I'd do eggshell. The dining room is looking great.