Software
Houzz Logo Print
adriana_pineda629

Bedroom Make over

13 years ago
I would appreciate if someone can give me any ideas to make my room somehow cozy? I am thinking of changing colors. Please advice

Comments (57)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just looked at the PB set. Great. Love how it is accented with the blue.

    No dust ruffle, though. Like your upholstered bed frame better.
  • 13 years ago
    another inspiration pic if you are considering the budget this could be a very nice option
    Guest Room Redesign · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    How about coral.
  • 13 years ago
    You could wallpaper the wall behind your bed and paint the other walls that pretty blue you already have there...or first pick out a wallpaper and paint the walls a co-ordinating colour. I did that in my bedroom and it made it nice and cozy. Or, you could paint the wall behind the bed a nice dark shade and the other 3 walls a lighter shade of the same colour. That works, too. Get a couple of lamps with white shades that glow for the night tables.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Not sure what you meant when you said you changed the bedding and got too tired...did you try something with a bold pattern and got tired of it? Given the colors you've already chosen, maybe you just like soft, neutral colors. So try working with what you have, using more subtly patterned designs. Paint the rest of the room that nice blue you have, as Oksanna suggested. I wouldn't recover the bed since it ties in with the curtains already. Use accent pillows on the bed with some of the blue and beige in them; not much expense and you can change them if you get bored with them without denting your budget. Even though your bed is a bit large, I think putting a pattern on the wall behind it would give your small room some zip. Something with a tone on tone geometric pattern would be good; it will NOT make your room feel smaller but rather will open it up. A repeat (repeating pattern) of around 8" tall would be noticeable but not too tiresome. If it were me, I'd use something that incorporated the beige and blue in a bigger pattern, but that might be too wild for you; two tones of blue might be better. Don't think I'd hang any art above the bed...the patterned paper will be enough. Your cross is way too small to put above the bed and I don't think adding molding around it as an accent would even help. Place it above your nightstand, just an inch or two below the top of your headboard and between the headboard and your light switches. While we're looking, the silver cross and the chrome lamps give you a bit of a theme...perhaps your accent pillows fabric could have some subtle silver threads. You also need a proper bedcover that comes over the sides of your bed, at least to the edge of your upholstered bed sides. You could find a duvet cover with a damask type pattern woven into the fabric so you get pattern but the fabric is all one color. How bout a cream to match your curtains? I mention a duvet cover because you can stuff it during the winter with whatever weight blanket or comforter you prefer and in the warmer months, take the down or synthetic blanket out of it and just use it as a light weight spread with a sheet.
    If you want more of a change and you're looking for cozy, paint the walls dark cream (like your headboard), switch the wallpaper behind the bed to an orange. Add orange curtains and orange-mixed throw pillows. If orange curtains are too daring, sew an orange stripe of one inch gross-grain ribbon down the edge of your existing curtains, in about three inches from the edge. Get new brass lamps (trust me...brass is coming back and you'll be way ahead of your friends) with cream shades. Pick your light bulbs carefully so you don't end up with green fluorescents. I would stick with the lighter cream bed cover mentioned previously. Don't discard the orange color idea out of hand...there are lots of oranges out there other than clear, bright orange which would overwhelm anyone. Whatever color you decide on, go to the paint store and bring home some of the little paint sample containers and see what you might like to live with. Have fun! Oh, forgot... If you decide to use a wallpaper with a similar color wall paint, pick out your paper first, then take it to the paint store to coordinate.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you so much!! I am so excited to start with the changes. I used to have this ikea bed cover which I loved but I got tired. I am afraid the same will happen if I get the pattern wallpaper. I have the duvet and the white cover now but it is the king size, so my bed is bigger than normal. I might get another white bed cover but "tailored" made and get the coverlet folded at the bottom with some sort of pattern (damask). Also the pillows and shams, I might mix colors and textures. I loved the PB cover that was posted I can try to find something similar.

    I would love to keep the blue, as it is a peaceful color. I'm not sure I am ready for orange yet.

    Feel free to give any other ideas.

    Thank you all so much
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you don't want color or pattern to define your your space then you should at least use texture, bringing in fabrics in similar tones but with varied textures. What are the photos of? They look like separate pieces of lace.
  • 13 years ago
    I think there is a pooch hiding between the pillows? in the first pic :-)
  • 13 years ago
    I like the shade of blue you've chosen for the walls and pillows. I would get curtains that same shade of blue of that incorporated that shade of blue. Also, you need some more substantial lamps! Maybe lamps in a silvery color with a bit of sparkle. I also like the idea of other Houzzers who suggested wallpapering the wall just behind the bed. I am sure you will find many wall papers that will really set off the colors you've chosen here.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks like a little pug dog!
  • 13 years ago
    No wonder you got tired of the old spread. How about this look? Stay with mainly solids and change out accent pillows if you get tired of the look.
  • 13 years ago
    I think something like this would look very nice. You're very close already. I like to put a king sized quilt on a queen bed.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I don't know how your budget is but I would leave the headboard alone. I also really like your lamps and pillows. The first place to start is the bedding. I would get something that works with the elements you already have like this:
    Adriana Organic Duvet Cover · More Info

    and then I would pull a color from the bedding to use on the walls. Maybe a soft celery green. Kittery Point Green from Benjamin Moore is here: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/personal-color-viewer;jsessionid=Dq9QS5VpycP8vZjkpGwL1jhh2FhW8vTwh0NskwVMgntHrL2NrPbx!232478492!NONE
    Use the "paint your room online" function.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you have a good start. I love tan and light blue together. Does the cross need to go directly above the bed? (forgive my lack of knowledge it that's tradition) It's a small piece for such a large wall. If anything, it needs to be lowered. Some substantial statement lamps would be nice. Target has a few nice mercury lamps that would look nice with those colors. A duvet or blanket that covers the sides would help but I think you can keep the white if you get tired of patterns quickly (me too). A blanket folded at the bottom like the picture above would look nice. You could get a blanket or quilt style which is less expensive than all new bedding. Your throw pillows, though cute, don't quite match the tone of your walls. Shams and different throw pillows would give the bed more statement. I always buy the throw pillows with the pattern so its easy to switch out. Keep the cute dog on the bed at all times. :o)
  • 13 years ago
    I understand why you got tired of the IKEA bedding -- it is a nice pattern, but too busy for a small room. I agree with hollywaterfall, your headboard, lamps and pillows are fine, but I would keep the blue -- it is peaceful and goes well with your throw pillows.

    What I would do is purchase two pretty baskets to go into the open space under your bedside table tops, and hide all your clutter in those, except for your water glass & alarm clock if you have one. Move the framed photo to another room if you can, or do a grouping of photos with the same frame colour.

    That is a beautiful cross, but it does look kind of lonely so high above the bed by itself. I agree that two sparkly mirrors mounted behind the behind side lamps would look nice, or mount some framed mini-mirrors to surround your cross. Mirrors bounce light around and make a small room seem larger, and multiples make a cheerful grouping.

    Obviously the duvet is too small for your bed, so you need to get one that fits. :)

    Here is nice neutral bedding that maybe you wouldn't get tired of, plus matches your cute little pug dog:
    http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/view-all/bed-bath/bensonhurst-beadspread-accessories/

    Have fun decorating! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Bensonhurst available at JC Penney
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest painting a darker color and you could add a fabric canopy~that would really cozy it up~good luck
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Adriana,
    I am having the same problem as you trying to make my bedroom cozy. My bedroom is 11’ wide and we have a queen size bed. One thing I have found is you really need to use a king size comforter or coverlet on a queen size bed. My next set of sheets I will also buy queen fitted and king size flat sheet. I love white sheets just as you do. I have also decided to purchase two chests for either side of the bed to store things I need but I want to keep out of sight.
    I love the colour of your blue wall behind the bed. Like another viewer said I would paint all the walls that same colour. You just need a bit more colour on the bed. A nice cotton coverlet for the summer or even a pretty throw in the right colour would give the bed some wow. Perhaps you could have one set of pillow with a stripe or edging in your colour. You definitely need some colour above the bed. A large piece of artwork would be nice.
    You could hang some pretty mirrors behind your lamps to reflect light as well. You could also choose some artwork to hang there. I like the idea of clearing off your night tables and storing those things out of sight. Too much clutter does not make your bedroom feel cozy.
    If you are like me you like soft pastels shades. Nothing that hits you when you walk in the room; I love the last picture because it has pretty blue, white and grey blue and they all blend so nicely. That is one of my favourite bedroom pictures. It is cozy, fresh and inviting. I guess what you want is a room that begs you to enter and enjoy.
    I hope some of this helps and I wish you luck with your bedroom makeover.

    Kim
  • 13 years ago
    I took an old curtain rod - the old white kind that slips over a little bracket and cut it in half. I got narrow tubing and connected the two pieces to make a half circle. I attached the little brackets to the wall near the ceiling over the bed. I got ruffled valances and strung them on the half circle to make like a canopy over the bed. I also bought sheers and strung them on the ends of this half circle and tied them back. Talk about cozy!!
  • 13 years ago
    Lee lee where do I find the coral bedding love it
  • 13 years ago
    If you notice, in the pictures people put as ideas here, all the ones with blue comforters feel more cosy and blend wounderfully! This is something I most definitrly suggest. ;) I would match this with beige and blue / white pillows. Like your blue/white cushion pillows. The cross would look nice somewhere else in the room, too small for over the bed. I would paint other walls the same color blue or the beige cream color of the headboard, although the wall with the curtains would look nicer in ble also. i have seen people with rooms two walls blue and two walls beige or just the wall facing the bed in beige. I like your lamps, but sinve your nightstands are dark and there isn t any other dark furniture in the room, it would look cosier with light shade lamps, cream or white and a little taller, but you could keep them if you incorporate some artwork over the bed that incorporates silver and beige, again artwork is not mandatory... Depending on the lamps and what you place on the nightstands. I like your curtains that go well with your bed. Was woundering... What type of lightfixture is in this room over the bed or elsewhere and how big is the rest of the room? I agree the blue color of your wall is great. Please post a picture of your finished product!
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry for the typong errors... typing errors with this phone!
  • 13 years ago
    I meant to say for paint color the cream beige of the curtains for wall opposite the bed.
  • 13 years ago
    Try using the grey foundation with pops of your teal. Keep to your white linens. Use an indoor outdoor fabric and recover the headboard. Use a fabric in soft geometric design. A deep but soft grey wall. Paint your side tables a teal witha grey wash. Add a third favorite color in your side lamps. Pick it up from your headboard fabric. Copy the headboard or colours from it in pillows. Use the ones you have. Have fun....
  • 13 years ago
    The more I think about it. You need to get new night tables. As Iliana said above they are too dark for the lighter shades of things you have in the rest of the room. Here are some ideas for them:
    3-Drawer Nightstand, Pearl Essence · More Info

    French Casement Bedside Table · More Info

    Riverside Coventry 1 Drawer Nightstand - Weathered Driftwood · More Info

    KYOTO 3 DRAWER NIGHT STAND AND SMALL OPEN NIGHT STAND · More Info
    (the 3 drawer one)
  • 13 years ago
    I think a great inexpensive idea would be stenciling the headboard wall...not necessarily with another color but maybe the same blue in a shinier finish....something Moroccan or chevron. I'm going to try to do the same thing with my bedroom this winter (also blue) as I have a darker blue curtain with a Moroccan pattern...a lot of work, but something to do to pass the long, Minnesota winter!
  • 13 years ago
    Here's my blue bedroom...
  • 13 years ago
  • 13 years ago
    I would get rid of the cross over the bed and put a very contemporary picture or even a large mirror over the bed. I would also upgrade the end tables with something a little more complimentary to the bed. And change the curtains to soften up the room
  • 13 years ago
    Add color contrast and/or pattern contrast. (I'd do both.) Think of visual rhythm . . . something that causes the eye to move around and then return to a favorite focal point. Right now, you have large flat blocks of the same tonality on a gray scale, so visually, everything just sort of lays there. Finally, i'd urge you to get one largish object that you really truly love . . . don't worry about what anyone else likes . . . Put it where you can happily see it when you're in your favorite spot in the room. Let the rest of the decorating flow from that.
  • 13 years ago
    Resource art and design comments cover it all well.
    Cross needs to be lower and in a smaller space.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You could have 2 framed pictures over the headboard with dark brown contemporary frames that would match your nightstands.
    Or paint your nightstands white.
  • 13 years ago
    Adriana, I'm redoing my master bedroom so the comments to your post are giving me ideas as well. Where did you get your bed? I'm looking for an upholstered bed or headboard and like the simple lines of yours. Thanks!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like your headboard and the paint color. How about hanging chandeliers above each night table to free up space and add add visual impact? A single piece of large colorful or black and white art? Simple clean neutral bed spread, with accent pillows and throw? Two very cool rustic wood boxes at the end of bed or a bench. I would add sheers, so a beautiful soft light bathes the room and then swag the heavy drapes into one dramatic drape pull to the side. Whala!
  • 13 years ago
    I get two bedspreads or coverlets in the same color theme to use in the summer and winter. I too get tired of the same look so its something to look forward to when the season changes. You can mix and match pillows and throws to change it up even more.
  • 13 years ago
    I love how everyone has their own style. I really appreciate every comment that I have on my master bedroom makeover.
    I don't live in the U.S. rizos, I am not sure you will be able to find it.
  • 13 years ago
    I love your colors. Very relaxing. The bed could be such a focal point if you added a wallpaper behind the head board like the print on your Pillows. It would really make that color of head board stand out. I would paint the other walls the soft blue you have behind the bed. your drapes would look great against it. Also long mirrors behind the side tables would just make your lamps look like jewels. The mirrors could be hung or leaned. It would bounce great light all over the place. If you wanted new lamps I would go with a great contrast color. Tall, with white shades. I would call your color scheme Sky, sand and sea. Ad a dark teal and it could be an angry sea. :) Or the turtle on the bed could be a great addition in a toned down version. Seaweed! Or celery. Look for vibrant colors and use the toned down softer version of them for cozy. Coral Red would work also. The lamps would be fab. I would stick with the basics you have. Good bones. Find a site that shows how to make a lux bed, and dress up your bed clothes. Just keep it clean and not to fussy. I think the headboard is a great statement. Get your color from throws, pillows and other gee gaws. You might want to put a picture ,photo canvas, something that means something to you above the bed between the two mirrors. I hope you will take this in the fun offered. That is how I see the wall behind your bed. Would love to see the rest of the room. I so enjoy being able to dream about your room. Thanks for the chance to act like a real designer.
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest different lamps, something over the bed on the wall. And some more pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    What a great idea, to get so many suggestions. Here is a quick photoshop re-design. To maximize coziness without it costing a lot, warm up the lighting. Go for sheers against the window for a lighter, less opaque look and when the sun streams in in the afternoon, it will feel very cozy. I opted for a dark wall for the window which will help bring focus back to the bed. Load up on pillows and quilts and consider a skirted nightstand instead of the solid wood.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, I would definitely change out the lamps to ceramic or mercury glass. New bedding-adding alittle color and pattern. Even tone on tone pattern would be nice-if you don't want a lot of color. The other thing I notice is the color of the walls looks to be a cooler color and your headboard is a warm color. I don't think they work together. My bedroom is an aqua blue (a blue with some green in it) It's a warmer blue and it look wonderful with colors like you headboard. The nightstands are fine and you could brighten them up with light colored lamps and accesorries. I think you have some good basics--just need alittle tweeking. Good luck
  • 13 years ago
    I disagree with some on this topic. I do not like grey in the bedroom as the main color. It is not a warm and cozy color. Find a color palette with warm colors even at Pottery Barn or another website with palettes. You can do a lot once you have the right colors to work with.
  • 13 years ago
    pam405.... how do you do that with the picture? (Adding things in)
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Heather - It's done in Photoshop. I use it for my work in graphics. You can combine different pictures and adjust the opacity and hues and erase areas you don't want and clone areas where you need more image. It's a great way to see if I like something before I actually go and do it (though I still end up re-doing a lot of times anyway, just like everyone). My sister is redoing her kitchen and I must have done 12 versions for her with different kinds of granite, cabinets, etc. It takes a fair amount of research to gather all the photos, because it looks more realistic if they have been shot from the same angle. It's possible to tweak things around to acommodate that, but it usually affect the texture or any pattern.
  • 13 years ago
    I think it would be pretty to play off of your cross by putting more crosses up of different styles to take up the space above the bed you would otherwise use for a painting.

    This isn't exactly it, but give an idea.

    http://houzz.com/photos/652552
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks pam!
  • 13 years ago
    I Think if you paínt a little moré dark that wall and add some art llike Photos with silver frame ,change the lamps ,add blues green white pillows with strips Is a cheap solution and if you can change the drapes
  • 13 years ago
    I like the canopy idea as it would add a cosy feel to the space. I've done this a few times, use plant hanger hooks, install on the ceiling above each corner of the bed or you can just do the head area. Hang ceiling to floor white gauzy fabric. Ready made drapery panels can be used and often found on sale at home decor stores (Jysk, Ikea, etc). It looks great with the 4 fabric posters but you can also swag the fabric from one hook to another to form a really dreamy canopy. It's inexpensive and easy to install and remove.