Software
Houzz Logo Print
mischievous_magpie

Laguna, year 4.

This rose is a bit of a frustrating one for me. It took a few years to take off, but now it's thriving. However, every year the blooms burn to a crisp at around 80°F with sun. The only reason the blooms are not completely dead by this time of year right now is because we've had abnormally racing and cloudy weather for a few weeks now. You can see some burning anyway. If I catch the blooms quick enough in the morning, I can cut a nice vase. And the flowers are beautiful (although the color is a bit loud for me). But on the bush, they just can't stand up to the weather here. Not sure what to do. I'm still thinking on it.

Comments (11)

  • last year

    I commiserate. I've got one like that. Neil Diamond. This was taken yesterday at the end of the couple of weeks of rainy wet weather.

    We will eventually pull it for something else.

    Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • last year
    last modified: last year

    I don't know if Lady Ashe is to your liking: high centered bloom form, apricot color, and climbing, long stemmed lateral for cutting, hybrid tea growth form, but I think its thick petals may hold up to heat pressure. I wish you could have seen mine before RR Virus hit it, it was uniquely magnificent!

    Moses.

  • last year

    Likewise Aloha, from which Lady Ashe sported, if you happen to favor a more pink color. The flowers are huge, which can sometimes be quite an exciting thing.



  • last year

    I think your Laguna is beautiful, Magpie!

    Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • last year

    I do too, Magpie!

    Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • last year

    Magpie - your Laguna is amazing...what a beauty!!! Too bad there's no shade there. Crisping up at 80F is really bad for heat tolerance.


    mmmm - I have a Neil Diamond (new, and hasn't bloomed yet) in a spot in half shade/half sun. I was going to move it to full sun, but now I think I'll leave it where it is. That's a huuuuge bloom you have there!


    Ingrid - are those blooms from this year?

  • last year

    It is beautiful, Magpie, shame about the crisping and frustrating indeed after nursing it for 4 years. I get that a lot, poor heat and/or rain resistance is the main reason I frequently reach for the shovel.


    If a rose is at the back of a border with lots of other things to distract, I would just enjoy the splash of colour and ignore the individual blooms. If it’s in a prominent position so I see every annoyingly crispy bloom, it would be gone.


    I understand the hesitation though. Every year I swear I will get rid of La Rose de Molinard because the blooms collapse into a balled, browned mess after our frequent rains and then the damaged petals crisp in hot sun. The problem is, the grapefruit and violet fragrance is intoxicatingly strong and when they open unscathed the blooms are gorgeous. I keep making excuses for it while secretly hoping the conditions will be just right. They never are. This year it’s so bad, I really, truly have run out of reasons to keep it!




    Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked NollieSpainZ9
  • last year

    I love the color Magpie, but the crisping is frustrating. What to do? Maybe it will get more heat resistant as it ages ?

    Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • last year

    I was hoping age and lots of water would help, but I also figured 4 years would be enough to show any sign of outgrowing it. No luck so far.




  • last year

    It is still beautiful, Magpie.