Software
Houzz Logo Print
leeann4813

Living room redo

12 years ago
I would like some advice on my living room redo. The first pic is the TV wall. The two pillows are new and they are the inspiration for the room. The chair on the left is a cane chair I painted and will redo the cushion in the Greek key gray fabric. The hallway with a picture with dark green matting. The other side of the room that faces the TV. Behind the recliner is a buffet. The other side of the room is the sunroom. As you can see I have a lot of white. I love white with pops of color. Its a small room with no real walls except the TV wall.

Comments (110)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay. I wouldn't paint the wall an accent color. Would get more substantial tv unit.

    Here is what I would recommend for a rug for your space


    http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Fiesta_II_Area_Rug/310/
    Lee Ann thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 12 years ago
    that is a beautiful rug! I really like the blues and greens. I appreciate all your advice and I will post some pics of any new purchases! But keep the suggestions coming! lol!
  • 12 years ago
    leeann4813, as I said before I just love your home. Was nice to see more pics posted of it. I hope you don't paint any walls. The white just looks so perfect with your furniture. Your kitchen looks nice as well. Excellent decorating skills. cdrdesign is giving you some great advice about rearranging furniture.

    leeann4813, about your chair from Wayfair. How did you feel about purchasing a chair you had not sat in? And after you received it, was it okay and comfortable? That is my only concern with buying pieces like that on-line. :))
  • 12 years ago
    Oh yes I agree about cdrdesign. I know there are better arrangements out there than we have chosen. It's hard to get hubby to agree. :( He's the fly in the ointment. :( I can try to work on him. I like the chair. It ended up being a different color than I thought. Chairs are so expensive, this was the only way I could get one under $300. So I gave it a shot. I would like it better if it were more white. It's more of a cream color. Other than that, it's a nice chair.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay will ask about buffet for the last time.

    -I cannot see buffet well, but looks to be nice from what I can see. But, you have all this light furniture and then this dark piece is sort of out of the blue. It is also sitting sort of awkwardly half out of the wall. Top cluttered (but that is an easy fix).

    If you really want it there and are moving chairs to by tv (which is what you said you plan on doing), I would either move either its front or its back flush with the wall next to it.

    What purpose does it serve? Does it store dishes?

    Of course all your choice (and hubbies, LOL). Just telling you what I see.

    Chandelier is gorgeous!
  • 12 years ago
    Nice rug, cdr.
  • 12 years ago
    The buffet was sort of a compromise. Hubby likes wood and I thought with all the white, it needed something dark to anchor the room. I moved it to the other side of the dining room and centered the table in the room, if not under the chandelier. Then I moved the recliner back and over against the wall and moved the cane chair next to it. The slipper chair is still next to the TV. What do y'all think?
  • 12 years ago
    leeann4813, those pics are nice. The niche top next to couch is like a built-in side table! I do think hubby is right about some wood tones to help with all the white. It makes a nice contrast. :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay......muuuuuuuuch better!

    (That is, if you can move the chandelier to center)

    Now the buffet has a place of its own and the art above it looks grounded. It just did not belong behind the couch. If you decide buffet stays there, bottom of art s/b 4" from top of
    buffet.

    Now, how about a couple of tall, narrow buffet lamps and an awesome bowl filled with limes

    Like photo below, but longer, narrower bowl.

    [houzz=
    Fun and Funky Mudjimba Beech House · More Info
    ]

    family room: (sorry, I am perfectionist and won't quit till it's perfect).

    looks much better!! I would

    -move couch back toward dining room, so that the back of it meets the dining room side of wall. Center couch on tv.

    -move end table back to where it was originally.

    -you might be able then to place one chair on sunroom side of couch. (but I think you are better off, as you suggested, just placing both by tv and moving them when you need them.

    Great progress!!!!!

    What does hubby think?
  • 12 years ago
    Are you going to get rid of armoire, like you said? I was going back over your all your pics and I like the chairs on either side of tv. Maybe put slipper chair to left of tv, as it is higher and I think would look better by wall. I see why that is nice arrangement for conversing and if tv watching is necessary, chairs can be easily moved. Once you pick a rug that should really pull room together and so many wonderful examples have been given to you and your husband. :))
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Groveraxle, thanks for carefully placing the rug in the family room. I love the purple bird you had flown in for the occasion.

    Room coming together!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Agree with unwanted that chairs best by tv and always put heavy item to left as the eye likes heavier stuff farther away.
  • 12 years ago
    cdrdesign, I'm so excited that an actual design professional agrees with me about the chair placement. You have made my day!!! :D
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Also like how buffet visually balances tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Leann, that looks so much better with the buffet against wall. And the picture is perfect above it. Can you center table under chandelier? I have that same cream chair-ordered from overstock. Nice conversation chair. When I got it, my 79yr old dad said "so you finally got a comfortable chair!"
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You made my day, unwantedadvice, with your name. Love it.

    Yes, big things toward the back or farther away and/or if neither left of right is farther away, then choose left. That is why the dark buffet looks good against the wall, not floated out in middle of room.

    Your advice is "wanted".
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Cindy, look at quad of pics above. Can't center table under chandelier w/b too close to buffet. Chandelier will have to be moved or swagged.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, couch is back centered in front of TV and oh so perfectly in line with the wall! LOL! I put the slipper chair to the left of the TV. What about the plant and "pouf"? Hubby has left the house, that's how I could get away with changing the furniture. I will see what he says when he gets back. He won't like moving the light, but if he likes it enough, he might. What do you think about removing the armoire and placing the loveseat there in the corner? It's amazing what a few changes can make in a room! Thanks so much to all y'all!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Leann you are a real trooper!

    Hurry like a bunny and get the stuff off buffet and put something you have one there---nice centerpiece. Tell Hubbie we gave the buffet the place of honor it deserves (oh, by the way the chandelier needs to be moved).

    I don't think you need a pouf.

    Plant stand: can we see it up close? Better in sun room?
  • 12 years ago
    Leeann, your new pics are great! Good job on rearranging that furniture. The slipper chair does look nice on the left. How did hubby react? :))
  • 12 years ago
    Good morning! Yesterday got busy and I never had a chance to respond. Hubby was just ok. I convinced him to live with it awhile before he decides one way or the other. It's not that he hates it, he just doesn't want to move the chandelier. It will leave a hole in the ceiling and can't be re-textured. I will put something nice on the buffet when I get home from work. I only put the plant stand there to show what I nice tall plant might look like in that corner...per groveraxle's suggestion. I think it will be better in the sun room too.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thanks, Leeann. Well, it wasn't a "no", so progress.

    How do you like the buffet there?

    If you are going to put a plant in that corner, it should be something tall and substantial.

    I think the plants will look good in the sunroom if grouped together, since they are small.

    Chandelier fix: medallion or opportunity to add some puck lights to accent art.

    [houzz=
    MIAMI INTERIOR DESIGN - JADE OCEAN · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Dining Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    For buffet, would hubbie or you like anything practical as well as aesthetic there? How about a small wine bar, liqour bar, coffee bar, etc?
    [houzz=
    Raveninside Interior Design · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Windslow Drive - Mission Inspired Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Your wood floors are absolutely gorgeous! So much character with all that variation in color and grain!
    Lee Ann thanked User
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree! They remind me of a floor we did several years ago. It was a super wide white oak floor. Here is a shot.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi yes, a medalion would be really nice on the ceiling. And since the chandelier doesn't have to move very far it would cover the hole. The buffet does serve as a liquor bar but I love the idea of a coffee bar!!
    Thank you DutchCrafters. The floors are a natural hickory. We love them.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, floors are gorgeous!

    I think we could come up with some fabulous ideas for your coffee bar!!

    [houzz=
    Coffee hutch · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Mediterranean Kitchen · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Custom Kitchen by DPSheetz Designs · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If you do a coffee bar, you might want to consider moving art to over fireplace or to front and hanging a mirror over the buffet.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with grover...you really need a longer console...it just doesn't look right having a smaller one under it.

    Have you chosen a rug yet? I think it will really change your room.
  • 12 years ago
    I have a lot of great rug suggestions. Now I just have to get shopping. Rug, console, plant. So I have cleared off the top of the buffet. I've added a hand carved bowl we got in South Africa. And a pretty sorry looking lamp. LOL! Not the best, but all I have on hand.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Wow---I love pieces that are collected and tell a story. Of course, though, too small for space. Maybe add some other bowls?

    Place lamp on some coffee table books a closer (a little overlapping art so that you get the effect of what a higher buffet lamp will look like.

    What is the plant for?
  • 12 years ago
    Here's a green bowl! Inside the green bowl is a white bowl full of oyster shells I collected on our honeymoon in St. Michaels Maryland. And I put the sorry little lamp on some books. The plant is for next to the TV?
  • 12 years ago
    leeann4813, glad hubby was okay with changes. Like the art over buffet. As far as chandy is concerned can't it be swagged over to hook, then no hole in ceiling? I don't know if this decorating idea is passé or not!! My mini has underlined swagged but I looked it up and it says it is a word, so there iPad mini!! :))
  • 12 years ago
    I wondered about swagging the light, too, but I really like the idea of a medallion.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, I forgot about medallion! But wouldn't a large one cover up the hole?
  • 12 years ago
    Well, actually it would need to be moved over about 2 feet. So maybe swagged would be a better idea. Or else it would be a really big medallion. But a big medallion could be really pretty! Like in the picture cdrdesign posted from Jade Ocean.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thing is........the buffet is sooooo perfect there and the table is soooooo perfect there, so getting the light to work is essential. You could get a hook to try a swag and if the hook did not work, it would be covered by the the light/medallion, too. Do you have chain for swagging?
    I am not sure I like a lamp on the buffet. I like the sentimental part of the shells, but I am wondering if that dish could go in the little window type opening by the couch and the plant/pot that I think there on the buffet maybe? It would be a little taller for under the pic????
  • 12 years ago
    I'm sorry, leeann4813, you had already mentioned earlier about medallion covering hole. I'm trying to play catch-up right now with my current threads and reading things wrong. I have quite a bit of heavy cleaning to accomplish this week and my daughter is taking my iPad mini with her to work so I can get stuff done. I was going through withdrawals all day!! I managed to stay off desktop. :)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Plant for tv: here is a rule of thumb: think "big to small" when choosing pieces. So, wait till you buy a console for your tv before you add a plant. Also, if you have 2 chairs there, I am thinking you don't need one.

    Buffet: For now, green bowl is much better scale, but I don't like the idea of the bowl in the bowl and green bowl is still not large enough. You could take those shells and add to them really large starfish or conch shells. This is just temporary, right?

    Anyway, you are going to do a coffee bar, right.? What do you want on there? Single serve machine, cappacino/espresso machine or something else? Go to Willimans Sonoma for ideas.

    Medallion idea: before you think about moving chandelier, let's make sure it is in right place. So first, is buffet centered btn end of drape and end of other wall?

    I cannot tell where the dining table is exactly in relation to other things. If you are looking at amoire wall, I think it should be centered in the middle of the room. Is that where you have table, center of room?

    Then, where is table centered in the other direction. A little down from buffet?

    Unwanted, you crack me up!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I am loving the Hickory and White Oak flooring suggestions! I'll throw some pics in to keep it going.
  • 12 years ago
    Right now the table is centered looking at the armoire wall. The other direction, it is directly across from armoire. Should it be further down toward fireplace?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I am trying to think of the' formula' for the distance a table/chairs should be from a wall or buffet. Is it 18 inches or 20 inches? I think I would go with that number to keep that chandelier closer and easier to work with???????? My opinion!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Okay, that is good that it is centered on the wall with the window and amoire. As far as the other direction, I think you will have to determine that. If it is centered in the room, then the whole room is a dining room. But, then that particular table is too small then.

    So, I am thinking you are better off keeping it sort of where it is, near the buffet end.

    Abby, there s/b 36" beyond the table and to the wall or next piece of furniture to allow one to pull out a chair. There appears to be about that amount of space.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, it looks good where it is. And there is 36" from the table to the buffet. Do you think the armoire should stay?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think the amoire looks awkward in that corner. It is just too large and looks shoved in.

    Maybe in the sunroom?

    How wide is that wall next to the fireplace and how wide is the sunroom couch?
  • 12 years ago
    Fireplace to wall approx. 8'8". Sunroom couch 5'4"
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    So, about 20" free on each side of loveseat. Sounds like it will work!
  • 12 years ago
    Going out of town tomorrow but will post pics when I get it all moved! Thanks everyone!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Can't wait to see pics!
    inspiration for sunroom to begin thinking

    houzz=
    Sunroom · More Info
    ]
    houzz=
    Sea Captain's Home · More Info
    ]houzz=
    Traditional Sunroom · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    How is it going?
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH