Software
Houzz Logo Print
ericamorrow

Builder mirror upgrade dilemma

13 years ago
Help Houzzers! I need help with my ugly builder mirror. I was thinking a few different options. Either a long smaller mirror cut and beveled by a fabricator...or framing the current one into three sections with either espresso or silver , or removing the mirror and replacing with ???????????????? Keep in mind we are selling , but don't want to invest money in two vanities. The counter is super long, like 102". The sinks are what is making it tough, because they are sooo far apart. Pardon my stuff, I'm staining the 90's honey oak cabinets an espresso. Wall color is greige.Thank you for your advice!

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Looks like the cabinets are already an espresso color. One option is to create 2 smaller mirrors from the one that is currently on the wall.
    Erica M. thanked Dytecture
  • 13 years ago
    It may make the bathroom feel a tad bigger if you went with two proportionate mirrors, centered over the sinks, and frame them out to match the cabinets. Keeping the continuous countertop ties them together, and helps to balance the 'off-centeredness' of the cabinets below. Once the doors are back on, they'll have a better feel to them. You can always put something a bit on the tall side on the counter between the sinks - maybe a mid-height plant or a short stack of shelves for the wall between the mirrors, leaving the back open to let the wall color show through. Another thought - maybe an inexpensive set of shelves that match the cabinets for wicker baskets or rolled towels that can go in underneath in the middle. It will help make the whole unit seem more like one piece.
    Erica M. thanked wannadiferntlook
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Erica - Is that a reflection of sliding mirrored closet doors? Those, along with the big wall one and the medicine cabinet, is too much mirror for one room...the reflections can become disorienting. Have a fabricator cut down the wall mirror for two rectangle ones - so that they fit proportionately when framed, within each sink-to-light-fixture space. If you opt out of the shelves for the opening below the countertop, maybe just a wicker basket with rolled-up bath towels in it will do the visual trick. Shallow basket, towels sticking up and out of the top.
    Erica M. thanked wannadiferntlook
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all! I love your pictures Darzy.If we frame it, I'll do like the 2nd or 3rd pictures. I have never seen the first picture done that way before. Very interesting! Wannadif- we thought about adding shelves below. We will definitely do it since it's so obvious, there is not enough storage. I'll put pretty towels on it as you suggested. The mirror is so wide that if I framed it, I think it will have to be two squares, plus a center larger square, because the sinks are offset. Either that or one big frame around the whole thing. If I did the two only over the sinks/fixtures, the squares would be either too small or the sinks would not line up. I have little pieces of painters tape on it, racking my brain about the scale. So rectangular...do you think vertical like Darzy's first pic or horizontal larger ones like these? http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sonoma-double-width-wall-mirror/?cm_src=AutoRel

    I can have a place do the mirrors of whatever size if I figure out what size to do! You have all been super helpful, thanks again! I'm also open to putting in a new closet door, my husband doesn't like the white frame.
  • 13 years ago
    The previous comments are great, I agree either frame the whole mirror, create two frames and glue them to the mirror over each sink and or add a separate different mirror in the middle to define that space more.
    Check out the images and think outside the box, it's very inexpensive to glue some moulding to the mirror and add one unique mirror in the middle. I added a few different options to show you that it only adds interest to treat the treat the space different.y.
    Have fun
    Erica M. thanked sailorleigh
  • 13 years ago
    I would say that replacing it with two deprecate mirrors for each sink is pretty popular but since your selling you would have to think about the cost and the repair. I've never pulled a mirror down that big that didn't take large chunks of drywall with it. An alternative would be to spray paint a frosted boarder or make a frame around it. You even have to room to set up a little cabinet in the middle flush against the mirror to deprecate to two sinks.
    Erica M. thanked joshuadovemastertilesetter
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry, I should really check my spelling before I hit submit!!
    Erica M. thanked joshuadovemastertilesetter
  • 13 years ago
    Why are you stressing about this mirror? Do you think this mirror will stop the sale of your home? Let it go... Focus on appraisal and inspectable items,
    Erica M. thanked kadodi
  • 13 years ago
    I agree. I don't think the size of the mirror will be a big issue in selling you home. People will be happy to have two sinks. Why don't you hang a longer, pretty piece of art on the mirrors to visually divide them. Use a 3M removable hook.
    Erica M. thanked Debp
  • 13 years ago
    Totally agree that mirror is not a problem.
    Erica M. thanked Angel 18432
  • 13 years ago
    My bathroom was almost identical! We removed the mirror (be careful! Ours was glued to the wall and secured with the little tabs!) We placed three beautiful but inexpensive mirrors from a store called Kirklands over each sink and one over the vanity area. We had only one light fixture but added a fixture over each mirror.
    Erica M. thanked drbabytooth
  • 13 years ago
    Remove the large mirror. Get two mirrors with frames. You surely have room to add a tower on the counter between the two sinks. That would help close that wide expanse of counter.
  • 13 years ago
    Keep in mind that if you decide to remove the mirror that it will probably damage the wall behind the mirror due to the builders adhesive used to attach tot the wall. Mirrors of this size are never installed with only hardware.
    Erica M. thanked jeanniebalducci
  • 13 years ago
    O.k. thank you all for your input and guidance. Our boys bathroom had a builder mirror that was big, that we removed, because it was in bad shape and had to go. It was not attached at all, so we thought maybe the master was easier than we originally thought. We fixed all the major things for inspection, so now we are just competing with others in the same price point. We do have all the drywall items from fixing some work we did, so it would be work, not really tons of money if we remove it (just replacement cost). Replacing is more than framing, so we will just go with framing and some built in shelves. I really like leelee's pics though! I know it will sell, but don't want it to sell for too little. We really just don't want to sell for less than we paid! We are in San Diego. So while I would love to slap some marble or granite down, I am not going to risk an expense like that, since the kitchen and guest bath have it in already.. We put two mirrors in the kids bath. It helped tremendously. Framing the mirror out should help it, and doing the shelves with make ours just a bit different from all the cookie cutters nearby. This bathroom also has an awesome barn door! Thank you all!! I'll post a picture when it's done. :)
  • 9 years ago

    I would put a frame around the mirror. have you checked out frame my mirror or mirrormate? I used them on my other bathroom came out great


  • 9 years ago

    people people people, look at the dates before commenting. i'm sure she sold the house already!

  • 9 years ago

    Lol yes, and I ended up adding a custom frame. The house sold in 2 days while I went to Disneyland:) Thank you all. https://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/48/bigphoto/035/140027035_22_0.jpg

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    lol. thanks for the update Erica! too funny. and the end result really turned out well. I would have done exactly what you did.

  • 9 years ago

    How nice is turned out.