Software
Houzz Logo Print
taimour111

Where are the creative designers?

13 years ago
I need someone to draw up something modern for me to finish this house! My wife and I are stuck. I posted this before and no one seemed to reply to us. If you have any ideas, please post them with pictures

Comments (33)

  • 13 years ago
    One idea is to break the stairs and make them wider ad remove the shoulder.
  • 13 years ago
    What will you use to finish the walls, roof, windows, doors? Asking someone to draw something modern without any further information is like asking someone to draw a flower.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Plenty of ideas to be found in the photo section.
    Make an ideabook and see what makes your heart beat faster.
    Corona Del Mar · More Info

    christian rice architects, inc. · More Info

    Diablo Modern Residence · More Info

    Sagamore House · More Info

    Cat Mountain Residence · More Info

    Brandon · More Info
    taimour111 thanked rinked
  • 13 years ago
    Your house has a beautiful, imposing shape, perfect for a modern facade. But I agree with the comments above; make an idea book, find what you like best, then use that as a basis for consulting with a local architect.
    taimour111 thanked Rina
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. I added 2 more pictures. We hired 2 architects and a builder. We made so many changes, and this is where we are. The house is built of bricks and then a layer of cement goes over it, then paint. As you can see in the pictures, we haven't painted the exterior yet. The house is in Egypt as my wife is Egyptian and I'm an American Citizen. I like American taste and aslo believe the designers are far better!!

    The entrance is our major issue. I only need help right now designing an entrance!! As ou can see when you come up the stairs there is nothing then a few steps to the door. How do we add some curb appeal or build an entrance?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Maybe double timber and glass doors, some beautiful mosaic tiles in the entrance and the stairs !What colour will you render the exterior?
  • 13 years ago
    Hi again. A real problem here is that it's very hard for anyone to find a starting point, because -- aside from the house itself -- you don't have one. I'm not a professional designer but the first thing I would do, though it sounds a bit back to front, is choose my ideal front door. A really dramatic door would take you halfway to all the curb appeal you need. When you have that, it would help to define what the rest of the front should look like. (By the way, do you know yet what colour you want to use on the walls?)

    I've picked up four modern door designs, but you could go in so many other directions. Go to Browse Rooms, go down to Windows and Doors, and then put "modern front doors" in the search box. You'll find any number of examples and styles to inspire you.

    With the following four, the first one comes from http://materialgirlsblog.com/losangeles/page/2/, the second and fourth come from http://freshome.com/2012/08/29/30-inspiring-front-door-designs-hinting-towards-a-happy-home/, and the third (bottom left) comes from http://www.foretdoors.com/modern-doors-gallery.html -- and I found that one through Houzz, by searching as above.

    (I love the bottom right, with its glowing panels. Imagine that translated into a large double door.)
    taimour111 thanked Rina
  • 13 years ago
    Did you maybe put the cart before the horse? First you built the house, then you want it modernized? I would suggest looking thru Houzz photos for 'modern exterior' for inspiration.
    [houzz=
    front landscape · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Stein Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Casa Lluvia Blanca · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    The Strand Manhattan Beach · More Info
    ]
    taimour111 thanked charleee
  • 13 years ago
    Rina, too bad you're not getting paid for your advice! One of the bottom 2 you posted will definetly be our pick for the door. I think I like the stairs in the picture bottem left. The contractor built the shoulders you see that make an "L" with the stairs. I don't know to remove them or keep them.
  • 13 years ago
    Charlee, our house is mediteranean style. However, I just wanted to add a twist of modernism to it. The major issue we have is to just have a nice flow to the whole house. I have a balcony above the entrance, which is limiting on what I can do with the entrance. Also, the entrance area is very wide. I'm afraid if I just leave it like this, it'll just look plain boring, and was looking to see if I need to add poles or any decoration to it. I posted my issues when I ran into problems and also after we didn't like the suggestions of our architechts. I'm getting somewhere right now with Rina at least organizing our thoughts.
  • 13 years ago
    The house color will be beige or brown
  • 13 years ago
    As you can see in the attached, we have a finished and designed model for the back side. We didn't like the front, and this is why I came here for some ideas.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you keep the L shape in the front you could place some wrought iron within the L on either side to match the balustrades you have on the back of the house!
  • 13 years ago
    I'm so happy I could help. I agree with Essentia that the L could be useful for decorative purposes. I'd want to work with that shape. If I think of anything else that might be useful I'll pipe up again.
    taimour111 thanked Rina
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you would like a foyer type entrance, large wrought iron gates could be installed on the front edge! Then maybe two large pot plants in the Ls. and some lighting directed on the plants or even two beautiful sculptures on either side with the lighting!!! You could tile the area and add a padded bench seat on either side inside the Ls as well!This would draw you into the space!
  • 13 years ago
    I would put stone on tapirs with black rod iron railing. Same for deck on second floors. There is a lot of brick. Could you put some wood like half way up brick wall. Stone on stairs a cream flagstone. Once windows are in will look different. Where do,you live? Landscaping will help. Grass, trees and tall big plant will take away from so much brick. A path leading up to Stairs. Put flagstone in light color or stacked stone columns on each side at top of stairs on top of them add big lantern type lights. Add a hanging bronze lantern light in front of front door hang from ceiling. Should be 3-4 ft long.
  • 13 years ago
    Add a fountain in front yard in front of main window. Big.
  • 13 years ago
    I see you will have double front doors. Make them unique, very tall and maybe hand curved.
  • 13 years ago
    Instead of yard. add water feature by front door.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The really creative designers are generally working on projects that pay them.
  • 13 years ago
    Amen to that.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    IPE trim with concrete counter top sills
  • 13 years ago
    Travisinteriors, I particularly like the idea of a fountain.

    I don't often think of them because I live in a water-poor country. So do you, Taimour (in spite of the Nile!), yes? But if a fountain is a possibility, you could also think of two wall fountains, one either side of the entrance, either where I've blocked them in below (forgive the quick scribble) or, if the design allows, right next to the stairs.

    (By the way, Travisinteriors, see above -- the house is yet to be plastered and painted. It's not going to have a brick facade.)

    I mean this kind of thing (found on http://www.labdal.com/garden-wall-fountains.html/robson-square-vancouver-british-columbia-canada#main):
  • 13 years ago
    All the creative designers are moving towards the home automation side of design now. Most people think of design as how something looks..but really if you look deeper, its how it all works. having full control of your entire home using just your iPhone/iPad is going to change the way we build homes in the future.
  • 13 years ago
    Why don't you simply hire a professional? I am sure there are US-trained designers and architects in Egypt.
  • 13 years ago
    soberg, seriously! I would!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You can have mosaic artwork done on the entrance floor.
    Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

    Marble Mosaic Rugs and Medallions · More Info

    Marble Mosaic Rugs and Medallions · More Info

    Marble Mosaic Rugs and Medallions · More Info

    Custom Work Assignments by MEC · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I have a pretty good idea on what to do now. Thank you so much for all the help. But, please post any other ideas you have. I don't think people in general appreciate the power of social media or a website like "Houzz". I hired 2 different designers and got the most out of them that I want.....the rest wasn't our style or what we wanted to do....and they simply just don't have the creativity, touch, and taste to execute what we want to do. So, instead of keep hiring designer, we came here. Having a medium like this one; it lets all designers, wanna be designers, professionals and just experienced home owners share their ideas! Honestly, I'm very happy with the ideas for our house that we got here..... This is just to answer the lame "why don't you hire a designer"
  • 13 years ago
    I'm glad you've got what you needed from the discussion. Whether your ideas would include mosaic or not, I do admire the mosaic rugs MEC Corporation posted, especially the first and the third. Good luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Some more wrought iron modern work
    Wrought Iron artworks by MEC · More Info

    Wrought Iron artworks by MEC · More Info

    Wrought Iron artworks by MEC · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here you can have something for your washroom or get any feature wall in mosaic.
    Marble mosaic and Glass mosaic washrooms · More Info

    Marble mosaic and Glass mosaic washrooms · More Info

    Marble mosaic and Glass mosaic washrooms · More Info

    Crystal Mosaic Artworks by Mec · More Info

    Crystal Mosaic Artworks by Mec · More Info

    Custom Work Assignments by MEC · More Info

    Custom Work Assignments by MEC · More Info

    Custom Work Assignments by MEC · More Info

    Custom Work Assignments by MEC · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Entry door is definitely of importance as suggested previously. Given a nice overhang you might want to consider solid wood doors. Below few examples for you. Best of luck with your house!