Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkhodges

Just repainted; need help

mkhodges
10 years ago
Just made the change from the dark gold walls (main color) and faded red kitchen. Trying to update with more neutrals in Greige family. Some of the photos have a green cast; this in not true in reality. I changed the long foyer from dark gold to accessible beige, left my LR and DR in a dark brown/bronze. Will change those rooms later. Went to a slightly darker shade, BM northern cliffs, for den and connected sunroom. Kitchen...from red to accessible beige. I wanted a lighter and airier space. I still have color in bedrooms which is nice. But I need so much help adapting to the new colors in the main space. I am traditional in style but hoping to achieve a cleaner, more transitional look. I have put very few of my old accessories back in place. Hoping not to change too much furniture but would welcome all suggestions. Accent colors, art style, lamps....I'm listening. Thank you. I'm new to Houzz so hope I can get pictures posted.

Comments (126)

• mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    House....I think you must be referring to what I'm calling the black/gold rug which I am presently trying to work with. And in reality, it is not really all that gold. It has some green and a bit of rusty red in it. The reason I'm having difficulty working with it now is that it is bold, darker than I want for the new look....but it is actually quite pretty in the right setting. In total, I have four rugs about same size, same basic style, just different colorations. So I will use it somewhere for sure. I bought all of them locally....import rug store....but I will see if there is any info on back of the one you asked about so you could try to find one if still interested. You spoke of using it with existing red furniture....check out the rusty red pillow in my black chair....that is the shade in the rug....but only small amounts.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi, I'm coming into this conversation a little late, but you asked for art suggestions, so I thought I would give a few.

I think the gold and red you have going look excellent!

Here is my site, feel free to see what inspires you.
    http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/index.html

A few suggestions.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Agree, take away the print pillows and artwork is too subtle for that space. Love the colors green and the reds, but these pillow colors (maybe my monitor) do not seem to do it. Would like to see a solid charcoal grey or black in whatever fabric is comfortable for you against the sofa color, maybe with the yellow or red or green solid against that it will tie together better? Or a solid green/red/yellow with a pop of black/charcoal in either fringe trim or...a monogram? You said you live in the south and I always think everyone must love a nice monogram! LOL. Could see that on your lumbar pillows on the black chairs, a brighter color to pop and then a monogram or trim to pick up carpet and walls? Then that same black or grey solid pillows against the sofa, with another of the same color pop on there for a total of three pillows on the sofa?

Until you have artwork it is kind of hard to say. That piece in your breakfast area over the chest, is that hard to move because it looks like golds/yellows/greens/greys from pic. Maybe try that or some other artwork orphans leaning against your den wall just for color and vibrancy decisions?

You are getting closer for sure! Hang in there!
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Do you ever play with art.com? You can load in your wall color, frame, matting and print all in one. Here is an example. http://www.art.com/frameStep/?pd=1024587636&sp=A&APNum=6123055&PODConfigID=4986714&EmailID=&Sku=&ui=CF83F682E4174BC696A8990FB21DFC55&customerzoneid=3
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Or if you are going back to Pier1 anyway...
    Contemporary Artwork · More Info
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Misslaur...lolol...It will be later in the day before i can play around in "the room" with latest ideas...but i just had to respond to the monograms right away. YES! Lol...I have monograms wherever I can put them. So funny. My husband and I happen to have same initials. So we named our two daughters with same initials. Lol. I've been accused of monogramming anything that will stay still long enough. See...I knew you were observant, but now I must add "perceptive" because I don't think any of my monograms have been visible in photos...lol. I'll be back later to do some Houzz projects.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Sounds like we're gonna start having fun, now. Look forward to seeing more pix when you have time.
  • PRO
    Budget My Build
    10 years ago
    A nice bright color would help the room pop! Lowes has a nice tutorial on trying to find the right color for your space. http://www.lowes.com/ideas-how-tos/paint-stain-and-wallpaper/_/N-2zbki/npc

If you need any addition design ideas, you can check out our blog http://budgetmybuild.co/how-to/
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok. I've been occupied several days. Back to redecorating. My hub and I struggled playing switcharoo with rugs we already have. You have seen the strong dark rug which was in my newly painted den. It's posted above. I have referred to it as black and gold rug. Now I have pictures of my LR rug moved to den. It is soft blue...but looks gray in the photos. Please keep in mind that nothing is arranged but I left things in view for color ideas. The question is the rug. The blue rug:
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    It looks great!
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For another look...here is what I call the beige/gray rug. It was upstairs in my husbands office.
    The beige/gray rug now in the den.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    I think I like the blue best- it makes all your accessories pop.
  • joey930
    10 years ago
    The neutral background is great but I noticed your using a lot of dark furniture to contrast so what happens is your eye gets stuck there. Dark frames with colorful pictures will bring your eyes back up and lighten the furniture with pillows and some light colored lamps and some dining table accessories . Bring light and dark throughout the room and pick a color you love to accent and the space will be welcoming and more interesting hope that helps
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Either way I go....I think the black/gold rug will work fine in my husbands office. It actually needs something bolder. But if I switch the blue rug from LR to den, then the beige/gray one will have to go to LR for time being. It does have muted colors in it which don't show well in the photos....soft blues, greens, and brown. So I wanted you to see the resulting LR situation if I steal the blue one for the den. I took photos from several angles so you could see flow.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    You're back! And look at all you've done! I love the rug switcheroos, that one you call the blue rug is a winner! And that framed artwork on the black chest, how perfectly that picks up colors from the rug. Also think the paler grey brown works fine with your LR, in fact it lightens it up a bit. Love all your pops of color, even though my personal favorite golden yellow is gone I will try to get over that. LOL. Your cute black chairs are crying out for lumbar pillows in either that persimmon/red or green color. I think you are there! Are you happy????
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    I like the switch. The more muted grey/ beige rug seems to complement the dark brown walls in LR slightly better and gives it a lighter feel. The greenish rug looks good in the newly painted den. If, however, a richer and more formal look for the LR is preferred and viewed more positively in your area, it's also fine to keep the greenish rug in the LR and move the grey/ beige rug to the den.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, crew. I think the rugs have found a new home. We just finished taking the black/gold one upstairs to office. Whew! A lot harder to get one of those big boys up a flight of stairs than down! But the best surprise is that it looks fantastic up there. All that pattern gives the dreary office (which really is a working office) a nice pop. And... The black with a lot of cherry looking office furniture looks masculine. So that's good.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Joey...it appears dark to me too, and that's one of my complaints. You can bet I'll be brightening up as soon as I get things in place. Thx.
    This might be a good place to ask a question about lightbulbs. There are so many kinds these days. Does anyone have a preference or what is best to use, type and wattage, in lamps to maintain color, etc?
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Misslaur....no no....your beloved yellow is still here....just didn't happen to be in photo. And there are lots of yellow flowers in the art which is propped on the dark chest. (By the way, I'm thinking of reframing that piece. It is an original oil....with a linen liner....but the gold painted wooden frame is enormous in proportion to the size of the canvas. I think I might like something simpler for this room....but wonder if the overall size will be too small for that space then. My thoughts wander as you can see, but with rugs settled maybe I can move on to accessories now. Feeling good, thx.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bellesum...the beige/gray rug is something that might get replaced in the next phase of repainting anyway.....maybe next spring/summer. The LR and DR will be repainted next. Will lose the dark brown walls but at this point do not have any idea what I will choose. All options open now that I have "neutralized" the transitional areas. Another project for you Houzzers, too!
  • carolpagnini
    10 years ago
    Your color choices look great. What is the color of your cabinets and trim.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carol...unfortunately both trim and cabs were a custom mix. But since I just had trim repainted, I will see if formula is written on can. The kitchen (and bathroom) cabs have a mocha glaze on them which changes them a bit...but fireplace mantels, bookcases, etc do not. They are exact same as trim. Let me know if formula would help you and I will look for it.
  • carolpagnini
    10 years ago
    Yes, I would love to get the formula. Thanks for taking the time to try to find it.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    mkhodges, I will sleep better tonight knowing that golden yellow has not been banished from the kingdom. LOL. Personally I love the look of a substantial gold frame against a grey wall, think it enhances both. But that conversation is for another day. You have so many nice accessories I'm sure you will have fun with that part! Enjoy your carpets and enjoy knowing you will not be moving any of them again in the immediate future! :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    The paint color looks great! Some of your styling looks classic/ traditional.. Maybe add a few contemporary pieces ? I agree with switching out some fixtures in entry with oil rubbed finish.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mandillo...I would say MOST if not all of my things are traditional. And that is my challenge....to try to streamline it a bit...freshen...blend. I certainly would not object to a piece that leans toward contemporary....a coffee table for instance. In fact, I'm tired of the glass one...but that is one area where I have nothing in the house to trade out. Thx for your comment.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just rehung these three pictures in the foyer hallway. Before I hang that heavy mirror over the chest opposite the front door....I would like to know if Houzzers think they are too high?? Originally, they were staggered....with first and third one lower than the middle one. I thought I would try them even this time. I might have liked them better staggered. They will be no trouble to change.....no devastating hole in wall.....but the mirror will be a bad boy. So does anyone have an opinion on hanging the mirror and pictures??
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It might help if I attached the photo!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    LIned up is good. They seem right for a hall - not too high. Not sure about the mirror - this is where you need a more transitional piece to signal your intent I think. A starburst ?
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Actually I have wanted a starburst mirror. Have looked locally with no luck. Have never purchased anything like that online. Do you know a good source?
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    The pictures look good lined up. Isn't the wall a little small to show off a starburst mirror?
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Pictures look great in a row. Not sure how their height, though, relates to height of mirror going over the chest? I hear what libra design is saying about making that a little more modern but not sure the starburst would go with your lamp? I would hang the mirror, low over chest, with rest of your vignette. Then maybe keep an eye out for a slightly more modern plate to display there to freshen it up? Looks beautiful.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The wall behind the chest is 49"....yes...probably too small for a starburst after all. I've looked around today and the few starburst mirrors i found that would fit are probably not significant enough. One that I liked is 48"....too large. The rectangle mirror that you see is 29" wide which seems to me to be right size. It is a dark rubbed gold...not brassy or shiny. I do have another mirror that has a dark pewter colored frame...perhaps I'll take a photo of that one (it's not being used at this time) to see what y'all think about the style. Probably not much different except frame color. The lamp could probably be swapped out for something less bronze/gold also...the plate can easily go away..and then the treasure hunt begins again with a clean slate.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carol...hope you can read this:
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is another possibility for foyer mirror. That is not the same paint color as foyer, btw. It was stored upstairs in a bedroom closet and too heavy to haul down unless I'm certain I want to use it.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Gotta love treasure hunting in your own home! I like both mirrors. Only potential issue I can think of with silver frame is will you like your current lamp with it?
  • Cheryl C
    10 years ago
    This is a very interesting post. I too am trying to make my traditional home more transitional. So far, lighter wall color , off-white panels for windows and modern light fixtures have made a big impact. Very good suggestions in this post.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, I won't like the silver mirror with any of the stuff on the chest. That would mean a whole new plan for that vignette....which I don't mind...but since it's getting close to Holidays...I think it might be wise to hold off changing too much too soon. I usually decorate that area with a wreath hanging right on the mirror anyway and different things on top of the chest. I'm almost to a point where the house is "put back together" from the painting...not perfect and not finished...but at a point where holiday decorating will take over anyway. There are other things that I can tackle....such as those messy bookcases!
  • Kathy
    10 years ago
    Have you ever used the monkey hooks to hang heavy objects? They make a very small hole. Works like a miracle.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ccahls....jump in anytime and share more of your experiences. Im so grounded in traditional....lots and lots of "stuff"....this is not easy for me even though I love the fresh, calm feeling I experience in "less is more" homes. But I think there is a fine line between too warm and too cold. I truly appreciate all the comments and suggestions here.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sharpkl....I have seen those but never tried them. I couldn't see how they could work. Glad to hear they work! Are they difficult to install?
  • Kathy
    10 years ago
    Very easy. They are available for different weights. I hung a heavy pine shelf with two of them. My husband was aghast. It is full of dishes too. Perfect for mirrors.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Before you sign off mkhodges, I hope you'll post at least one before and after picture of the difference the new paint color made in some of your rooms! You'd give all of us living with what I refer to as 'old gold' walls a healthy dose of inspiration to make changes!
  • Cheryl C
    10 years ago
    Mk. Your house is beautiful, especially with all that gorgeous molding. I have been focusing on neutralizing and repurposing what I already own. Transitional style is generally tone on tone with traditional and modern elements. But I can see that you already know that. So far, in addition to painting, I have introduced drum shades to some of my lamps to make them more modern, used sunburst mirrors, slipcovered a few dark pieces to lighten up. I like think that I'm "Young-ing up"my house by introducing modern elements. I too, feel that I'm in unfamiliar water!
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Misslaur, I don't plan to totally sign off on this discussion just yet. I was thinking that my focus might shift as we get nearer to holidays. Since this is my first time to post a dilemma on Houzz, I'm wondering if it's better to continue this one as I have questions about drapes, bookcases in this newly painted area or start a brand new dilemma just for that??

I have been totally surprised by how many people, locally and otherwise, are doing exactly what I am doing. It is not easy to take that first step outside our comfort zone. The paint job did it for me; after that, I was committed. And, other than throw pillows, I have purchased very little "new" stuff but have switched around a lot. When I started...I expected to replace a worn sofa...and install some drapery panels. My wish list included kitchen backsplash, one new piece of art, mirror, lamp or two. Hopefully, all this will gradually be taking place. (I'm thinking of asking Santa to bring the one good piece of art; I have
    my eye on something done by a local artist, slightly abstract style.)

Sorry this post is so long, but wanted to encourage those of you who want to take the first step in this transition. The hardest part was getting started.
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ccahls...do you sew? I am thinking of sewing my drapery panels. There was a time when I sewed all of my drapes, etc...but it's been a long time. Would love to have slipcovers but no way would I attempt to sew those myself....lol
  • Cheryl C
    10 years ago
    Yes I do know how to sew, but I know my limitations. I am about to purchase 2 slipcovered Parsons chairs to tone down my Queen Anne style dining room. I purchased a ready made slipcover from Ballard designs to recover an ottoman and I purchased ready made slipcovers for my kitchen chairs that I altered myself. Best wishes with your window treatments! I've made some in the past. This time I purchased simple cream twill panels from jc Penney. They really brightened up the room. However, I love your shutter style blinds! I wouldn't change them. they're lovely!
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cc, I intend to keep the blinds and just have ceiling to floor panels on each side. I want the panels full but they don't have to "work." Someone suggested dummy panels which are hung on the shorter rods which don't even go all across windows. Not sure how I feel about those but admit it causes a less cluttered look than going all the way across above existing blinds. I should show pics of windows for opinions on that. When rods are decided I think I can sew the curtains.
  • carolpagnini
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the paint information. I took a picture of your receipt with my phone and I'm heading to the store today to have some made up :) :)
  • mkhodges
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carol...after you test it, let me know how it works for you. What are your wall colors? I have used this trim color in both a latex and oil formula. The latex is on the interior shutters; oil based most everywhere else.