Software
Houzz Logo Print
julianacaitlin

Looking for a quiet garbage disposal

23 days ago

Does this even exist? My current one sounds like an airplane jet!

Comments (13)

  • 22 days ago

    The 3/4 HP InSinkErator Evolution Compact was quiet but has been discontinued. The replacement product is the InSinkErator EVOLUTION 0.75HP Advanced Series (at Home Depot and Amazon).

    If you have an InSinkErator* disposer, a new one will likely attach to the old disposer flange; you won't have to mess with the part that attaches to the sink. You'll be able to twist the old disposer off the flange and twist the new one on. Don't forget to knock out the plug if you connect a dishwasher drain hose to the disposer!

    -----

    *mine was an InSinkErator rebadged as Kenmore.

  • 22 days ago

    Thank you so much! I’ll check it out.

  • PRO
    22 days ago

    Yeah, they definitely exist! 😄 A quieter garbage disposal makes a huge difference, especially in an open kitchen. I’d look for one with good sound insulation rather than just focusing on horsepower.

  • 22 days ago

    I have two 1 HP Evolutions I installed ca. 2010. They are virtually silent when not digesting anything, and remarkably quiet when dealing with water and/or garbaage. However, the following caveats need to be kept in mind.

    (a) My 1 HP units have their drain ports lower (relative to the sink) than the Insinkerator that was replaced. So dimensions need to be checked.

    (b) Quiet is mostly due to the design of the "splash guard" / "baffle" that the food is pushed through. With water running the sound is almost completely blocked. The deficiency is that as this part ages, it tends to become a sink drainage restriction due to subtle flexibility changes, I think. Pushing on it or running the disposal clears any slow-down. The water will drain, just slower than one might want if no action is taken. Fortunately, replacements are widely available and inexpensive.

  • 22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

    Are you sure there is nothing caught up in the blades? I had a very small piece of plastic fall into the disposal and the disposal couldn't grind it, so it just spun around making a racket. Had to stick my hand in there with a knife to find the tiny piece and pull it out. Normal blade spinning noise after that.

  • 22 days ago

    I’m getting my kitchen remodeled and looking for a quiet replacement. Honestly, I think mine could grind cement!

  • 22 days ago

    @Keseki — thank you for your input. Hadn’t thought about the rubber guard. Mine is very old. As I mentioned, I’m getting a new kitchen and replacing my disposal. All the best.

  • 22 days ago

    As can happen Insinkerator has been purchased by Whirlpool. in 2022 on November 1st. The current product line has been downgraded at the same price. The top model, EVOLUTION EXCEL, had both stainless blades and a stainless-steel grind chamber. Lower models had a composite grind chamber. for less lifespan. I bought my EXCEL off ebay.

  • 21 days ago

    According to the InSinkErator disposal comparison chart, the Badger 1 and 3 have "Long lasting galvanized steel grind components" while all other models have "Rust-resistant stainless steel grind components". Various models have 1, 2, 3, or 4 "Grind stages" (the EVOLUTION 0.75HP Advanced Series is 3-stage). The 0.75HP is already expensive at $192; 1HP at $350 is way too much.

  • 21 days ago

    I call the company and speak with tech support. They will tell you what the chamber is made of. Even when they were producing the prior models they hid the fact that only the EXCEL and the model for septic fields use had stainless grind chambers. The new models also dropped the metal case for nylon filled plastic. Grind components are the lugs and shredder rings. Do the install yourself and use the labor savings to make the one time investment in an EXCEL You won't have to buy again. Iy's also rated to chop more difficult food products.

  • 20 days ago

    It is pretty easy to install a disposer. The hardest part is lifting the heavy disposer into position so you can rotate it onto the sink flange.

  • 20 days ago

    ... so you can rotate it onto the sink flange while keeping it vertically aligned.

    Shimming the disposal base above the cabinet base with scrap wood or using a "lab jack" can help.

  • 20 days ago

    It weighs 19lbs. Yhe flange is ramped. Align, rotate and you'll lock in place. Make the p-trap connections. Plug it on.