Software
Houzz Logo Print
oldmoses

How low can you go?

5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

I would like to grow some short roses, no more than 2' tall (but not spreading roses like Sweet Drift), that have large blooms, 4"+, and have excellent disease resistance, especially for black spot. Any color there is. Thank you!

Moses.

Comments (19)

  • 5 months ago

    Thank you, Vapor. I will study your suggestions.

    Are you familiar with the rose Flawless? This is the one I am trying to find a look alike for, any color bloom but otherwise just like Flawless, except for Flawless' bad black spot resistance. It gets black spot bad here.

    I just got Reminiscent Coral, which I hope I can keep to <24" tall....will see. It has large blooms, and HMFR says 24" is its lower height limit.

    Moses.

  • 5 months ago

    Check out Ashley and my photos of this rose on the April & Ashley thread. This rose, which is in its third year in my garden, is not quite two feet and produces huge 6-7 inch blooms that last by far the longest of any rose I grow. There is more information with the photos. Diane

  • 5 months ago

    Diane,

    Ashley looks like a great candidate.....will search out its disease resistance, and if it gets high points there, I'll be ecstatic. Thanks, Diane!

    Moses.

  • 5 months ago

    A Tantau rose from April & Ashley I ordered is Hansestadt Rostock (this is the one time I wish they would give a rose a second name so I could actually pronounce it). It’s supposed to stay around 24 inches, normal sized blooms, and is supposedly hardy.

    https://www.aprilandashley.com/products/hansestadt-rostock?_pos=1&_psq=rost&_ss=e&_v=1.0

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    Two Feet is super low for a large flowered rose! I have NO roses that grow under 2 feet unless I physically cut them lower than that! One very low growing new rose that always impresses me at the nursery is Powerpuff Pink, bred by Jim Sproul and reputedly very disease resistant


    Powerpuff Pink


    Another is Flower Carpet Berry…much larger bloom than the usual Flower Carpet series

    Flower Carpet Berry

  • 5 months ago

    Moses, I only grow short roses now but you usually lose bloom size, Bolero is one exeption .Reminiscent has stayed short with a decent sized bloom. I have been able to keep Gypsy Soul short amd Cinco De Mayo is short , not huge blooms but profuse. I have 2 Gruss An Achen and they are still only waist high after 10 years. Such a perfect rose. Gorgeous blooms, zero health issues.



  • 5 months ago

    Eustacia Vye is well under 2 feet in my garden—I have two of them. Extremely hardy, very disease-resistant, and absolutely beautiful.

  • 5 months ago

    I can't speak from experience about this one but I just found True Friendship at my local Lowe's and HMF lists it at a staggeringly small 1 foot height. The comments sound like it has the typical Ping Lim resistance to disease, some fragrance, and it does indeed stay small for posters. It's a lemon yellow that fades to cream.


    Other roses that I find stay reliably small with relatively large flowers include Bordeaux, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, LavaGlut - all dark red and very healthy for me but probably not fragrant (my nose can't tell). MIdnight Fire is a captivating russet orange and it stays no more than 2' at most with pretty large flowers - no idea on scent. Morden Blush and Morden Centennial - all the Mordens except Snowbeauty - are small for me, absolutely hardy, and reasonably large flowers. Mostly cream and light pink colors though some stretch to dark pink.

    Floral and Cream Fairy Tale are both compact and short for me but I seem to recall you having some difficulty with them.


    Cynthia

  • 5 months ago

    Dave, I have Hansestadt Rostock. I planted it in August. It's short but started to spread and the blooms so far have been about 2", though I see HMF lists them as 3.5", so maybe they'll get bigger. Mine had a reasonable Spring flush for being so young, but not much since, though,again, HMF says prolific and flushes through the season. I love the bloom clusters - the shades of amber and yellow are lovely together. And it's very healthy. I'll be interested to see how yours does.

  • 5 months ago

    Dylan Rose is one that fits all your requirements except huge bloom. They’re not small just not huge

  • 5 months ago

    Does Dylan stay small for you in the PNW oursteelers? I'd planted mine at the front of my bed and it's sending out 4' tall canes already. I'm thinking I'll have to move it or bend the canes over. It's a lovely rose and I'm not complaining about its exuberance, I just was surprised and it doesn't fit the space I gave it anymore.

    Cynthia

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    Thank you all for your input. My preliminary research has led me to favor Diane's Ashley, and Cynthia's True Friendship.

    True Friendship is already an A.R.T.S. winner, so black spot is not an issue at all with True Friendship. It's reported to be 1' tall (unbelievable!!!), as Cynthia reported, which I have confirmed on HMFR, but at Altman Plants, Vista, CA, it's distributor, it's listed as 3'x3'!

    Ashley, from all the visuals on HMFR, it's a shortie, just as I want, but I have to continue learning more about Ashley's disease profile. Yes, I thought of April & Ashley as I begin to find a source for Ashley, but April & Ashley do not appear to sell it. Not done trying, yet.

    Again, thank you all. You've really come to my aid, big time.

    Keep your suggestions coming, please.

    Moses.

  • 5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

    Hi Moses ! i have no personal review of this rose but i do have my eye on ” luna love ” from heirloom . the pics look lovely . im trying to attatch a link but it wont let me.



  • 5 months ago


    **


    “…I have to continue learning more …”


    https://www.rosen-tantau.com/en/ashley-6428m


  • 5 months ago

    Moses, here's some learining.



  • 5 months ago

    Thanks Rifis and Diane,

    Seems like with a score of only 2 stars out of 4 for black spot resistance, Ashley is out of competition. It's a beauty, though. Thanks for your input and your time spent in helping me. Back to the drawing board!

    Moses.

  • 5 months ago

    I don’t know if you can get it, A&A perhaps, but Heidi Klum would meet your criteria. Large 3D mauve blooms with good petal substance on a compact and healthy plant that never got more than 18” in height or width. Heat and rain resistant. Some black spot later in the season, but I can count on one hand roses that get no BS in my no spray hot and humid climate. Fragrance sometimes really quite good, other times absent.




  • 5 months ago

    Cynthia, yes Dylan stays a nicely rounded 2 ft shrub for me. No shooting canes, exceptionally healthy, constant bloom. The only downside is mild fragrance