Software
Houzz Logo Print
walolivjw

Home Improvement

6 months ago

Hello,
We live in Kingwood(NE Houston) and we’d like to improve the exterior of our house, as inexpensively as possible. I found this AI fantasy storybook house(but no magic wand🫤)that has an exterior design that’s similar to ours; something I could copy/use as inspiration piece, and of course I love it.

GETTING STARTED

  1. I’m about to clean the shingles. If they look good, if the appearance is greatly improved afterwards, then I’ll update this photo. We may need a new roof soon, and our HOA will not allow us to have a metal roof like this one.
  2. I may also tear out the azaleas that are behind the shrubs. They’re slowly dying anyway, and I think they detract from what could be a very pretty porch.
  3. I think, with a little internet searching, we could find just the right way to add trim that will create that decorative arch between the columns.
  4. Landscaping will be terribly expensive and will have to wait.

I’d really appreciate any knowledgeable advice on how to create a storyboard exterior like this one.

Comments (7)

  • PRO
    6 months ago

    I don't think you can push the style of your home to a Storybook Style. This particular example is kind of a 'folly', really over the top.


    With a better use of color on the house and MUCH BETTER LANDSCAPING, I think your home can be charming without being 'sweet'.



    Yes the azaleas should go. They don't look healthy. The 22 round ball shrubs look......not good. The quantity of individual balls is the problem. With a bit of time and effort you can get them to grow into a hedge instead.


    You really need a completely new landscaping plan for the front that cuts down the amount of lawn by no less than half IMO.




  • 6 months ago

    Remove the azaleas, let the shrubs grow into a low row hedge, consider a larger light beside the door, get a brighter, larger wreath on the door. Once the azaleas are gone, you can add some porch furniture that gives a storybook vibe such as wicker or rockers and certain styles of wrought iron, maybe a porch swing, with cushions that give the vibe you want. Baskets of hanging, flowering plants as weather permits. You could add larger topiary shrubs beside the door. Put them on something so they are tall enough to be seen over the hedge.


  • 6 months ago

    I would remove all those ugly round balls, and then see if the azaelas will do better, once they get light and air. They would give the landscaping a better look than all those round things. Your house will never be a story book type house, but, it is a very nice looking house as it is. It just needs a lot of landscaping done, to make it even better.

  • 6 months ago

    Your inspo pic is nothing like your house. In fact, I rather suspect it's an AI and not a real house at all. If that's inspiration for your landscaping, then, okay. You could line your path with impatiens and it would look pretty good.


    The azaleas might need more light. You could try moving them to the edge of your property. And you can give them a good trim.

  • 6 months ago

    We planted and maintained our landscaping for the past 40 years. Now that we are 40 years OLDER, we have had some landscapers do some trimming and cleanup. One of the first things that they did was trim some of the bushes into ” meatballs”! Why do they do that? Your plants will be so much better when your meatballs are removed.

  • 6 months ago

    @Sigrid The OP said it was an AI fantasy house.

  • 6 months ago

    Here's an idea that's a first step. Your location is against you for lush flowering plants unless you are committed to watering and very good soil prep before you plant. Your idea of making the porch more visible is a good one. You could easily do this as a first step. AI went a little wacky trying to put the arch between the columns but you get the idea. The light on the post in the garden wouldn't have to be functional if you don't want to run electric into the yard. There also may be a solar fixture you could use.