Software
Houzz Logo Print
jkumar0

kitchen cupboard help!

19 days ago

I will be having my kitchen cupboards painted soon and will be painting the bottom cabinets BM Great Barrington Green and the top White Dove. Walls are a BM Balboa Mist. My dilemma is that the panty cabinets in the background are up and down. Should I paint that area the White Dove or go for a more dramatic look and paint them the green?

Comments (28)

  • 19 days ago

    Great project - I’d vote for just one color for the kitchen cabs, it will simplify things for the space

  • 18 days ago

    One color will work better.

  • 18 days ago

    There are a lot of nice ivory paints that would work with your floor. I would not choose a color that will visually close it in.

  • 18 days ago

    No to two-tone cabinetry with those floors. I would also suggest an ivory or soft creamy white that coordinates with the floor.

  • 18 days ago

    Why not two colours with the floors, too busy?

  • 18 days ago

    The white dove is a nice white. Because of the walls being Balboa Mist, I can’t go too much on the creamy side.

  • 18 days ago

    I am pretty stuck on the two tone, is there a colour that would look better than the green. Tired of an all white kitchen.

  • 18 days ago

    I share your ”all white” kitchen fatique even though I’ve had white kitchen cabinets in two houses for the past 25 years, lol . If you’re keeping your floors I would consider what Patricia suggested or consider a taupish beige neutral that pairs well with your floors. ( on both uppers & lowers ).

  • 18 days ago

    Have you made large sample boards of BM Great Barrington Green and attached them to your cabinets in order to see how the color looks in your home?




    It seems like Great Barrington Green isn't a good color for your floors - unless you are changing them. Your floors are BUSY - and control what you should do in your kitchen. The flooring really limits what will work colorwise. Also, using different colors for the uppers and lowers will make your kitchen look very busy.


    If you aren't changing the flooring - have you considered painting it? I have seen some dramatic changes in how a kitchen/bathroom look once someone paints over the busy flooring. There are paints that will work - as long as you do the correct prep work + use the right primer + type of floor paint.


    The below floors were faux slate tiles:



    Many people use stencils:



    The woman who made this tik tok video shows how she painted her tiles to look like marble - she did a great job + it made a huge difference in how her kitchen cabinets looked once she was rid of the undertone in her tile floors:


    Before:



    After:





    Linoleum floors/tiles can be painted also:




    I think two toned kitchens can look nice (my kitchen reno has been delayed due to heath issues - I actually have wanted my new kitchen to be stained white oak lowers + painted white uppers for over five years - before it became a huge trend) - however, they are usually larger kitchens. While I can't see .your entire kitchen in the photos, it does not appear to be large. Maybe add a few more photos so we can see the entire kitchen? I think that stained lowers + painted white/off white uppers work better in a smaller kitchen vs. using a bold color on the lowers with painted white uppers (as seen in the "before and after" screen shots that I posted above from the tik tok video).


    Floor Pops also makes changing floors easy -


    There are many patterns/colors:



    "Chris Loves Julia" is now a brand that started by Julia blogging about DIY projects. They have furniture/accessories/cabinet doors for IKEA/etc. + collaborated with Floor Pops:


    Below is just a random kitchen where someone installed Chris Loves Julia Floor Pops:



    The below pic is from Julia and Chris' house - jack n jill bathroom connecting their children's rooms:


    This is Julia showing Floor Pops in her pantry:



    They are available in several different colors.

  • 18 days ago

    Is it the business of the floors or the actual colour

  • 18 days ago

    The floor is a vinyl grouted tile, not stone. I did paint one oft the cupboards inside and really liked the colour, nut I have a couple extra doors downstairs from cupboards we removed so maybe I will paint them and bring them upstairs to see how the colour would work

  • 18 days ago

    Should read paint “one” of. And “but” I have….

  • 18 days ago

    Because I am determined to do two different colours, would another colour work better? Like Sw Smoky Blue, Sw Blusterly Blue or a lighter green BM Louisburg Green

  • 18 days ago

    You are a couple years too late for two tone. It never looks good in suburban kitchens, plus your door profile makes the money you will spend a waste. Save for all white new flat front doors.

  • 18 days ago

    Is the Balboa Mist only in the kitchen or does it run into other rooms? I'm seeing warm floors and cool walls, You're looking to introduce another cool color with blues and greens into the space. If it's possible, I would change the wall color to the same White Dove as the uppers but in an eggshell finish. Then, if you really want a two-tone, I'd look for a warmer taupe or greige to go with your floors for the lowers.

  • 18 days ago

    Random thoughts:

    - No to the two-tone paint concept. It's never been a great look: It looks kinda like you ran out of money or energy to do the whole thing.

    - I like the floors -- so practical! -- but I agree that they aren't crying out for green. I personally would go for white or cream, but I understand you're burned out on them. The blues you show above would work well.

    - No, you don't need to replace your doors -- trends come and go, but your cabinets look to be in perfect condition.

  • 18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

    I would not spend any money on temporary fixes for the kitchen. I don't like having a kitchen with barely any drawers and short uppers, so I would be saving for a few years to get new lower cabinets with drawers and uppers that go to the ceiling. Change out the floors too.

    Unless painted properly, site painted cabinets are going to start showing wear pretty quickly.

  • PRO
    18 days ago

    An idea you can try; what if you paint the walls black?



  • 18 days ago

    I like the wood cabinets that you have. I could see a terrazzo look floor with the existing wood cabinets.


    You could do the green and white. I don’t know what the flooring is in your adjoining rooms/areas; but I think a wood look floor might work better than the existing floor, with your green and white scheme. A piece of vinyl sheet flooring might be an easy thing to do.


    Here are a couple of views. On the wood look floor, I chose a herringbone style.


    On the one directly above, I tried to just remove the granite backsplash to show how it could look with simple painted wall. AI removed the counter, too - which was not my intention.


    I did put in your exact BM paint colors, although I do not know if the colors are rendered correctly in these. But you get the general idea.


  • 18 days ago

    I personally also like your current wood cabinets - have you considered having your uppers painted White Dove and leaving your lower cabinets?


    If you still want to do a two tone paint color scheme, SW Blustery Sky might work:



    It looks like AI adjusted your floors just a little bit in the above photo. I used the second photo that you posted of your kitchen because the first photo appeared to have been taken with warm lighting shining on your floors = I assumed the the second photo is a more accurate representation of how your floors look in person.


    If .you want to try a green, maybe SW Evergreen Fog?




    To answer your original question - my initial thought was that you should use the White Dove on the pantry cabinets. I didn't make AI renderings using the color from the bottom cabinets on the pantry cabinets.

  • 18 days ago

    I like the blue and white a lot. And the green below it is very nice. Is that Evergreen Fog?

  • 18 days ago

    if you are determined to have two colors in your kitchen id go with a pale sage (ie BM Pearl Mist or Pale Grey n BM natural linen

  • 17 days ago

    Thanks to everyone for all your great feedback! I appreciate all your suggestions. I have a lot to think about now, as changing floors and wall paint colours are not an option, as well as painting floors as they are fairly new and a textured vinyl grouted tile. But the two tone, while may or not be out of style now is definitely still on my radar, as I don’t really care about trends and if they are in or out. But I do see that Great Barrington may not be the tone I am looking for now and am gravitating towards the blues now. Cupboards will be painted by a professional cabinet painter not by ourselves, but I have decided to go all white on the pantry cupboard doors, so thank you all for your help there!

  • 17 days ago

    Whether or not you have now decided that you do not care for the BM Great Barrington green - I took the time to do a rendering with your (as stated) preferred colors.

    If you are going to continue to show up here on this board to get free design advice, you might consider investing in some manners. That would be a much better investment - than painting the cabinets.


  • 17 days ago

    Yes, - the green I used was SW Evergreen Fog.


    I tried using some other colors:


    SW Pewter Green:



    I didn't like the Pewter Green as much as SW Evergreen Fog.



    I also tried a different blue - SW Outerspace:



    However, I liked the Blustery Sky better than Outerspace.


    SW Mount Edna:




    SW Slate Tile:



    While SW Slate Tile and SW Mount Edna look similar in the two renderings, they are different.





    Also, for some reason, it didn't remove the 4" backsplash riser before adding the backsplash tile. If you decided to add backsplash tile, you will need to remove the riser first (shouldn't be difficult to do).



  • 17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

    OP - I think going with white for the pantry cabinets is the correct decision. I didn't see your comment before posting my comment above this one - sorry for sending the other renderings. I had them - so, I posted them - but I was typing that comment when you posted your last one thanking everyone for their help.

    @freedomplace1 - I don't understand your comment.

    Thanks to everyone for all your great feedback! I appreciate all your suggestions.

    OP thanked everyone in the comment posted about an hour before your last comment.

    Are you offended because OP didn't specifically address your comment? There are many comments I've posted where the OP didn't specifically acknowledge my advice/renderings/etc. I've never expected an OP to specifically acknowledge my comments.

    You should take your own advice -

    If you are going to continue to show up here on this board to OFFER free design advice, you might consider investing in some manners.


    @Max Lerner - get a life.

  • 17 days ago

    You do not have to “understand” my comment. @dani_m08. I wasn’t talking to you.